A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rigid Heddle Loom?  (Read 1922 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knittertoo
« on: April 07, 2006 07:42:00 AM »

I am hoping to get a rigid heddle loom for my birthday in May but was wondering what the best one was?  There are so many to choose from and I just don't know where to begin.  I am a new weaver so this is all greek to me at this point!  Thanks so much in advance!

angela
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chipper
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006 08:11:32 AM »

I love my 32" Kromski Harp.  They have 2 other (smaller) sizes, too.  The Harp has a warping board on the back which is cool.  It definitely makes measuring out the warp easy and with no extra purchase.   I like that it folds up with the project on it.  This makes it portable and it takes up less space.  you can see it here http://www.pacificwoolandfiber.com/Weaving.htm   I have the stand for it and the 8dent heddle too.  I Love this loom and would totally recommend it to anyone.

Ashford as a new one out that they are calling a "knitter's loom"  see it here http://www.pacificwoolandfiber.com/Ashford%20Looms.htm  but I have no experience with this one though

Good luck!
--chipp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittR

hi, i'm jennie, and I'm a craftaholic.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006 03:54:29 PM »

Thanks for asking this question knittertwo! I've been researching these too. Here's another question- (very newbie)- can we do different weaves on the rigid heddle loom? I've seen some types that can only do the "plain weave".

Thank you!

Jennie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.amoebicjewelry.etsy.com jewelry
www.bitsiebrand.com whimsies
www.littlebeadshop.com semi precious gemstone beads and cabochons
chipper
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006 04:09:26 PM »

you can do other weaves on a rigid heddle by using pick up sticks or a 2nd heddle.   I don't really have any experience with this those cause the "plain" weave is more than enough for me Smiley  I like to say "over and under, every other one is about as advanced as this brain gets"  Smiley

I just put pics of my latest project on my blog.  Feel free to check it out at  http://weaverbrewerandthefam.blogspot.com/
--chipp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006 07:41:58 PM »

With some experimenting and 2 heddles on the same loom, you can get other designs without pick-up sticks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
ceedah
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007 01:34:36 PM »

Question for chipper or anyone else - I am a prospective weaver and am going to take a class first, but if all goes well, the loom I've been eyeing is the 32" harp. Here's my question: does that refer to the width of the loom or the width of the fabric it creates? I'd love to be able to weave fabric wide enough to sew clothing, and so I wouldn't want it to be any narrower than 32".

Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chipper
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007 07:21:12 AM »

well, of course, I can't find a tape measure to save my life this morning to measure the full width of the loom  Roll Eyes  (darn kids  Wink

I have woven some baby blankets 31 inches wide.  There was still a few more slots, so you can get very close to a 32 inch piece of fabric (the loom is wider than the 32" but I'm not sure exactly how wide due to that ever elusive tape measure, as soon as I find the darn thing, I'll measure it for you)

You will love the harp!  at least I love mine Wink
--chipp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ceedah
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007 09:22:27 AM »

Thanks, chipper! That's good to know. I'm excited to learn to weave. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Curved Edge Quilts with Bias Binding
Quilt Top Design Advice
How to Build Your Own Bean Bag Toss Game
DIY Colorful Leather-Wrapped Keychains
DIY Craft Trays for Cars
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...