A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,400
Currently Running With Scissors:
756 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bizarre piece of Victorian Kitsch *New* With picture of matching earrings!  (Read 17961 times)
Tags for this thread: victorian_craft , taxidermy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kaylan
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2006 11:27:23 PM »

Wow, I wonder how people would react if anyone started selling earrings with real stuffed birds heads on them today... Not too well, I'd imagine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TAddictedAngelT
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2006 05:33:42 PM »

dude. ew. thats gross.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princesakati
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2006 09:26:00 PM »

my grandmother came from a long line of hoarders, and after her death we found all KINDS of BIZARRE items in her house -- a fur stole that involved 3 little animals (minks, I guess) biting each other's tails was the most horrific for me (although my mother had warm memories of it as it had belonged to her grandmother and she had played with it as a little girl).
anyway, the relevance to this topic is that I wound up snagging a brooch and pair of earrings made out of real beetles!  i never wear them, but i researched them and apparently they were very popular in the 1930's when everyone was obsessed with egypt -- wearing scarabs was the thing to do!
to me, wearing dead dung beetles is a little...urgh, but i enjoy them as a historic object.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You've gotta sing louder if you want to stop war! -- Arlo Guthrie
Zombi

Woman of Dark Desires

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2006 07:25:40 PM »

I like your grandmother - hurrah for hoarders!!  Cheesy I'm in danger of becoming a packrat, because every time I throw something out, I want it again shortly after. Solution? Never throw anything away. Tongue

We got lots of antique linen and beautifu lace edgings from my great-grandmother, but nothing untoward, I'm afraid. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lay her down in her gingerbread coffin, she's so pretty all laid out in white...
I'll be your deadly nightshade, turn your Christmas black, and you can be my Johnny Homicidal Maniac!
corduroy cat
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2006 10:11:46 PM »

wowzers, wish my granny had scarab earrings!
dont get me started about hoarding, i just picked up what i determined to be a fossilized SHEEP JAW with some teeth still in it walking home from work one day. it's so cool to live in a country so old that you can find stuff just lying around! no idea what i'm going to do with the jaw mind you, maybe i should make it into a necklace Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GingaNic

A poor MA student...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2006 12:15:09 PM »

I found a badger skull a few weeks ago... no idea what I'm gonna do with it but it looks kinda cool in a weird kind of way
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2006 01:32:46 PM »

I'm not opposed to taxidermy (though I've read about some individual instances that I consider somewhat disrespectful to the animal--e.g. Victorian displays of animals as musician groups), fur (though I much prefer that the rest of the body also be used in some way), leather, eating meat, etc. What I found bizarre about this--beside the fact of hummingbird earrings themselves--was that the guy who made them patented the process of attaching hummingbird heads to gold. As if he thought there would be such a demand for hummingbird head-encrusted jewelry that he'd better rush to prevent others getting in on the action!

I've never seen a badger skull, but I wish I could find some cool animal skulls to hang on the wall. The closest I've ever come is an old turtle shell, already picked clean and bleached fairly white. I displayed it with some pretty rocks and shells on a shelf in my bathroom for years; at one point I had one of my husband's little pewter dragons sitting by it, because it looked kind of like a cave (in retrospect, maybe that was a little cutesy). 

It would also be cool to have some deer antler for carving into buttons or toggles. And a horn for making a drinking horn, like the Asatru do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Magpie Queen

15-year-old Artichoke

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2006 06:02:18 AM »

Just the other day I found a beautiful dead bumblebee on my patio. I kept it, and I'm not sure what I'll use it for, but because I don't want to kill animals to use them in art projects, I was quite happy that I found him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zombi

Woman of Dark Desires

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2006 10:32:34 PM »

I once found some butterfly wings in a second-hand book. I don't know how they got in there, and I don't think I want to know, but I can't bring myself to throw them away. They're from one of those orange and black butterflies that you see around, and they're so beautiful. I've been keeping them in the book, because I don't know what to do with them.  Undecided
Speaking of butterflies, my dad found a really big one on the back patio once. I don't know what had happened to it, because it wasn't crushed or damaged in any way, it was just dead, so he kept it and put it in a glass display case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lay her down in her gingerbread coffin, she's so pretty all laid out in white...
I'll be your deadly nightshade, turn your Christmas black, and you can be my Johnny Homicidal Maniac!
Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2006 03:05:00 AM »

Butterflies have a really short lifespan, and at this time of year, the most likely answer is that it had reproduced, and expired.  The eggs will lie dormant until next spring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Miranda Kerr Reveals Style Inspiration
Style Sound-Off: Jennifer Lawrence, Angelina Jolie, Liam Hemsworth
Every Piece of Denim You Should Own
How to Make a Jeweled Sweatshirt
Holiday Fashion Tips for Parties and More
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...