A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is crochet harder than knitting?  (Read 9637 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knitwitUK
« on: April 07, 2006 11:31:54 AM »

Hi - Ive just about got the hang of knitting now, thanks to Stitich n Bitch and have now completed three jumpers, some hats and a sock (sock was a bit stiff so didnt make the second one!)

I've already ordered Happy Hooker ( im in the UK so it wont get delivered until the end of April  Sad ) and I was just wondering whether crochet is harder than knitting? or just different!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog at: http://knitwituk.blogspot.com/
I love to do personal swaps Smiley
potatovixen
If this were my career...

... I'd have to throw myself in front of a train

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006 11:51:49 AM »

I personally think crochet is easier, but it has a lot to do with which one you learned first. I learned to crochet about three or four years ago, so when I picked up knitting needles, it just didn't feel right.

That being said, I know a lot of knitters who have trouble crocheting, but from what I've heard, this is a good book for anyone (even knitters! it says so on the cover!) to learn from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pam: "Okay, if I have to do this, based on stereotypes which are totally untrue, that I do not agree with, you're maybe not a  very good driver."
Dwight: "Aww, Man! Am I a WOMAN!?"

www.myspace.com/potatovixen04

http://potatovixen04.deviantart.com

http://potatovixen.livejournal.com
beans
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006 12:12:24 PM »

I was just trying to explain this to someone yesterday! I think that the big difference that makes crochet seem easier is that mistakes are easier to fix. There is no fiddling around with dropped stitches, reverse knitting and twisted stitches, since you only have one stitch worth of loops on your hook, not the whole width of the project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaffrin
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006 12:39:33 PM »

I've already ordered Happy Hooker ( im in the UK so it wont get delivered until the end of April  Sad

curious. i'm in the UK too and got mine from amazon.co.uk a few weeks ago. delivered next day  Smiley

i personally think crochet is easier than knitting in some ways, and harder in others. i find it easier cause it's more one step at a time than knitting, and i find it easier to pause and think about where my next stitch needs to be. also cause i'm not very co-ordinated i think it's easier with only one implement to wield and not two  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

butterflygirl
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006 02:55:26 PM »

I think crochet is much easier - have knitted practically all my life but never really liked it that much. I struggled to learn crochet but once I got some good clear instructions it was really easy.

I'm in the UK too and ordered the book from Amazon and if I remember right it actually came before Amazon claimed it was being released IYKWIM.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lookagnome
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006 03:02:50 PM »

i beg to differ. i knitted first and lovvve it... then one day i got stranted in a strip mall with a michaels for 2 days (long story) and decided to crochet my first hat... its not hard but it takes more concentration than knitting (lots of counting stitches and following patterns)... i can knit in the dark but when it comes to crocheting i tend to hurt my eyes staring at the little stitches so i know which one to stitch in next. i always tend to increase and decrease without meaning to-- knitting is more rigid because you know where each stitch is...
i guess once you get used to crocheting its not much harder tho (by the end of the hat i had figured out the basic muscle motions and didnt have to stare so much)
good luck!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starberrii
Silly banana

Wacky Alpacy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006 05:19:22 PM »

I couldn't ever get the hang of knitting. For some reason everything I started making ended up getting increasingly wider, I guess I was picking up extra stitches or something, but I got the hang of crocheting straight away. I guess everyone has different learning styles and preferences so just have a go and see how you get on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zeeblebee
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006 07:36:07 PM »

I agree with Starberrii; everyone learns things in different ways and what is easy for one person will be very difficult for someone else.

I learnt to knit first, but never really enjoyed it. Learning to crochet was really hard for me, as I found it difficult to control the tension as it wasn't something I had done before (drop yarn and pick it up again type knitter Wink) but after I got that happening I found it much easier than knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sam13
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006 11:13:11 PM »

I learned to knit first, and I definitely think that's harder. It took me a while to get used to holding the needles and the yarn comfortably. In crochet, it's hard to know where in the stitch to put the hook into, but easy once you get used to it. Crochet seems a lot quickerthan knitting, now. I'm glad I learned to knit first, though, because I think knowing how to do one makes the learning curve for the other a lot shorter.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ditsy
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006 11:16:19 PM »

I knitted first.

Took me a little while to get my head round how to crochet.

I'm slower at Crochet but it is so much easier to go back and fix mistakes with crochet.

Nowadays it depends on the project to which I choose to do. 

(I do neither partially well)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Side Bun with a Bun Ring
The Best Picks for Hair Masks
New Holiday Party Hair Ideas
How to Get Volume in Your Hair for Christmas
Messy Braids Hairstyle: Backstage at Nicole Miller Spring 2014 Show
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...