A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bizarre piece of Victorian Kitsch *New* With picture of matching earrings!  (Read 18912 times)
Tags for this thread: taxidermy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Magpie Queen

15-year-old Artichoke

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2006 06:13:06 AM »

Felting with Animal Fur!
http://getcrafty.com/blogs.php?user=Project%20UK!&entry=4560
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fero
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2006 07:39:52 AM »

Sorry for slow reply on the old book front!

Its called Victorian Jewellery by Margaret Flower, currently published by Dover but the book was orginally published in 1951. I do believe my mum got it off amazon. Its an interesting read. Some of the stuff is so beautiful but then some of it is just plain nasty. They really were obsessed with animals and making copies of them or indeed as the poor birdies show us, making jewellery out of them. Quite a bit in the book about hair jewellery as well, mmm, lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diosaperdida
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2006 08:10:45 AM »

ugh..I love all animals..but hummingbirds are close to my heart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
jane feebles
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2006 12:54:27 AM »

Hair jewellery I find much nicer that it sounds. I was surprised at how pretty some pieces were

That felting article was pretty cool, thanks for the link magpie queen. My initial reaction was 'ick', but that's mostly because I'm allergic to cats... Her reason was quite lovely, and I have my old puppy's ashes on display, so I can't be too judgemental!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you stitch? Do you bitch? Do you live in BrisVegas?? http://brisbanesnb.wordpress.com/

sighing, she stared wist-fully across the crowded buffet table
cadillac.tramp
Born to Lose, Destined to Fail.

With a Golden Heart comes a Rebel Fist

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2007 03:23:22 AM »

Dear lord *shakes head* at first, I thought "oooh pretty fea..hey! that's a full on noggin!"
I'm torn between laughing at the ubsurdity and being almost aghast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When there's no more room in Hell, the Dead will walk the Earth.

www.myspace.com/xboondockxsaintx
peace2_u_nme
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2007 12:29:21 PM »

This is kind of cool......and kind of gross too. I think I saw something along the same theme on Antiques Roadshow..... very interesting
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SquidPrincess
cephalopod rockstar and all around space babe

just a (squid) girl and her zombie friend

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2007 01:32:19 PM »

Oh, idunno. Kind of unfair to knock the Victorians--the industrial revolution had just happened, all this new stuff is going on...not everyone can think long term about potential negative side effects and write, say, Frankenstein. In retrospect it's so easy to say "ew!" or "what a bad human being!" but do you know for a fact that you'd feel the same way back then, if you didn't know then what you know now? You probably don't.
And, well, yeeeeah. I'd never kill hummingbirds (I don't eat meat, anyway), but that necklace is oddly alluring, in a way.  I'm sure you could do it with clay...or they'd look really pretty made out of glass. Labor intensive, sure, but super fab.
I love Victorian England, however. Lots of nasty stuff going on, sure, but it's never as prudish or boring as so many people think it is... Alice in Wonderland, paintings upon paintings of Ophelia, Frankenstein, Dracula, Jane Eyre...so and so on. Compelling stuff was produced, in Victorian Era England...

On the subject of making one's beloved pets into gloves or whatever when they die...
When my (old, grizzled, adored) pug had to be put to sleep, I didn't even get to see him. I begged my stepfather to talk my mom into letting me see my dog one last time, but nah. I would have loved to have gotten his bones...I wouldn't have assembled them into a full skeleton, but I probably would've made one into a pendant and worn it always. If you're not KILLING the animal just to have the body bits, what's so wrong about it? I would think that it was only horrific if you viewed it as skin and just skin, but when it's a way to remind you of the bond you once shared... It just doesn't seem so inherently bad to me, though it can be.
Then again, I've given my boyfriend a lock of my hair (when it was past my hips!), and goodness knows I'd hand over a vial of blood if I thought I'd get one in return.   Cheesy But I'm a morbid little bastard, so...

Also! I love the wording of the first post! Dear Reader, smelling salts, etc. It made me feel all deliciously Victorian-ish, anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Revolution is a trivial shift in the emphasis of suffering." --Tom Stoppard
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/spooookypants/
la felicidad tiene tu nombre y tu piel
serein
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2007 12:42:46 AM »

The Victorians were also quite into Memento Mori jewellery - the Latin means remember you will die so, the jewellery is worn as a reminder of one's own mortality.
There's an interesting jeweller/artist here in Melbourne called Julia DeVille who does similar things - it's not for everyone, but I think her work is really amazing; confronting and exploring death instead of burying it...
This is her website if anyone is interested: http://www.discemori.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arwena
Art could be ever so funny if it wasn't such a deadly serious business.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2007 01:25:28 PM »

icky, poor little buggers
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my blog at www.prettylittlethings.com
PUFFYsanjo
Why does D.W. have a bowling ball in her room!?

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2010 03:12:03 AM »

The image doesn't show. Could you please repost the picture? I'm curious to see this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
8 Perfect Outfits from Taylor Swift in NY
The Worst Dressed Celebrities Of The Week
The Best Dressed Celebrities Of The Week
How to Get 3 Looks From 1 Dress
Talking With Sarah Ahmed of DL 1961
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...