A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,649
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Sweater - Am stuck , can you please help?  (Read 555 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CrochetFrnd
« on: April 03, 2006 09:55:00 AM »

Hello friends,

I would appreciate your time to go through this query and answer to help me get out of this issue.

I am trying to crochet a sweater for my baby am expecting. I have done crochet only for botties or cap before but not a sweater but since I knew some basic stitches I picked a pattern and started following it through. Here is a link to the pattern I chose:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/b.e.webb/crchst6mth.html

I am right now doing the 8th row for the sweater and here are the instructions so far till the 8th row:

------------------------------------
Beginning at neck edge with B, chain 59 sts loosely to measure 9-1/2 inches.
Foundation Row:- 1 sc in 5th chain from hook. *Ch3. Miss next ch. 1 sc in next ch. Repeat from * to end of row. Ch5. Turn (28 spaces in row).
2nd row:- 1 sc in 1st space. *ch 3. 1 sc in next space. Repeat from * to end of row. Ch 5. Turn.
3rd row:- As 2nd row.
4th row:- 1 sc in 1st space. *(Ch 3. 1 sc in next space) 3 times. Ch 3. 1 sc in same space. Repeat from * 7 times. (Ch 3. 1 sc in next space) 3 times. Ch 5. Turn.
5th and 6th rows:- As 2nd row, ending with ch 3.
7th row:- Join A. [(Yoh and draw up a loop in next space. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) 3 times. Yoh and draw through all 4 loops on hook] for cluster. *Ch 3. Cluster in next space. Repeat from * to end of row. Fastenh off.
8th row With right side of work facing and B, ch 5. 1 sc in 1st space. *Ch 3. 1 sc in next space. Ch 3. 1 sc in same space. Ch 3. 1 sc in next space. Repeat from * to end of row. Ch 3. 1 sc in top of last cluster. Ch 5. Turn. (53 spaces in the row).
----------------

Note that based on the foundation row which calls for 28 spaces in row, all the subsequent rows have been maintaining the same 28 spaces. I was able to get the same on the 7th row with the clusters also. The problem is with row 8. Based ont he instructions I tried to start from where the color A was left. The sc came up like alternating 1 sc in next space with ch3 followed by 1 sc in next space ch3, 1 sc in same space.... After I did this I am seeing that counting the no. of spaces, I could never get the 53 spaces mentioned in the instructions above. Even if I could every space with ch3 as one and also the ch3 where 2 scs are done in one space, it is only coming up to max 43. I do not understand if I missed anything. I also see that later instructions keep increasing the spaces and am afraid if I dont get it right, it might screw up the later ones too.

From all your experience, would you be able to read through and guide me on the instruction to get this right? Sorry if the question is long, but am stuck and would love to get this done.

Thanks much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006 06:26:37 PM »

I've been sitting here for 20 minutes trying to figure this pattern out and, like you, I can only come up with 43 stitches for Round 8.  I wonder if it's a typing mistake.

Here's what I suggest - go back to the pattern on the web and at the top of the page is a link that says "Back Main Index" - click on that.  Then on the next page, in the upper left hand corner is a link that says "Home", click on this.  At the bottom of the next page is a link to e-mail this lady.  I would e-mail her and ask if this number is correct.

Wish I could help more but it's got me stumped too!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006 06:28:09 PM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Prepare an Onion in Chinese cooking - Part 2
Prepare an Onion in Chinese cooking - Part 1
Prepare Broccoli for Chinese food
Prepare Bok Choy for Chinese food
How to store cooking oil for later use
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...