A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,077
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A beanie with a bill. Inspired by newsboy, rasta, cabbie caps. Now w/tut &pics  (Read 33323 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tiegh
« on: April 07, 2006 02:51:10 AM »

I was looking at all the posts with crochet hats and it inspired me to make one of my own.  It's sort of a beanie with an improvised bill.  I was looking at this post and decided to concoct something.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=22332.0

And here it is.

Although it's getting late in the season to use it in the snowy mountains, I can still wear it for chilly mornings outside.  I'm super pleased with this because I look doofy in regular beanies and I think I look decent in this one.  And it will keep my ears warm which is very important. 

I used red heart yarn, burgundy, rose pink, and some creamy white colored something I had in my yarn box.  I had several other photos I was going to post, but they won't upload properly.  I even had a monkey face photo.  Everyone should have a monkey face photo of themselves and their friends.  But that's just a tangent.

Thanks for taking a peep!

tiegh
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006 07:53:02 PM by tiegh » THIS ROCKS   Logged
starberrii
Silly banana

Wacky Alpacy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006 04:50:10 AM »

That's fantastic. The colours look really interesting together and it really suits you. I'd love a pattern if possible.

Lindsay

P.S. Your eyes are a really awesome colour too!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Croshayqueen

I make crochet SEXY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006 05:40:49 AM »

Fabulous hat! Love the brim, I GOTTA make more hats. I was JUST going to say the same thing about your eyes too! Goreous color, I bet you hear it all the time Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiegh
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006 07:51:32 PM »

Thank you for the hat and eye complements.  My eyes would blush if they could.  But they can't.  Fortunately, I think.

So a hat tut, huh?  Well, I read that this morning and decided to make pics to go along with my muddled attempt at directions.  I haven't made crochet directions before, but I'll try just the same.  I'm sure there are plenty of good hat tut's around here, but I'll give you mine anyway.

HAT BODY:
I used Red Heart yarn and my favorite size I crochet hook.  I tend to be lazy, so a bigger hook and more strands of yarn = less time spent working on a project and more time wearing it.  And here we go...

Ch = chain
sc = single crochet
st = stitch
hdc = half double crochet
yo = yarn over
sl st = slip stitch

Row 1:  Ch 4 and join to make a ring

2:  Ch 2.  This counts as first hdc now and throughout (just like they say in real patterns!).  Do as many hdc's as you can in the ring.  I did 11 so that made 12 st's.  
3:  Ch 2.  1 hdc in same stitch.  2 hdc in each st around.  Join.  24 st.
4.  Ch 2.  2 hdc in next st.  *1 hdc in next st, 2 hdc in next st.* around.  Join.  36 st.

5.  Ch 2.  1 hdc in next st.  2 hdc in next st.  *1 hdc, 1hdc, 2hdc* around.  Join.  I stopped counting.
At this point you should be making an expanding circle, no puckers or domes. Just a flat circle.
6.  Ch 2.  1hdc in each st around.  Join.

This will make your hat start to curve.  I can't quite think of how to explain this clearly, but since you're not increasing your sts, this row will start to pull in to make a bowl like shape.  The pic shows the inside of the hat.
7.  Ch 2.  1hdc, 2hdc.  *1hdc, 1hdc, 2hdc* around.  You want to make it increase just a little bit so it will expand over the curve of your head.  Join.  
8.  Ch 2.  1hdc in each st around.  Join.  
Every couple rows put the hat on your head so you can tell what you need to do for the next row.  I have the center of the hat on the crown of my head.  I think it's called the crown.  It's the center of the top in the back.  I don't know, look at the picture.  

I'm pointing at what I'm talking about.

9.  Ch 2.  1hdc in each st around.  Join.
10. Ch 2.  1hdc in each st around.  Join.
11. I decided it was getting a little loose,  but not super loose.  I picked a random number and did a decrease after every 8 sts.  I don't know if this is really the way you do a decrease for a hdc, but I didn't yo, and pulled a loop up in the next 2 sts.  Then I yo'd and pulled the yarn through all 3 loops on hook.  
12. Ch 2.  1hdc in each st around.  Join.  At this point I have 52 sts around.
13. Ch 2.  1hdc in each st around.  Join.
14. Ch 2.  1hdc in each st around.  Join.
15. Ch 2.  1hdc in each st around.  Join.
16. Ch 2.  1hdc in each st around.  Join and tie off.

Sorry it's blury, but it was the best shot I got.  

That was fairly easy, right?  Tell a friend.  

AND NOW FOR THE BILL OF DEATH:

Oh, man, wow.  Here goes.  I put the finished hat on my noggin and decided where I wanted the bill/brim/visor thing to start.  It was about by my temples, so I stuck my index fingers through the stitches I decided on so I wouldn't lose them when I took the hat off.  Put something in them to mark them.  I just held the first one till I started crocheting it and stuck a pen in the end hole.  Oh, I also flipped the back of the hat up.  Kind of like a Robin Hoodish thing.  I just think they fit better that way.  So here we go.  

Row 1.  From your predetermined starting point, connect new yarn with a sl st.  Sc all the way over to the end point.  Turn.
Here's the kicker, though.  The pic will explain it better, but don't crochet on the rim of the hat.  You want the bill to stick out from the hat, so attach and crochet on the long part of the stitches.  Um, you know how if you do a sc the stitch is shorter in height than a dc?  Well, you want to be crocheting on the height part that makes a difference.  Confused?  Sorry.

2.  Here's what I discovered.  2HDC in each st.  Just try it and you'll see why this works.  It makes the stitches fan out from the hat.  Ch 2.  Turn.

Oh, and that's a hair across my nose, I'm not deformed.

3.  Sc in second st from your chain so the chain lays along the last row you just did.  Sc all the way across until the last 3 sts.  Sl st the 3rd to last st so the rows will transition into each other better.  Ch 2. Turn.

4.  Sc in the third st from your chain.  I wanted the bill to pinch in a little bit so I added 4 decreases in this row.  I tried to space theme evenly, but it doesn't really matter where you put them.  Sc in each st across until the last 3 sts.  Sl st in third to last st.  Ch 3.  Turn
5.  Sc in fourth st from your chain.  I had two decreases in this row.  Sc in each st across until the last 4 sts.  Sl st in fourth to last chain and tie off.  Hooray!

I'm pretty sure the key to the bill was the row of increases.  

When I was done with all of this I added a pink sl st around the edges and across the top of the bill to help it look seperate from the hat.  

I would say the hat part took me about an hour to make.  I've made quite a few of them so it didn't take any figuring out.  The red, pink and white hat was a combination of sc, hdc, and dc, but I decided a hdc tut would be easiest for everyone involved.  The bill was probably about 20 minutes of stitching, scrunching up my nose, ripping out, and restitching.  It was different than my first one, but I like it better.  I had an afternoon intermission to go slacklining, which I l-o-v-e love doing.  Then I finished up and posted for you wonderful people.  

If you make a hat please post it!  I love to see what different people do with the same pattern.  

tiegh

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010 02:32:13 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessaska
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006 07:55:41 PM »

this makes me want to set down my knitting needles and pick up a hook!
its cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetjaime
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006 10:38:39 PM »

Too awesome! I cant wait to try!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xcriot
Don't mind if I do..

MMMbop, It's like an addiction.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006 11:23:02 AM »

I don't know how to crochet, but I knit alot. This makes me want to dry my eyes from the last attempt and try again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If these walls came crumblin' down
Fell so hard, to make us lose our faith
From what's left you'd figure it out
Still make lemonade taste like a sunny day
tiegh
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006 11:42:30 AM »

I'm sure this is a knitting translatable thing to do.  I, unfortunately, am only able to knit either a scarf or a handbag.  Eventually I'll be brave and try cables.  They look easy, but looks can be deceiving.  Actually, I made a hat once but it was too small for me and it took so much effort to make in the first place I didn't want to figure out how to make it bigger.  The increasing and decreasing thing was tricky.  For all of you who crochet but unsuccessfully knit (like me) I found a website with knitting videos for free!  http://www.knittinghelp.com/   I'll get around to trying again eventually.  Her videos are really good. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006 12:01:29 PM »

This is so-o-o cute!  Also clever: something warm and toasty for those of us who don't look our best in a close-fitting, non-brimmed hat.  My round face is also not well-served by most baseball-type hats, but I think the combination of thickness due to multiple strands of yarn, the bill, and the back "flap" may serve me well, so many thanks for the detailed tutorial and pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiegh
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006 03:22:04 PM »

Now here's a question.  I've had several friends ask me to make a beanie for them and they offered to pay for it.  Because they're my friends I was thinking maybe $5 plus they buy the yarn they want since these don't take me long to make.  What if I was selling these to strangers, though?  $15 including the yarn and labor?  I've seen name brand knit beanies in the same style for around $20-25, although I know they make them on machines and probably take 10 minutes to complete.  I am a chronic under-pricer (yeah, I just made that a word) of what I make, so some input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chocolate-Dipped Biscotti Recipe
Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
How to Make Raw Carrot Cupcakes With Orange Vanilla Cream Frosting
Buttermilk Pound Cake Recipe
Homemade Brownie Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...