A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SLEEVELESS APRON TOP WITH TUT  (Read 4714 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jessiesmess
« on: April 04, 2006 12:28:16 PM »

Summer is coming, and I am getting way excited...

I love apron tops.. and when I wanted to make one I searched and searched and couldnt find tutorials on it that had detailed pics. This is my first made of scraps of fabric I had from a dress, a pillowcase, and fabric leftover from my homemade headboard ..lol.

Anyway, this is only MY take on the apron top. I know there are lots of ways of doing it. It is totally reversable and I love it. I think Im going to sew up some better ties to go through the loops in the back and maybe a pocket on each end.

Back View with floral side out

Back View with green side out

Green Side Front
(the green was a pillowcase)

Floral Side Front (I had to crop my face, I was making the only cheese grin)

Photos Compliments of my daughter ..Smiley

Hope everyone likes..
Tutorial Soon to COme

this was just way too easy. If you can sew a Jordy bag, you can do this.
I took a few pics as I went along , and I think its enough for a tutorial.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2006 02:27:26 PM by Jessiesmess » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap and Clothes from my overpriced apartment in Queens
www.bejessie.com
www.bejessie.etsy.c om
bloggie www.mybrainpurge.bl ogspot.com
Proud member of the New York City Craft Mafia
www.newyorkcitycraf tmafia.com
myspace
http://www.myspace.com/bejessie
Jessiesmess
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006 02:23:16 PM »

NOTE PLEASE IGNORE THE SMOCKING ON THE GREEN FABRIC.. I later removed that part so just ignore it.. It was part of my old experiment in smocking.. lol

take two pieces of fabric with different designs on them. Face them good sides facing eachother and pin together.

Now. measure your chest above your boobs with a tape measure
take about 4 inches off of that (you want a gap across the back)

Example.. mine was 32- so 28 inches is how wide my fabric was.

Take a tape measure and measure from bottom of your boobs to however long you want the bottom panel to be. add an inch to that, that is how long the piece A is going to be.

So I wanted mine about 18 inches long so I cut a rectangle that was 28 inches wide and 18 inches long.. I made these measurements on the fabric and drew them out with a ruler and chalk. Cut this rectangle out and pin together.

Now. measure from under your boobs to above your boobs. What I did was measure between my boobs and it was about 4 inches.. so, the measurement for your top piece (piece B) is going to be the same width as your bottom piece(28 inches for me) and the same length as the distance between your bottom of your boobs to above your boobs, plus one inch for seam allowance (5 inches) Here is a pic to put that in perspective.. the top part (white) is the same width bottom.

TOP PIECE

JUST SO YOU CAN SEE TOP IS SAME WIDTH AS BOTTOM..
(and yes, I trimmed the bottom part so it wasnt all gooofy like that..)

Now take that top part, and ONLY that top part and right sides facing eachother, pin together and sew only the long ends... Now you need to do your loops or your pulls. I didnt take pics as I was doing this, so I will try  to recreate this part..

for the loops, I took one long strip of fabric, about two inches wide and sewed right sides facing together like you would a bag handle... Turn this inside out and press. Take a ruler and mark every three inches.. cut along those markers so you have smaller 3 inch pieces..

take these pieces and fold in half so you have what looks like a loop.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/Jbeland77/loop.jpg

Tuck these loops between the two top pieces of fabric on the short side.. so that the bottom part of the loop (the flat piece) is lined up with what will be the seam on the short side.. I used three loops on each end.. and measured them about two inches apart.. Do this on both short ends of your top piece.. when you are done, you will not see the loops but they will be pinned inbetween the fabric so when you sew this piece together, your loops will be sewn in.

Now, Take your top piece and sew together, leaving a gap open along one of the seams of about two or three inches. You are going to pull your top piece right side out through this seam like you would with a Jordy Bag. This is what it will look like after it is pulled right side out.

When your done sewing pull your fabric right side out and press.. Put to the side

Now, take your bottom piece.. the big one... unpin one long side of it (one of the 30 inch sides) and sandwich your top piece between the two fabrics so that the entire top piece is inbetween your bottom piece fabrics and pin back into place.. sort of like you did for the loops. now, again, sew this piece together on all sides, leaving  gap along the bottom right seam of about 3 inches..

Pull your fabric through this hole JUST LIKE A JORDY BAG.. and you will see your loops are securely in place and your top piece is attached to your bottom piece.. Cute, ha???

Now, the fun part.. the ties.. you can be creative with this. Some people use Bias tape, some people sew their ties.. you loop your ties through the loops and tie in place..

Hope this wasnt too confusing!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006 02:52:15 PM by Jessiesmess » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap and Clothes from my overpriced apartment in Queens
www.bejessie.com
www.bejessie.etsy.c om
bloggie www.mybrainpurge.bl ogspot.com
Proud member of the New York City Craft Mafia
www.newyorkcitycraf tmafia.com
myspace
http://www.myspace.com/bejessie
iluv2knit10
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006 04:54:27 PM »

WAY 2 go

I LOVE all them but  the Floral Side Front  is my fav
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cluelessinthecity
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006 11:40:54 AM »

You and your spron top are way too cute!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft_Addict
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006 02:58:04 PM »

Cute. Definitely on my must make list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When a defining moment comes along... Are you going to define the moment or let the moment define you???
MarignyMary
Is it hot in here, or is it just me?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006 09:41:05 AM »

Love the apron top.  Now if I could just figure out how to reload the bobbin on my sewing machine...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mary
kseiznickska
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006 10:46:32 AM »

Oh my god I love this top!! Thanks so much for the tutorial!! I have been looking all over for one just like this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
_Suicidal_Angel_
people love me do you?

I am eternally a slytherin....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006 11:13:51 AM »

cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Decadent Mac and Cheese, from Ina Garten
A Super Bowl Party Menu, from Ina Garten
Feeding the Super Bowl Crowd, from Martha Stewart
January 12th: Victory Sausage
How to Make a Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...