A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,184
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dyeing white T-shirts?  (Read 732 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

turtletrbl
« on: March 28, 2006 09:34:50 AM »

I have a couple of white ts that are still in good shape but definitely starting to trend to the off-white end of the spectrum.  So, I had this idea to dye them but I want them to be a vintagey color -- like washed out blues, purples, that kind of thing.

I know RIT isn't good for bright, vibrant colors, but can I use it if I want the washed out look?  Will it bleed forever onto my other clothes?  I want to use something that is relatively inexpensive, available locally and not too, TOO toxic.  That rules out Procion MX and so on.  I had the idea of buying one of those tie-dye kits and just using one color at a time, but all the ones I can find are bright 60's colors.  Is there any way to subdue them?

Thanks in advance....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tookie
It's Spleentastic!

I'm more Peter Pan than you are.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006 09:37:59 PM »

Tie-dye kits are all varieties of Procion MX, unless I'm sorely mistaken. Unless it's cost and availibility you're worrying about, the toxicity shouldn't put you off, just make sure you don't breathe in the powder and you'll be perfectly fine. It's a respiratory thing, which obviously can't affect you when it's in a liquid form.
Anyhow, RIT is cheaper, so I'd recommend that. To get more washed out colours, you do just like you do with water-colours - dilute the dye more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Non est delirus in terra mea~
http://www.victorinia.blogspot.com
turtletrbl
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006 06:29:08 AM »

Have you had good results with RIT?  I'm mostly worried about it fading onto my other clothes (I don't wash dyed clothes with whites but I do wash light colors with other light colors) when I do the laundry. 

If it's just a matter of breathing in the powder, I'll probably try the tie dyes and just experiment with diluting the colors a bit more.  Luckily, I've got a ton of boring white underwear....   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshine_fix
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006 07:53:34 AM »

I just did tie dye a few weeks ago and I used both RIT and Dylon dyes and both turned out great, with bright colors. And after a few washes they are still vibrant and the colors have stopped bleeding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006 07:56:57 AM »

I've had pretty good results with RIT.  I have used it to re-dye black clothes that I LOVE and have faded too much to wear.  It just gives them new life. It does run in the wash but I just wash my black clothes together.  I do that anyway, I wear a lot of black.

I've also used it to dye onesies and have had good results.  I rinse them MANY MANY times until the water runs clear, let it dry then do it again, before giving them as gifts. I don't do that with the black clothes because I'm trying to make the dye last for a long time and they are for me.

The onesies below were dyed using the same batch of RIT dye in rose.  The darker one just sat in the dye longer.  The tie dye one sat in the dye over night.  The dye was hot when I put it in at first but was cold by morning, I'm not sure what effect that had on it.  It was just an experiment I had leftover dye and a leftover onesie so I figured why not!?! It turned out cute!  My niece wears it to play in.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Henry Selick on Coraline Production
How Diffusion Gels Are Used in Film Making
What C47 Means on the Film Production Set
What Lighting Neutral Density Gels Are
Making a Better Batman
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...