A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: purple felted bag  (Read 7224 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

karynlibrarian
I finallly have a blog!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2006 09:48:52 AM »

I discovered crafster a few days ago...and I'm hooked!

Here's a picture of my first felted bag.  I'm a small-project knitter (mostly socks, scarves and mittens).  I'm pretty happy with the bag but would be open to comments/suggestions.

Here's the fist picture:

and the next picture

I think I'm now addicted to felted bags....any suggestions for great patterns?  I've seen a couple of books on amazon.com, but I'm not sure that they are worth the investment.

Thanks!

Karynlibrarian
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009 10:24:37 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kristen81
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006 09:55:18 AM »

I discoverd crafster a few days ago...and I'm hooked!

Welcome to the board!  That is a LOVELY bag!  I love the colors and the tie on the side!  Did you design it yourself?  Beautiful!  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
karynlibrarian
I finallly have a blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006 09:58:17 AM »

It's the Booga Bag pattern.

Here's the link:

http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html

I used the Briggs & Little yarn because it is a FRACTION of the price of the recommended yarn, and I think it turned out just fine.  But now I need another felted bag to knit!

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006 01:54:55 PM »

Your bag is fantastic!  For another FREE felted bag pattern, try Mason-Dixon's Buttonhole Bag. It turns out nice and thick and sturdy.
http://www.masondixonknitting.com/archives/images/ButtonholeBagMasonDixon2[1].pdf 

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
kelly_bear
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006 02:10:36 PM »

Great bag! I love the colors you used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006 06:45:50 PM »

Your Booga turned out lovely. Felted bags - kinda like crack, try it once and your hooked - welcome to the group.

Here are some links to other free patterns:

Sophie - same designer as the Booga Bag. i've made it and loved it. They have a "big sister" to Sophie on their website.

Fulled Lopi Tote - I've made this also. I really liked it as did the person I gave it to.

Felted Mitred Stripes Tote - a very nice bag.

French Market Bag which I am currently working on with these revisions. There is also a petite version on someones blog but I can't find the link now.

Beverly Galeskas's Flower Purse the directions are spread out over 3 pages - scroll down to "also in this episode" for the rest of the directions.
Felted Bag with Mitered Squares
FELTED "NO RULES" BAG
Flo
Kraemer yarns has a couple.
Special Companions V2.1 from Knit Kit where you will also find some lovely patterns for purchase.
Stoke-On-Trent Knit & Felt Tote
Suzzane's Purse
Teeny-Tiny Felted Gift Bags and Teeny-Tiny Felted Totes
The Flap Dash Bag
VinoOnTheRio

That should keep you going for awhile  Wink.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
karynlibrarian
I finallly have a blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006 07:17:02 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

Calysa - That link takes me to a bag I really like but  I don't know where to get the recommended yarn.  I wonder if Lopi would work?

Elijor - Oh my goodness...thank you so much for taking the time to provide all those fantastic links!  I'm gonna have to rush through the socks I'm finishing up and I'm going to have to certainly try one of the bags that you linked to!!! Wow...thanks!

karynlibrarian
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006 08:12:01 AM »

Lopi will work nicely for the Buttonhole Bag, just be patient with the felting process.  I made a large felted tote using Reynold's Lopi and it took 65 minutes in the washer to felt completely!  The Lamb's Pride Bulky called for in the Buttonhole pattern contains 15% mohair so it's a little softer, but also single ply.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
TessTessi

Lily is my best friend

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006 09:06:07 AM »

Great purse! You did a wonderful job!

I didn't know if you wanted to pay for a pattern, but these are the bags my girlfriend and I are making.  . .http://store.nobleknits.com/nonibags.html  I am making the felted carpet bag, which is similar to the booga bag...but BIGGER!! I'lll post pictures once I finish, I am about halfway through!  My friend is doing the baguette, and she is finished. SHe made the largest one and it turned out HUGE! But super cute!

As for books, I like Pursenalities 1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1564775658/ref=cm_lm_fullview_prod_1/103-7599067-9900639?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155, but not 2.  Try to get it from the library, the patterns are cool but make sure you are going to do a couple to make it worth your money.  I liked Knit 1 Felt 2 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580174973/sr=8-1/qid=1144080161/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-7599067-9900639?%5Fencoding=UTF8), it had a cute hat pattern that I've made a couple o' times.

Sorry I don't have any free patterns to contribute. Usually I just make up my own pattern, now that you know the concept you can get crazy!  I usually use Plymoth Galway which felts very smooth in comparison to Lopi or Lamb's Pride, so it just depends on the look you are going for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holy flipping cow. I changed my profile picture after 4 years on here.

Love Alpacas?  Go visit: Alpaca Love Club
Come visit my website!  www.madebytess.com
fire*rocket
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006 09:46:25 AM »

It's the Booga Bag pattern.

I also recently did a Booga Bag with my own twist to it.  I have finished the bag and am just working on the i cords.  As soon as I finish that and felt it I'll post a picture.  Smiley Beautiful bag, by the way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Quick 5-Minute Updo
How to Create Nicole Richie’s Retro Ponytail Look
Get a Stylish Half-Up, Half-Down Hairstyle
How to Flat Iron Your Hair
How To Make A Bun With A Sock
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...