A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,105
Currently Running With Scissors:
730 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Teaching left-handed crochet?  (Read 503 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beans
« on: April 04, 2006 09:22:55 PM »

I'm trying to teach a left-handed friend how to crochet, but I'm right handed. I checked out the list of books, and I had a couple of books that had diagrams for both.
What else helped you learn/teach left-handed crochet from a right-handed crocheter, or vice versa?
Does the mirror thing work?
I've been trying to use my left hand, which means that I go slow enough for her to follow, but it also means I get a little confused, too.
Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panda
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006 09:27:20 PM »

Hi,  I have taught a few left handed friend to crochet.  I found the easies way is to sitting directly across from them, that way the see it as left handed.  I hope it helps.....good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crystalwebs
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006 09:35:08 AM »

I am a left-hander, but I learnt right-handed after a aborted attempt to learn facing my friend. Okay, I am slightly ambidextrous, but with crochet both hands are active, and neither need to be predominant. I would just try and teach her right-handed and see where you get to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettynpink
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006 03:58:15 AM »

I'm a southpaw and I learned from the Crochet & Knitting for Dummies kit that I picked up at Michaels. I've supplemented that with posts here and at crochet.about.com.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally updated my profile info!
beans
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006 09:09:22 AM »

I think she'll probably go buy a book or two when she goes home to have here baby, but for right now we are in a town with general stores that barely carry magazines, let alone books. It definitely makes it harder. I had to look through everything I brought with me and find a book that had left-handed instructions in it, but the pictures aren't very good.
I think that what I am going to do is crochet swatches right-handed before, and practice a bit left-handed myself. Heck, if it manages to feel comfortable for me, then I will never have to turn my work again!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crunchy and Sweet Honey-Hazelnut Treats Recipe
Fresh and Festive Key Lime Sugar Cookies Recipe
Dazzling Lemon Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
Merry Marble Snickerdoodles Recipe
How to Build a Layer Cake
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...