A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,059
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bizarre piece of Victorian Kitsch *New* With picture of matching earrings!  (Read 17549 times)
Tags for this thread: victorian_craft , taxidermy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2006 03:41:09 AM »

I have a lucky rabbit foot from my Gran, it's mounted on a brooch and the foot has it's own ring on one of the toes. It doesn't see the light of day very often, but it's really sentimental to me because she was really superstitious and believed it was lucky for her (albeit not for the rabbit).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zombi

Woman of Dark Desires

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2006 05:58:31 AM »

I think I still have my rabbit's tail somewhere. We lived on a farm when I was little, and dad used to shoot the rabbits to stop them digging holes in the sheep paddocks. I don't know how I ended up with the tail off one, but it's still soft and fluffy. But lately, it's started to, I don't know, moult or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lay her down in her gingerbread coffin, she's so pretty all laid out in white...
I'll be your deadly nightshade, turn your Christmas black, and you can be my Johnny Homicidal Maniac!
RecycleMicol
Phasing out my swaps for now. I'll swap again later!

Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or do without!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2006 09:29:37 PM »

I found a badger skull a few weeks ago... no idea what I'm gonna do with it but it looks kinda cool in a weird kind of way

Just now reading this thread for the first time...thought you all would like to know that you can make cool sewing tools and notions out of animal bones.  I'd look up the different Ren Fair or 'reenactment' websites that tell how to do this.  It would be cool to use needles, buttons, crochet hooks and knitting needles made from bones just like our ancestors did.  Just be sure to follow the directions...I have read that there are some steps to preparing them that are important for their stability.

-RecycleMicol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my Free Knitting Pattern for Hand Springs Fingerless Mitts:

View My Craft Blog

I'm finally on RAVELRY!  User ID RecycleMicol
FairyWings
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2006 08:58:56 PM »

i have a set of butterfly or moth wings ( kinda small)  that i had found.. actually i can't rmemeber if the body is still attached or not... but i decided to keep it to craft with one day .. it's been over a year now lol.

the hummingbird necklace was pretty because of the colors but  what a disgusting  was to make jewelry  eew.!

I saw a dead moth .. looked like maybe squished, on the apartment steps the other day .. i actually took a good look at it to see if maybe i'd want to use it's wings hehe.
  Hey there is nothing wrong with making use of things that have already died.. just aslong as they weren't killed for that reason.

for butterflywings i thing coating them in resin or something else clear that will protect them from getting damaged would be cool.
  I wonder if i could drown the wings i have in TLS and get a good result. eh beter not, because if it didn't turn out clear enough or was too think i wouldn't be able to peel away the tls w/o damamging the wings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

allthatglitters
ready-to-wear is for pussies

Will rob bank for embroidery machine

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2006 12:46:46 PM »

that hummingbird necklace is so disgusting and beautifully wrong Undecided

i'm gonna buy myself some impala or springbok horns for a modern and glamourous version of the old ppl's hunting trophies.

mounted to a sleek red board and coated with golden leaf metal  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...why buy it when you can make it yourself?
fero
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2006 12:37:01 PM »

I actually got brought a whole book on this sort of crazy victorian jewellery stuff by my mum last year for xmas. They had some crazy ideas, but then they didnt have tv or t'internet so maybe I forgive them a little.

Slightly off topic but a guy I work with was telling me how his wife had a pet rabbit and when little bunny died she had him made into a pair of gloves. Now that I find wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Magpie Queen

15-year-old Artichoke

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2006 12:57:06 PM »

Ooooh! Do you know the title of that book? I would love to read it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jane feebles
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2006 03:26:54 AM »

Slightly off topic but a guy I work with was telling me how his wife had a pet rabbit and when little bunny died she had him made into a pair of gloves. Now that I find wrong.

I find that very wrong. It's worse than having your puppy stuffed and keeping him on the back dash of your car.

And I'd love to know the title and ISBN of that book
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you stitch? Do you bitch? Do you live in BrisVegas?? http://brisbanesnb.wordpress.com/

sighing, she stared wist-fully across the crowded buffet table
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2006 10:35:14 PM »

I suppose if the pet's already dead you may as well, although it'd be very hard to stop oneself thinking about when the pet was alive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2006 07:06:34 AM »

I know we get very attached to our pets, but is it really worse to make gloves from a little pet that has had a happy life than from some other rabbit that was killed just for its fur? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
College Graduate Seeks Professional Style
Burt’s Bees Encourages Catcalling with New Body Butter
Max Factor The Face Winner Behind the Scenes
How To Highlight and Contour Using Drugstore Products
This Ingredient Can Treat Skin Damage And Aging
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...