A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 308,219
Currently Running With Scissors:
285 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: purple felted bag  (Read 8183 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

karynlibrarian
I finallly have a blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006 10:11:17 AM »

TessTessi - Thanks for the link and the advice about the Pursenalities book.  I'm a librarian, but I'm SUCH a bad library user!!! I work in a high school library and tend to buy the books I want instead of borrow them.  I'll check the local library's website as soon as I'm done with this and see if they have any of the books you suggested.

fire*rocket - I'd LOVE to see a picture of your Booga bag when you're done.  I loved knitting mine, but I must say, that i-cord seemed to take forever to knit!!!!  I think I'd like to investigate leather straps for my next one. 

Which brings up another question....any idea where to buy leather straps?  I'm thinking just plain, maybe 3/4 inch leather.

I spent far too long last night reading the thread about the marsupial purse in the Stitch'n'Bitch book.  I think that might just be my next project.  I live in Ontario, and don't have the greatest selection of yarn shops available to me.  I am going to use Patons Merino for my next bag.  Does anyone have any other suggestions for good feltable yarn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006 06:59:03 AM »

Here's a purse I made using Knit Picks Wool of the Andes.  I love the way Wool of the Andes felts, with a nubby boucle texture.  It's 100% wool and very reasonably priced at $1.79/ 110 yard skein!

I used the basic Booga Bag pattern, but adjusted it to make the base larger and sewed the handles on prior to felting.  I also used a 7 stitch i-cord for the handles to make them wider.  This is my favorite felted bag so far.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006 11:33:18 AM by Calysa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
squidge
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006 07:36:41 AM »

That's a gorgeous purse!  I love the colors and how it looks felted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
80schick
Don't mess with the librarian

I love purple

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006 02:15:15 PM »

OOh OOh OOh. 3 of my favourite things: bags, purple and a librarian (like me) we were separated at birth!! I have yet to try felting, but a certain young lady who calls me mum wants a felted messenger bag from Stitch n bitch nation.

Welcome to the family karynlibrarian, you'll find this a friendly, resourceful and supportive community

Phyllis
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karynlibrarian
I finallly have a blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006 06:52:34 PM »

Calysa - I love your bag!!! I love the way you modified the pattern...may have to try that next time!
           I also love the yarn that you used, it looks like it felts great.  Unfortunately, I live in Canada and although I can have it shipped to Canada, I'm afraid once the duty is added to the price, it isn't as cost effective as it is for you. *sigh*

To my long lost sister, 80schick *he he he*.....I'm also an 80s chick! 

Update on my new felting addiction:  I'm almost 3/4 of the way through knitting the marsupial bag from SNB.  I'll post pictures when I'm done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calysa
I heart Anegada

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006 05:48:58 AM »

Hopefully you can find a yarn (locally) that will felt fabulously and not break the bank!  Keep trying new ones, and if you do test swatches, save them with the pre-felting and post-felting dimensions so you'll know what kind of results to expect.  I write the info on index cards and staple the swatch onto it.

Can't wait to see your marsupial bag!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
fire*rocket
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006 06:27:10 AM »

I used the basic Booga Bag pattern, but adjusted it to make the base larger and sewed the handles on prior to felting.  I also used a 5 stitch i-cord for the handles to make them wider.  This is my favorite felted bag so far.

I love your bag!  Smiley I also wanted to sew on the i-cord before felting so it was all "together."  And karynlibrarian that's interesting what you said about the i cord.  I had the hardest time figuring out how to do it- it is kind of a pain.  And I will never understand why it's called the idiot cord.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calysa
I heart Anegada

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006 06:46:40 AM »

Thanks for the compliments!  I, too, despise i-cord.  If you make a mistake or don't like the way a section of it looks, there's no easy way to fix it.  I can never get the stitches back on the needle the right way.  I always have to frog the entire thing and start over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2006 09:08:02 AM »

I love both the booga bag and the marsupial tote.  I am addicted to felted bags!  I'm also happy to hear that you liked the way the wool of the andes felted up.  I have some to make another booga bag and have been putting it off because I was worried!  I recently made one out of Galway which is $5.99 for 210 yds which still isn't bad and I loved the way it felted.  I'm used to using Lamb's Pride, and I think that I like this better.  The only drawback is that I can't buy it here so I have to order it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2006 09:12:29 AM »

elijor - thanks for all of the links - I will definitely have to try the mitred tote!  TessTessi - I bought a couple of Noni bag patterns too!  I got the skinny baguette and the carpet bag.  Can't wait to see your pix!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...