A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,825
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone up for a duct-tape dummy-along?  (Read 21343 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2006 12:53:42 PM »

You're probably wondering why I suggested that... haha.  About an hour into it I started sweating heavily and feeling like I was about to throw up.  So I used the scissors I was currently using to try and cut myself out... but that wasn't looking too good!  So I started panicking and finding more scissors to cut with.  And finally I found one that cut through the duct tape really well and cut myself out.  Then I plopped on my bed and fell asleep... lol ( I started taping myself at 11:30pm)

Teena, I'm so sorry. I read this and almost died laughing.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Please don't think wrong of me, I only laughed because I know EXACTLY what you went through.  When I tried making mine I had the guy that keeps following me around tape me up.  So I used the garbage bag and duct tape method.  He's not really into anything that's not electronic so he had no clue what he was going to do.  What I would do is sort of instruct him where to wrap and how.  So while he's wrapping he's a little nervous about messing it up so I tell him to take it easy he was just fine.  After a while I started getting a little hot, but I really wanna do this dressform ya know and I KNOW for a fact that if I say something, he'll stop.  And anyways it's just a little sweat.  Think sauna, BrightEyes.  You're burning calories.  After a while I started being a lil uncomfortable with heat and I felt a little difficult breathing but I said nothing.  After another while it got a little hotter and more suffocating so I told him to please cut cause I was too hot.  So he used the same scissors he was using....so obviously he couldn't cut me out.  That's when the claustrophobia kicked in.  I have my scissors, my shears, and embroidery scissors.  To each scissors its task and nothing else.  The more I panicked the more dizzy and hot and hard-of-breathing.  So I told him to forget the scissor tasks and to just get  the shears.  Then I felt like everything was going somewhat black and he was scared of cutting me.  At first I told him to be careful so the dressform wouldn't get damaged but after a while I just started gasping to forget about cutting me or the dressform and to just get me the hell out.  HAHAHAHAHA  I barely didn't make it to my sofa.  Plopped right down full of sweat with the fan on and breathing and just trying to get back to normal.  After everything was normal I told him I'd save the money for a bought one.  HAHAHAHA  So see u weren't the only one.  HAHAHAHAHA

Don't feel bad about laughing, because I laughed through your story too! LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one, though.  Oh my, that claustrophobic feeling was the worst, isn't it?

Horrible!!  I've always been like this person that can handle just about anything and to just have that awful feeling and be sort of helpless.....uugggh...never again.  See, I'm the kind that learns quick.  LMFAO Grin

Vote for my 360 theme!!  http://my360theme.com/theme_detail.php?id=219

I never have an idle day,
New ideas come my way.
Don't know yet what I'll create,
But my imagination's great!
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

My 3 guys are gonna be joined by a baby in March!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2006 07:07:39 PM »

I decided to do a mini one for a doll set I'm working on. Thought it might be easier to do the clothes that I'm hoping to be able to do right. (ever read the poem "the Highwayman?) This doll will be Bess, the landlord's blackhaired daughter who was in love with the Highwayman.
It was really easy. No Boobs!!!!!lol

Isn't it just too cute?! Mini dummy!   there IS duct tape on the inside!

not a clue on whats yp with the picture. Oh well, you get the idea!

I miss you Gramma! Jo Saunders, 5/20/1931- 10/11/2012

I've wisted stuff!!  http://www.wists.com/clonedbravo
Just like the Gypsy woman said!
Check out my ETSY, please! http://www.etsy.com/people/prancingdragon
Interstitial Hitchhiker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2006 03:47:38 PM »

If you find that normal hangers make the shoulders too wide / misshapen, what about a child's coathanger? You can usually get them for next to nothing at WalMart or Goodwill.

Also, I think most skirt hangers are a good deal narrower than standard coathangers...

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2008 02:24:36 AM »

We made one today after all the great stories here.
I think it looks fantastic.
The wooden coat hanger fitted inside my dummy. We went right over my shoulders and slightly down the upper arms.  You definitely need something there to provide the 'bones'.  I used a solid rubber pillow cut/ripped into smaller pieces and hobby fill to stuff it. The bottom of the shape is made of cardboard and I used an old lamp stand for the base.
I'm planning to make the dummy a cover of some sort.
I was the guinea pig for our sewing group. Everyone else is very keen so we should be able to post a group photo of all the dummies in a while.
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2008 12:06:33 PM »

I made one the other day just need to close it up on a stand.. but havent found a stand yet..
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2008 01:27:59 PM »

My friend just helped me make a PAPER TAPE dummy this morning!  We used gummed paper tape (Staples brand fiberglass-reinforced paper packaging tape) over a Coldwater Creek garment bag.

I wanted to use this method because I've read that it's lightweight and you don't have to stuff the form afterward.  It was trickier than I expected, tho'.   If you use too much water--we were dunking the tape--the tape will slither and slide.  We finally got the shape anchored by putting a bunch of dry tape right on top, followed by tape with water sponged on. 

I didn't freak out with the taping until it got to my lower torso, and then for some reason I started to have trouble breathing--even though it wasn't very tight at all--and I took a lot of short breaths and finally felt okay. 

Of course at that point I couldn't move very well, and then my husband came in and started joking about leaving it on me--harhar.  My friend had to leave (she'd been wrapping me for about two hours) and my husband helped by taping my neck up and using masking tape and duct tape to hold down the ends and edges that weren't sticking all that well.  He was really good at it too!  What a sweetie.

We have three pairs of upholstery shears, the smallest about an inch bigger than standard sewing scissors and the largest as long as my upper arm.  It sure helped when he was cutting me out of the form.

It is a shock to find out exactly what you look like in 3D. 

The form stands up on its own, and my plan is to make another dress form of my legs and lower half and join the two together, since I want to use it for fitting pants too.  (I'll have to hang it from the ceiling instead of putting it on a pole.) 

Then I'll decoupage the daylights out of it to make it good and sturdy.  If I need to stuff it, well...I will. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008 02:05:09 PM by fididdly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Women are the one group that grows more radical with age." --Gloria Steinem
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2008 10:39:53 AM »

I made one of these and have a few tips:
1. Take your measurements and compare as you stuff your dummy, even though the tape does hold it's shape it is still pliable and over stuffing can change the dimensions. 
2. Compare your real shape to the shape of your dummy as you stuff- my middle is more oval shaped , but the stuffing made the dummy want to be more round- my brilliant hubby had to come to the rescue several times, he took a measurement of how wide I am and put a small wooden dowel in the dummy to help it retain the proper dimensions
3. If you choose to use the plumbing foam stuff that expands be sure to fill it a little at a time, it won't dry properly or expand correctly if you just empty the bottle into the dummy.
4. I used a microphone stand as the stand for my form- this way she can spin around and I can raise and lower her, This went into the dress form prestuffing with a few pieces hubby procured from the Home Depot.
5. When hubby is cutting you out of your form- be careful!!!! I have a tiny little scar on my tush from where he got me a little- Scared him more than it hurt me and we laugh about it now- but still be careful!
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2008 10:59:19 PM »

Is there anyone out there that would still like to make one of these?  I just found this thread today and I want to make the paper tape kind.  I made a duct tape one several years ago but it did not turn out well and it is long gone.  I am buying the tape tomorrow as well as stand materials.  I decided that making the stand first would work best for me because then I would have somewhere to park the form when it is done.  I would love to hear from someone who is working on this now, it looks like all the old posts are over a year old.
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2008 11:31:51 PM »

I know the last post on this is over a month ago, but I'm hoping there's someone out there who still hasn't made one of these (like me!) and wants to. I'm hoping my daughter or hubby will tape me up here in the next few days.
Anyone else going to make one very soon? Grin

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2008 11:53:58 AM »

I'm thinking of making one of these but my hubby is one of those people who have to get things perfect so i know i'll be in it for weeks whilst he gets all the tape at right angles! and that is putting me off a little.... I may get my mum to do it.

Life itself cannot give you joy
Unless you really will it.
Life just gives you time and space
It's up to you to fill it.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop a Group of Images
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Edit Multiple Images at Once in Camera Raw
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Open and Save .DNG Images
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to View Image Metadata
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop and Upsample Images
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Party
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Needle Minder
The Legacy of Bob Ross

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...