A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone up for a duct-tape dummy-along?  (Read 18594 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

facelikeallama
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006 04:41:56 AM »

Hehe, I just made one a couple days ago, it was an interesting experience.  I'm paper macheing it with newspaper, old crossword puzzles, and old sudoku puzzles at the moment, though, because we didn't have enough duct tape and it's not as strong as I'd like it to be.

I think that these are good motivation to lose some weight, too... hah, it'll be fun to make a new one in a few months and compare the two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twelvety
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006 05:22:33 AM »

My partner gave me 10 rolls of duct tape for my birthday in Feb specifically to make a dress form, I must go find them and get cracking on it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a real big prawn!

wistalicious
http://www.wists.com/twelvety
re
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006 09:49:35 AM »

I made one this weekend, I'll post pictures. I used only 2 rolls of duct tape, and stuffed it full of newpaper. I don't reccomend newspaper, it was too lumpyish, and deformed my 'chest' a bit. maybe I didn't add enough tape.

but, it holds its shape well, and I plan to try to fill it with spray foam next weekend, if It looks like I can afford to.
I am sticking 4 plastic kids hangers tied together inside the neck to hang it. the thickness of the four hangers supports it well.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

le_coiffeur04
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006 10:05:05 AM »

Hello I have reading about these online and around. Anywho one guy filled his form with that expanding foam. You buy it at the hardware store in a can and put your bottom piece on then filler up with the foam. This stuff really grows. We used it on our house one year and its like a monster and gets like 10 times the size it is when it first comes out. but its a great idea and lightweight but very strong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spinningwoman
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006 01:18:52 PM »

I used two and a bit pillowfuls of stuffing in mine, plus the cups of an old padded bra inside the boobs to help hold the shape.  (Though actually I'm not convinced that made any difference.)  I quite like the fact that it is squashable, though I did stuff it pretty firmly.  And it means I can make adjustments - as with my waist (see next post).

I re-stuck the cut line from waist to base, then stood it on a sheet of cardboard and drew round it for a base - before I stuffed it, so that I wouldn't distort the shape.

The stand was the stand from an old lamp.  I tried a few ways of fixing it on, but I really wanted to be able to take the dummy off the stand for storage.  So what I did in the end was fix the hanger to the end of a tight roll of corrugated card which went down through the dummy and out through a hole in the base.  I put that in before stuffing and stuffed around it.  Then the pole of the stand goes up into the centre of the cardboard roll, which holds it quite firmly but lets the dummy swivel round.  The hook of the hanger protrudes from the neck, so I could hang the dummy up if I wanted to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spinningwoman
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006 01:36:58 PM »

I tried it with my 'check dress'  - a dress I own that is soooo tight I can get into it but nothing much else, and it seemed spot on - dummy could just get it over her hips, but only just.  She looked like me in it!  Yay!

When I came to measure it, the hips were spot-on, the bust was a little bigger than my measurement, and the waist was about 1.5inches bigger.  When I rechecked my bust, I decided that the dummy was my 'breathe in' measurement, whereas I had always measured my 'breathe out'.  Given that I quite often breathe in when wearing clothes, I decided to go with the dummy<g>.

I was going to go with the bigger waist, for the same reason, but when I checked it by trying on some of my skirts, it didn't work.  My loosest skirt, which is waiting for me to take it in, fitted her perfectly, and my tightest, which I can wear quite comfortably but shows strain at the buttonhole, wouldn't do up at all.

So I decided to operate.  I made vertical slits with a scalpel about six inches long at the sides, one at the centre back and two at the front roughly where a princess seam would cross the waistline.  I gave her a big hug and zipped the tight shirt up.  Then I tied a string round my own waist, marked the knot, then took it off me and retied it on her to keep the measurement right.

At some point I will restick her 'darts', but for the moment, the string is holding it all quite nicely in position, and it means I can easily adjust it.  I think I will use her as-is to make a skirt, and decide whether it feels right.  I seem to be able to measure my waist and come up with anything in a two-inch range, so I don't feel any great confidence in the numbers; I'd rather do it from experience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meandering mind
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006 04:11:29 PM »

Such a clever group of folks! I am new to Craftster and this seems to be the ideal way to jump in! After all the excellent advice, I can't wait to get started making my dummy! Will post the finished product, I hope!
Has anyone ever tried this with a child? My grandchildren aren't close enough to try on garments when I sew for them and this would be a neat tool to have...Wonder if they would stnad still long enough? LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spinningwoman
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006 02:35:06 AM »

I have seen some examples on the web of child-forms - mostly made by distant grandmas like you, in fact!  I should think the children would love it, and it is so cheap you could re-do them as they grow.  One person who did it for her kids said how cool it would be to have the old forms as a record of what they looked like at various stages - kind of like handprints/footmoulds on steroids!  All I can say is that she must have a bigger attic than I have - I can just imagine what my house would look like if I tried to keep a series of old dress-forms as well as all the other stuff you keep as kids are growing up!

Also, as I found when my waist size came out too big, it is just sooo easy to make adjustments.  I would think that as they grow you could keep adjusting for quite a while before you needed to start from scratch - imagine it like one of those 'adjustable' forms; if you split it at waist, centre front, back and sides, depending on whether they were growing 'up' or 'out' you could re-fit the form to them and re-tape it every time they visit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stereoette
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006 08:18:43 PM »

um, so i went over to the dark side and my mom bought me a dress form for easter... i like it thus far but i am trying to make a cover for it with padded chest etc. any ideas for how i would go about this? right now i have a cotton/lycra blend tank top on it but i sort of would like my tank top back...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
re
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006 08:04:28 AM »

I made mine!

here it is:
http://www.verycrafty.ca/dummyre.jpg

I put a bra on her to make her less bare, but she actually looks funnier now.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013 08:40:45 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working image to link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Raw Donut Recipe
Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
Double Cinnamon Sugar Cookies Recipe
Salted Caramel & "Chocolate Chips" Recipe
Fudgy Pecan Brownie Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...