A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,121
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 44 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Heart Healthy Recipes  (Read 1064 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cawfeehowse
« on: July 06, 2004 11:17:03 PM »

The love of my life is only 22 years old and he has just been put on medication for high blood pressure and high cholesterol.  I have vowed to help him lose the recommended 50 pounds, help him get in shape and eat better.  So I am here to ask if anyone has any good recipes that will feel my hungry boy. 

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hanabi
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004 01:28:02 AM »

Your poor BF, that's a really young age to be delaing with such a serious issue! But you should speak to your National Heart organisation..if you are in the USA it is the American Heart Foundation. They always have great guidelines for eating good (like which oils are OK - in moderation) and also usually have free recipes and healthy recipe books for sale. Also Diabetes organistions are good for this kind of info.

Good Luck!

One recipe that I like to eat in summer is a brown rice energy salad - it's really yummy. Basically mix up cooled cooked brown rice with roughly chopped tomatoes, tuna, finely sliced green onions, avocado, torn baby spinach leaves, sunflower seeds, chopped parsley, lemon juice a splash of olive oil and (a wee little bit of) salt and a good bit of ground black pepper. It's really yummy and brown rice fills you up! I also use toasted pine nuts instead of the sunflower seeds cause I like pine nuts better. Actually you could any veggies you liked in it capsicum, cucumber, celery etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lutheranchick
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004 09:19:04 AM »

My family deals with these health issues too, although I've been okay for now.  My grandma actually finds that too much sugar wreaks havoc with her levels, so you will probably have to experiment with what works for your boyfriend and what doesn't.  Unfortunately/fortunately, one of the things that seems to make a big difference in blood pressure is losing some weight (even just a few pounds).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
bookgirl
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004 02:50:24 PM »

I haven't got any specific recipes for you and your boy (only 22! poor guy -- but at least he can start on some healthy eating habits young).  But you might want to get yourself some cookbooks on the various Asian types of cuisine -- dairy isn't a traditional part of those cultures.  Vietnamese food seems particularly heart-healthy.   Just go easy on the soy and fish sauces.

The raw food thing might work for you guys, too.  It's helped my mom tremendously over the years (she has Crohn's disease).  It's a pretty extreme lifestyle change if you really get into it, but you could incorporate a few specific recipes into your repertoire -- a lot of traditional chefs are starting to explore raw food.  Charlie Trotter, for one, has a new raw food cookbook out.  And many vegetarian cookbooks are great resources for low cholesterol recipes.  Gazpacho, hummus and tabouleh are all yummy (I crave them in the summer), and except for a little olive oil have almost no cholesterol.  The Moosewood Cookbook has good recipes for all three.  Good luck, cawfeehowse.  I'll ask around for more ideas for you...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stephannie

Dig that crazy sound.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004 12:28:23 PM »

I love a stir fry,. but the problem has always been the fry part right?  What I do now is I stir fry them in 3 tbsp of flat beer, heated with a clove of garlic and shallot.  then you can put in all the lean meat and vegies you want.  serve in on wild rice and its so good.... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Garbage Collector

Are we there yet?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004 01:24:59 PM »

Grilled veggies are great this time of year.  You can bbq all sorts of stuff ... fresh zucchini, onions, mushrooms, japanese eggplant, cherry tomatoes, corn on the cob, green beans ... just brush them with a light bit of olive oil before putting them on a hot grill then spinkle salt and pepper on them while you are bbqing.  Skewer the smaller things so they don't fall through the grill (tip: if you soak wood skewers in water first, they won't burn).  Serve with grilled fish or chicken if you like meat and brown rice.  I like to go to the farmer's market when I do this and make a ton -- then have leftovers for days. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Super Bowl Team Tee
Spotted: Kristen Stewart in Plaid - Twice!
Emilia Wickstead Spring 2014 London Fashion Week
Fashion Palette Spring 2014 New York Fashion Week
Emilio De La Morena Spring 2014 London Fashion Week
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...