A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty Spring 2006  (Read 9459 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

biblia
20-something peace worker and errant librarian

Batgirl was a librarian

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2006 12:35:56 PM »

Yuck.

I'm extremely underwhelmed. Knitty, what's happening to you?

Agreed.  Despite the weird manicure socks and cool scarves, it feels like a really "old lady-ish" issue to me.  I rely on knitty for hip, young patterns.  This time I don't see anything I could really honestly use in my life!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
    - The Onion, 28 May 2003
ultraviolet
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2006 12:44:14 PM »

If you mean the Pomatomus socks from the last issue, I think Hedera is designed by the same person (Cookie A.) so I like to think of it as less like copying and more like riffing on the same theme Smiley I really like the way she photographs her designs.

Oh then, all is forgiven! I think it's cool too, but I didn't recognize the designer name and didn't think it was the same person. I couldn't find the pattern from the last issue (they don't seem to be in the archives yet) so I couldn't verify. They are nice socks. I'm kind of into socks right now, but I want to make something more practical. It seems like lacy socks would be uncomfortable to wear with shoes, and I definitely want something I can wear with shoes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
MmmKnits
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2006 12:46:49 PM »

I'm disappointed. I was looking forward to this day for so long (as I do every time), and I didn't see a single thing I'd like to make for myself. The kids' knits are okay, but not amazing enough to make me wish I knew actual children for whom I could make them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmacker
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2006 12:52:23 PM »

I like convertable, but I have to agree on the whole this issue was a little disappointing, damn that law of diminishing returns
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artery

...did you ever know that you're my hero...?

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2006 12:53:26 PM »

i don't know if i'm retarded, but i'm still stuck looking at the winter knitty... no spring for me i guess. it won't come up, and i'm too non-functional to figure it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

....and we rock harder than you ever knew....
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2006 01:07:48 PM »

Try going to Knitty and then hitting refresh.  Sounds like you're looking at a cached version.

I agree with the above poster that says this issue feels older than the usual target age--particularly the sweaters.  They're nice sweaters for someone older than I am (not that being older's a bad thing) but I just don't expect to see these types of patterns in Knitty.

ETA: I will give $10 to the first person who makes the manicure socks and mails them to Kevin Federline.  They're so his everyday style.  And if he was ever photographed in them...OMG that would be the most awesomely bad thing ever.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006 01:16:06 PM by PlayItGeorge » THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpre ss.com
MmmKnits
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2006 01:33:02 PM »

PlayItGeorge, on that note, someone should really invent soleless socks for the Britster. That way the tops of her feet could be warm, but nothing would interfere between her and full gas-station-bathroom-floor contact.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mojo
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2006 01:40:01 PM »

I want to make "Convertible."  Anyone have ideas about what might be a good substitue for the Blue Moon Fiber Arts Bambu [100 % bamboo; 400 yds/370 m per 85g skein] called for in the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xamonster

"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2006 02:04:50 PM »

I want to make "Convertible."  Anyone have ideas about what might be a good substitue for the Blue Moon Fiber Arts Bambu [100 % bamboo; 400 yds/370 m per 85g skein] called for in the pattern?

Maybe a few of skeins (four, probably) of South West Trading Company Bamboo [100% bamboo; 250 yds per 100g skein]. It's $13.35 per skein over at yarnmarket. It doesn't look a whole lot cheaper, though, unless you could just get away with three skeins (750 yds to the pattern's 800) instead of four (1000 yds).

It was a little irritating and splitty, though, when I tried to knit with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I brought you flours."

Check out my blog and my wist!
Rumpazel
Craft Addict

Illuuuuuuuusion

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2006 02:09:33 PM »

I have been waiting anything but patiently for the new Knitty - much like everyone else - and I too am underwelmed (if that is even a real word - I make words up all the time).  The pedicure socks - cute, but I already had a pattern for them that also included geisha socks for use with flipflops.  Nothing new there.  I don't have kids so that didn't appeal.  I did like the hedera socks, the tendrils shawl thing, and the nagano sakura mini scarf accent thing.  The rest did, as someone else so succinctly said, look like stuff my grnadmother would wear if she was trying to look trendy.  I guess that anticipation was better than the getting.  <sigh>  I guess there's always summer...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps...and kittens...and rocks.  Weird huh?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bloomberg Hits Back At NYT Claims Of Censoring Stories For Chinese Leaders
Badluck Way, the Story of a Man, a Wolf, and Their Ultimate Collision
Susan Rebecca White: What Are You Reading?
Authors Celebrate Local Independent Bookstores
History in Five: Tom Clavin and Bob Drury on Red Cloud
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...