A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple Crafts for CAMPERS?  (Read 2315 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thighhighnyl0ns

the after school special

View Profile WWW
« on: July 06, 2004 03:43:05 PM »

Hi, I'm new to craftster, though i hvae been snooping for a while.
I am an arts and crafts counselor at a day camp, and i'm looking for ideas to do with the kids, we're running out of things to do and it's only the second week of camp (due to low budget, ancy kids, ect.)!
We have boys and girls aged 4-15. Currently we have making hand-sewn drawstring backpacks with the 13-15 yearr-old girls.
Does anyone ahve anymore simple ideas for any age kids?
Thanks!

-  shannon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3  shannon

come on bambi.get up.try again.
wannabesupercrafty
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004 04:27:35 PM »

i always bead whenever i'm camping... its so much fun!
i think a lot of the girls would enjoy beading if you bought a variety of beads and just plain elastic
a couple of years ago at camp we made sand candles.

http://witch-underworld.tripod.com/sand.html
as i remember with the candles, we used paraffin (?) wax with crayons for coloring.
my not so perfect candles

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Idigmusic

Did I hear a niner in there?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004 04:33:54 PM »

Flower pens are cheap, easy & fun! Just buy pens, some fake flowers(which you can usually find some on sale) & that green stem tape. Seriously everytime I start making those I can't stop! I make them for the flower pot pen holders, but you can just do the pens for a fun pen to use. Actually the flower pots are pretty cheap, too. You can always just paint those for fun flower pots. Just use paint & glitter or decupage them! Also anything with felt. It's a cheap material & really easy to work with. Hope this helps a little!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When the only tool you have is a hammer,
everything looks like a nail"
iLoVeCaReBeArS
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004 07:54:15 PM »

Sidewalk chalk- Plaster, tempera paint, and water
God's Eyes
Tie Dye
Straw Weaving
Perler Beads
Friendship braclets
Popcicle stick bird houses

THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo
Crafty Jule
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004 08:28:31 PM »

Sand art is always fun.  You can make colord salt by running salt in a cheap old blender with some colored chalk. Let the kids layer this in baby food jars, drink bottle etc.

Paper mache is very cheap, white glue, flour, water & news paper. Use baloons, toilet poaper tubes & wire to make skeltons to cover.

Look at the site           http://www.makingfriends.com/index.htm
also                           http://www.dltk-kids.com/

Do you have a stash of basic supplies somewhere? Recyclables? Making freinds has at the bottom of the page where you can put what supply you have to use & it comes up with crafts for you.

Some other sites for inspiration:http://www.mycraftbook.com/List.asp?Subcategories_Action=Find('subcategoryID','44')&Subcategories_Position=FIL%3AORD%3AABS%3A2KEY%3A44PAR%3A%40CatID%3D5&subcategoryID=44         
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/recycling-crafts/denim-pockets.shtml
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/sewing/barrette-holder-pattern.shtml
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/nature/ojo-de-dios.shtml
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/homemade-gifts/book-safe.shtml
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/nature/clam-shell-change-holder.shtml
http://www.make-stuff.com/recycling/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004 08:39:12 PM by Jule » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gillian_houghton
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004 02:20:12 PM »

Shannon-

I'm a Girl Scout troop leader in Manhattan, and each year we go camping upstate. Each year, we work on a project that requires few (and cheap) materials, takes a bit more time than we can commit to crafts during our regular meetings, and has something to do with the outdoors. The girls range in age from six to sixteen, so we need to come up with projects that are interesting to everyone in this age range (not easy!). Here are some activities we've worked on:

NATURE JOURNAL--cut paper to preferred size, bind with dental floss (use a hammer and nail to make holes along one edge or down the middle of a stack of paper, then use a needle to run the floss through the holes), and decorate the front page/cover (if this isn't clear, I can provide a more thorough tutorial, but you can experiment and do it however you want). when the campers go on hikes (either with you or their regular counselor), they can carry the journals and small pencils (the leader should carry those in a backpack so that campers don't inadvertantly poke themselves), and stop periodically to draw what they see.

FIRST AID KIT--collect and discuss first aid materials, then sew and decorate a small nylon zippered bag to carry them (we did this by pre-cutting the material into squares 7" x 10"--sew in zipper first, then turn inside out and sew sides; paint with fabric paint). this project goes over well with the parents.

"SIT-UPONS"--this is a woven mat made out of newspapers--good for sitting around the campfire or on damp ground. using full sheets of newspaper (i.e. 4 pages of text), fold into thin, long strips. Arrange in five-by-five strip weave. (Again, I can provide a more thorough tutorial if you want.) Decorate with acrylic paint.

Good luck!
Gillian
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewing stars
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004 07:14:28 AM »

I was a craft counselor at a camp for two summers a while back, and the thing that the kids all wanted to do was make lanyards.

lanyard directions for a keychain

directions for the different types, like round, square, etc...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
thighhighnyl0ns

the after school special

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004 03:17:05 PM »

I was a craft counselor at a camp for two summers a while back, and the thing that the kids all wanted to do was make lanyards.

thats all they ever want to do! haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3  shannon

come on bambi.get up.try again.
Rivercat0338
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004 02:22:06 PM »

If there is any kind of pond, lake, stream, etc. nearby you could make underwater scopes. Just cut the bottom out of a paper milk carton (which can be decorated with paint and stickers), cover it with plastic wrap, and secure with a rubber band.

Then they can record what they see in their nature journals!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Freckles
I am Woman...Hear me Roar

I am an Addict.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004 11:26:04 PM »

Hey there...I am new to craftster & worked 7 years at sleep away camp.

For your older girls...Batik....stop at the thrift store or garage sale white sheets, cut into reasonable sizes, a cheap crock pot...my awesome craft one was $1.00...paint brushes from the dollar store...have them pencil a design, paint it with wax then dye the whole thing  with rit.  Then frame it... make a twig frame, sew a few button hole on each edge then lace it to the frame.

Journals are great too.  Cheap material with thick paper or cardboard sewn inside...Then have "theme pages"  ie this is me (self portrait)  These are my friends.  Also a great project is collages from magazines in the journal or as the cover itself.  You can also get old christmas tins, and decoupage the whole cover.

With younger kids...salt dough.  You should be able to find a recipe easily on the net, mix it up  let 'em sculpt... you could also tie in with a theme animals, nature, food, if the kids seem to need direction.  Cook 'em according to recipe and then paint, then glaze with poly spray, or skip the glaze.
  For older kids, you can get letter cookie cutters, and shapes, and get thick cardboard to glue name signs after baked and dried.

Another good one is mosaic.  For older kids you can break some old plates, in a pillow case or cloth bag...then check for the super sharp edges...then mix up some grout... don't buy at a craft store, buy a huge bag at Home Depot, for $5.00.  Glue the pieces on pieces of wood, trim around the edges with ribbon, or scrap material...
   Another great idea is to compile a list of your needs, like scrap material, old sheets, magazines, old cookie tins, yard etc for parents to donate is never a bad idea... If you ask for the things people all have sitting around, they will gladly give them, and if you ask in a way that points out how you are helping them clean house as well as entertain their children, it sounds less like begging. ( I know how camp can be.)
  Garage sales are really your friend, if you can get to them on the weekends, craft materials are a dime a dozen...  I garaged saled for months before camp to get stocked up.   
  So I hope I helped with this long rambling reply...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Media Personality Tavis Smiley
Sarah Beth Durst Talks About Enchanted Ivy
Daniel Yergin Talks About The Prize
The Twilight of Avalon Book Trailer
Kevin Davies Talks About The $1000 Genome
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...