A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,509
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone up for a duct-tape dummy-along?  (Read 19119 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spinningwoman
« on: April 07, 2006 06:31:39 AM »

I'm hoping to persuade/force/bribe my husband and or kids to help me make one of these over the Easter holidays.  Anyone else  want to join me so that we can encourage each other and/or send for the emergency services when we realise we can't get out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
le_coiffeur04
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006 10:28:22 AM »

so what is it you want to make? A dress form. I am up for it but we need some kind of instrustions. Do you paper mache first then cover with duct tape. Sorry I just wanted to clarify what you were talking about
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spinningwoman
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006 12:39:23 PM »

Sorry  - I should have explained.  I only found out about them this week.  It is a way of making a dress-form/tailor's dummy that fits your shape exactly by basically getting someone else to tape over you with duct-tape, over a long t-shirt you don't mind sacrificing, or else a bin bag.  (Apparently some people have taped themselves, but it could be risky if you fainted or something, and doesn't produce such a good result.

If you do a search on the 'Miscellaneous Completed Projects' board here, you will find a tutorial and several other accounts. 
'Threads' magazine site has an article here: www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00002.asp
This woman has a short tutorial on her website and sells a booklet with more details, but basically it doesn't seem that tricky.
http://www.leanna.com/DuctTapeDouble/

Plus, I'm part way through mine now, so I'll post my experience.  My daughter threatened to disown me if I took photos while I was wrapped, but I will take some pics as I go along now that I'm out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spinningwoman
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006 12:50:13 PM »

Stage one is getting the ingredients together.

Buy plenty of duct tape - I nearly ran out because I didn't twig that the other people who were saying 'two rolls is plenty' had 60m rolls, and I only had 25m rolls.  I bought three, and we used one for each layer, with about 2ft left at the end, which is not enough to stick it up for stuffing.

Also think about how you will stuff it - I bought new pillows at Christmas so I'm going to disembowel the old ones.  Supermarket carrier-bags and crumpled newspaper can also be used.  Apparently it takes more than you think.

You need a sturdy coat hanger - wooden or one of those shaped ones from a heavy suit or coat.

If you want a stand, what are you going to use?  I had one of those lamp stands that has spotlights climbing up a pole - it hadn't worked for years, so I removed the spotlights and kept the pole and stand.

You need a piece of cardboard to close the bottom.

A marker pen that will write on duct tape and not wipe off.

A sturdy pair of scissors.

A piece of string with something heavy on the end to use as a plumbline (I used a small torch for a weight)

Something to cover the parts of you which will be taped - see next post for this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spinningwoman
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006 12:56:54 PM »

The instructions on Leanna's site say to use two old t-shirts - used a sleeve from number one to make a high neck for number two, and the base of number one to extend number two downwards so that it covers your hips.  Other people have used a bin bag.

I didn't have any t-shirts I wanted to sacrifice, so instead I used some t-shirt fabric I had around to make a long, high-necked close-fitting t-shirt shell.  I just drew round my tightest t-shirt, extended it out and down to mid-thigh length, and overlocked the seams.  I had to slit the neck down to get it over my head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spinningwoman
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006 09:00:11 AM »

So when you come to do the wrapping, you need to get everything ready before you are immobilised, because if your Significant Other/best friend, teenage daughter/mother is anything like any of mine, they will have no idea where to find a pair of scissors or a permanent marker or a piece of string.

Go to the loo first - this could take well over an hour, though mine went quite quickly.  Choose your location so that if someone comes to the door, someone else can answer it without displaying you semi-wrapped to the unsuspecting caller.  I decided on the bedroom so that if I did fall over, I could fall on something soft.  Tie long hair out of the way.

Things I have learnt by doing it:
1) Wear your most substantial bra and tape your boobs yourself, unless the other person is really in tune with what you are trying to achieve.  Just taping over them is likely to squoosh away their shape.  I taped in a 'cross your heart' pattern first, from shoulder down to opposite ribcage, then did strips underneath like one of those invisible stick-on bra things, then ditto over the top, then filled in the middle.  If you are bigger than me (not hard) you might need to use small strips or clip the edges for a smooth shape.
2) Put a fairly tight strip round the bottom of the t-shirt or whatever, to stop it creeping up, and a strip as tight as the tightest waistband you like to wear round your waist.
3) Leave the neck until last - I felt fine until we did the neck, but then I wanted to get out ASAP so I was glad we did this.  On the subject of necks, remember to remove any neck-chains you wear - I didn't think of this and the chain got cut in cutting me out.
4) First layer goes on horizontally, round and round, each strip overlapping the last one slightly.  Make sure you can breathe normally, but don't worry about the corset effect on sizing; remember it is going on over the top of you, your undies and the t-shirt, so compressing things a bit should work out fine.  If you go over your boobs, use shorter pieces to keep the shape.
5) Second layer goes on vertically.  Don't obsess over neatness, but do get your wrapper to clip edges that won't lie flat.  This is the hardest layer to do, so be nice to them or you might end up half-taped.
6) Third layer is horizontal again.  Then do some vertical strips up the neck and then some round, being careful not to go too tight!
7) Before you cut it off, use the plumbline (weight on a string) to mark vertical lines at front centre, back centre and sides.  Use a permanent marker.  Mark nipple and belly-button positions and also where arm meets shoulder.
Cool remind your helper not to cut your bra-strap or your knickers.  Have them cut straight up the back, then help you out of it.

Go and relax before doing anything more, because you need to be thinking straight for the next session.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stereoette
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006 09:53:18 AM »

hey guys, i'm going to be doing this along with y'all... i made one a little while back but i think im going to be re-doing it b/c i feel as if its startingi to loose its shape (i used packing tape instead of duct tape). I'm not sure when I'll be able to get started but hopefully soon!

ALSO - does anybody have any good ideas about making a cover for one of these? Id love to be able to pin right onto the cover, like you can with the "real" storebought ones...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
spinningwoman
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006 12:29:43 PM »

Well, I'm wondering about doing the same thing I did instead of using a t-shirt as the base - making a skin-tight shell out of t-shirt material and slipping it over.  Obviously for this one I'd take a bit of care over measurements instead of just hit&hope.  The other thing people have done is use one of those 'basic patterns' to fit a skin-tight shell, which would also mean you had a sloper pattern adjusted to your measurements.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spinningwoman
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006 12:42:43 PM »

Before I get on with the next bit of duct-tape-diary, I just want to skip ahead and say how cool it is having this thing!  I have never had a dress-form before, and now I have one which is me!  It isn't finished yet, but I have been dressing it up in my clothes to check the fit, and it is such fun - like having a life-size doll that can wear your clothes.  If you've ever wondered 'does my bum look big in this' or strained to see your back view in the mirror, now you can dress up your dummy and see yourself as others see you.  (Well, except for the headless bit, of course).  Shame it can't wear pants - I did wonder about doing one with thighs but decided that was a bit complicated for a first try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurpleHeather
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006 04:19:35 AM »

Thanks for the detailed instructions - I'm getting a couple of rolls of gaffer tape from my dad soon, so I'll give this a go Cheesy

I think my boyfriend is looking forward to wrapping me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make a Medium Sized Bowl 2 - Trimming and Using a Giffin Grip
How to use Two Clays for a Marble Effect
Finished Pieces from the Kiln - Follow Up
How to make a Porcelain Vessel with Wire Inlay
How to Decorate with Slips and Carvings - Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...