A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,692
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kool-Aid dyed shoes with vintage rhinestones! New pics on pg2!  (Read 13187 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sissychrissy1
SO GOOD!

eenie meanie miney CRAFT!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006 12:47:59 AM »

Wow, I can't believe you sewed the rhinestones on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fortune_32

Crafty as a fox!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006 07:32:21 PM »

Wow, I can't believe you sewed the rhinestones on!
OMG! I can't believe I did either! I stare at them in wonder of it all! LOL!

My fingers were almost numb - as I stupidly insisted on using my fingernails as thimbles! I'm too stubborn sometimes...
Anyhoo - here's more pics! I wanted to show the electric blue the Kool-Aid powder turned! I was so intimidated to use it, but it really achieved the aqua I was hoping for!

The rhinestones took like 4 hours to sew on...and the dyeing took all of 40 minutes (in between a few drying sessions). I wanted to redo the footbeds too, but I didn't have enough time Undecided Oh well!

Thanks roskate, Starwings20, noelle, junquette, Stifflersmom, kraphtee87, SidekickFancy,  and Sissychrissy1! I'm still pretty new around here, and your comments mean so much!
Thanks guys! Craftster rules!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinaeatyourham
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006 08:46:28 PM »

wow and i was really happy with the shoes i posted but these blew me away!  awesome job--i would never have thought to use kool aid on shoes

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rowlly
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006 05:02:47 AM »

The electric blue would have been nice, but the color you've ended up with is just so pretty, it's really feminine.  Smiley  And the rhinestones are a beautiful touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fortune_32

Crafty as a fox!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006 09:47:28 AM »

The electric blue would have been nice, but the color you've ended up with is just so pretty, it's really feminine.  Smiley  And the rhinestones are a beautiful touch.

LOL! The electric-blueness had me scared senseless before I started! I'm sure you could get that color with the Kool-Aid though, I was just going for a more muted shade than that! The dye seemed to penetrate more where the beading was sewn to the shoe, before it dried it looked kinda runny and blotchy, but it evened out a lot. I only painted on about 4 layers of dye on, but if you did more I bet the color would be much more intense! I was so intimidated to try dyeing, but it turned out to be so much fun!

Oh, and I keep forgetting to mention, but the Kool-Aid left my shoes smelling fruity! Raspberry lemonade smells kinda like Fruity Pebbles!  Grin
And it made my dogs want to lick them! LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheEverFalling

Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006 03:34:01 PM »

Wow- you achieved such a gorgeous color!!! I'm wondering- Do you know what material those shoes are made of? I'm considering making a dress out of white satin and kool-aid dying it, and i'm wondering if it would work! thanks :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That doesn't make sense to me. But then again, you are very small."~Treebeard
Fortune_32

Crafty as a fox!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2006 05:55:22 PM »

I'm relatively certain it's some sort of silk - the dye took very well, and I wouldn't expect any kind of poly content to behave that way. Synthetic satin already comes in so many colors it might not be too tough to find it, I think it won't dye very well, though (if you start with white.)

Most natural fabrics take dye pretty well -  wool, silk; watch out for fabrics that are coated, though! I tested a tiny spot before I went to town, and I'd suggest a dye swatch before you go big scale! I've been thinking of trying to handpaint Kool-aid dye onto fabric, I'll be sure to post when I do! Good luck!

Plant materials (cotton, linen, hemp) won't accept kool-aid dyes, for those you'll need actual dye.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006 08:19:00 AM by Fortune_32 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

highschoolcrafter
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2006 07:29:58 PM »

Shocked wow those are great
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ikissedmadonna
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2006 07:08:47 AM »

Woah! Those came out amazing! They look gorgeous, I love the color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty, baby! <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sandra Brown Talks About Rainwater
Kate Feiffer Talks About Which Puppy
Chasing Brooklyn Book Trailer
Meet Author Mary T. Browne
Robin Kelley Talks About Thelonious Monk
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...