A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,330
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: purple felted bag  (Read 7586 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

karynlibrarian
I finallly have a blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006 10:11:17 AM »

TessTessi - Thanks for the link and the advice about the Pursenalities book.  I'm a librarian, but I'm SUCH a bad library user!!! I work in a high school library and tend to buy the books I want instead of borrow them.  I'll check the local library's website as soon as I'm done with this and see if they have any of the books you suggested.

fire*rocket - I'd LOVE to see a picture of your Booga bag when you're done.  I loved knitting mine, but I must say, that i-cord seemed to take forever to knit!!!!  I think I'd like to investigate leather straps for my next one. 

Which brings up another question....any idea where to buy leather straps?  I'm thinking just plain, maybe 3/4 inch leather.

I spent far too long last night reading the thread about the marsupial purse in the Stitch'n'Bitch book.  I think that might just be my next project.  I live in Ontario, and don't have the greatest selection of yarn shops available to me.  I am going to use Patons Merino for my next bag.  Does anyone have any other suggestions for good feltable yarn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006 06:59:03 AM »

Here's a purse I made using Knit Picks Wool of the Andes.  I love the way Wool of the Andes felts, with a nubby boucle texture.  It's 100% wool and very reasonably priced at $1.79/ 110 yard skein!

I used the basic Booga Bag pattern, but adjusted it to make the base larger and sewed the handles on prior to felting.  I also used a 7 stitch i-cord for the handles to make them wider.  This is my favorite felted bag so far.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006 11:33:18 AM by Calysa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
squidge
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006 07:36:41 AM »

That's a gorgeous purse!  I love the colors and how it looks felted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
80schick
Don't mess with the librarian

I love purple

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006 02:15:15 PM »

OOh OOh OOh. 3 of my favourite things: bags, purple and a librarian (like me) we were separated at birth!! I have yet to try felting, but a certain young lady who calls me mum wants a felted messenger bag from Stitch n bitch nation.

Welcome to the family karynlibrarian, you'll find this a friendly, resourceful and supportive community

Phyllis
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karynlibrarian
I finallly have a blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006 06:52:34 PM »

Calysa - I love your bag!!! I love the way you modified the pattern...may have to try that next time!
           I also love the yarn that you used, it looks like it felts great.  Unfortunately, I live in Canada and although I can have it shipped to Canada, I'm afraid once the duty is added to the price, it isn't as cost effective as it is for you. *sigh*

To my long lost sister, 80schick *he he he*.....I'm also an 80s chick! 

Update on my new felting addiction:  I'm almost 3/4 of the way through knitting the marsupial bag from SNB.  I'll post pictures when I'm done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calysa
I heart Anegada

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006 05:48:58 AM »

Hopefully you can find a yarn (locally) that will felt fabulously and not break the bank!  Keep trying new ones, and if you do test swatches, save them with the pre-felting and post-felting dimensions so you'll know what kind of results to expect.  I write the info on index cards and staple the swatch onto it.

Can't wait to see your marsupial bag!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
fire*rocket
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006 06:27:10 AM »

I used the basic Booga Bag pattern, but adjusted it to make the base larger and sewed the handles on prior to felting.  I also used a 5 stitch i-cord for the handles to make them wider.  This is my favorite felted bag so far.

I love your bag!  Smiley I also wanted to sew on the i-cord before felting so it was all "together."  And karynlibrarian that's interesting what you said about the i cord.  I had the hardest time figuring out how to do it- it is kind of a pain.  And I will never understand why it's called the idiot cord.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calysa
I heart Anegada

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006 06:46:40 AM »

Thanks for the compliments!  I, too, despise i-cord.  If you make a mistake or don't like the way a section of it looks, there's no easy way to fix it.  I can never get the stitches back on the needle the right way.  I always have to frog the entire thing and start over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2006 09:08:02 AM »

I love both the booga bag and the marsupial tote.  I am addicted to felted bags!  I'm also happy to hear that you liked the way the wool of the andes felted up.  I have some to make another booga bag and have been putting it off because I was worried!  I recently made one out of Galway which is $5.99 for 210 yds which still isn't bad and I loved the way it felted.  I'm used to using Lamb's Pride, and I think that I like this better.  The only drawback is that I can't buy it here so I have to order it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2006 09:12:29 AM »

elijor - thanks for all of the links - I will definitely have to try the mitred tote!  TessTessi - I bought a couple of Noni bag patterns too!  I got the skinny baguette and the carpet bag.  Can't wait to see your pix!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Banana Nutella Sushi
Strawberry White Chocolate Cheesecake
How to Make Shortbread With Berry and Honey Jam
Rhubarb Ice Cream Custard
Sweet and Sticky Authentic Baklava Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...