A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,792
Currently Running With Scissors:
744 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sort of beginner quilt question  (Read 860 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

verycrafty
« on: April 03, 2006 02:28:17 PM »

Hi! I am sort of new to quilting. I have made a quilt before (link to pic http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/verycrafty2/DSCI0021.jpg ) but i want to make a shaggy quilt. I think this will go a lot better than my last attempt. Roll Eyes Anyway, i wanted to make it lap quilt sized but what exactly would be a lab quilt size be? Also, I was wondering what size i sould cut my squares? And, would it look good if i made it out of 22 different fabrics? I sort of want it to look like a crazy quilt but not too crazy. Should I stay with in a color range or two? Or should I just go buck wild and do all the colors I want? I really don't know where to start on colors and I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lorky
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006 07:12:56 PM »

Go as crazy with colors as you want!  I've never made one but I took a class and the teacher briefly mentioned shaggy quilts.  She said it was good to use up your batting scraps because you can sew each square and then sew them together.  She described it as this:
get two 8 inch squares and put a 7 inch square of batting in between.  Sew the 2 together/ quit them like put an X or a squiggle or spiral or some sort of quilting on it.  Then when you've made all you need, you then sew all your square sandwiches together with 1/4 inch seam allowance and all seams on one side so its going to be shaggy. Once you get that done you take tiny sharp scissors and make teeny cuts all along that visible 1/4" allowance. 
Oh, and my last lap blankie was about 42 x 54.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

verycrafty
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006 08:50:34 PM »

What do you do to the outsides? Do you sew them at all?  Thanks for the lab quilt size Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lorky
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006 05:34:03 AM »

I've heard different things.  I would put a binding on just so it will last a long long time. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

verycrafty
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006 08:45:40 AM »

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommeoh
mommeoh

"Things we cannot solve, we must survive."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006 01:43:29 AM »

I made a raggy quilt out of green and blue homespun fabrics.  I used a 1/2 inch seam allowance due to major shredding.  It turned out gorgeous!! I sewed around the entire quilt (1/2 in.)  before clipping seams and then washing (3 times!)  Be VERY careful when clipping, or you will have a quilt full of holes!!!  good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Clever Clothing Hacks You Should Know
Can Your Shoe Addiction Help Beat Breast Cancer?
80% of Women Wear the Wrong Size Bra! Are You?
13 Items Under $100 to Complete Your Fall Wardrobe
5 Ways To Wear Leather Shorts For Fall
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...