A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,509
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheted grocery bag shoes! (Now with an attempt at a tute!)  (Read 161884 times)
Tags for this thread: slippers , recycle , tutorial , plastic_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jchinique
Yes, I am.

I did that.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006 08:09:41 AM »

These are so creative and current! I suppose you can toss them in the wash as well. Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinkitty

out of the box

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006 12:02:41 PM »

those shoes are too cool! I have crocheted baskets out of grocery bags but would never have thought of this. Amazing! I agree, this totally rawks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Knowing that I don't have control over things is not always exciting for me. But it's been reassuring to know that I don't need to have control. God has control." (Clay Aiken)
mleak
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006 04:07:26 PM »

All right!  Finally had a nice day out, so I wore my bag-shoes to class.  I wore them all day, from about 8:15 to 6:15, and I did quite a bit of walking during the day.

The contact points on my shoes are showing a small bit of wear, but pretty minimal.  These shoes definitely won't last forever, but it looks like they'll have a decent life.  They got more comfortable as I wore them, too--softened up a bit.

They're a little slippery on marble and on some other smooth floors, but not too bad, and they're fine on pavement, dirt, carpet, etc.  It feels great to walk on grass with them.  I walked over gravel and rocky areas too, which wasn't too bad.  I have pretty pathetic feet--I can't walk on gravel barefoot, but it was okay in the shoes.  I also walked in wet places and in puddles, but the shoes dried out just fine.  I had no problems with them melting on hot pavement, though the temperature only went up to mid-high seventies, so that could still be an issue.

My feet did get VERY dirty by the end of the day, but they didn't get sweaty or sticky at all.

On the whole, I'm pretty satisfied with the shoes.  It's sort of like wearing thick socks, which is nice--you get a really good sense of the terrain underneath your feet, but the shoe gives enough protection to keep all surfaces comfortable.

I'm thinking, though, maybe I can come up with some sort of sole to sew on.  I could probably crochet the shoe double-thickness, and that would extend the life a fair bit, but there ought to be a better solution.  I think whatever I add really ought to be recycled, too, to keep with the spirit of the shoes.  Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marimbachick
High Priestess of the Temple of Sexiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006 06:33:02 PM »

Perhaps the soles from a pair of worn out/thrift store shoes?  Particularly look for moccasins or slippers with a leather sole.  Seems to me that'd be recycling AND keep the bottoms of the shoes from getting too stiff or thick.

You've inspired me to try something similar with some heavy cotton I bought on clearance that hurts my hands to knit.  Perhaps with crochet I'll have more luck...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We need the Falkland Islands...for strategic sheep purposes."
gearhead_70
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2006 07:16:06 AM »

I haven't been able to stop by here for awhile, but man am I glad I got to see those sandals!!!!  I love them!  I wear flip flops all the time so now I will have to start cutting bags and start experimenting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigergirl
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2006 05:28:24 PM »

I am constantly amazed by the talented, creative people on craftster! These are so awesome! You've got a 'this rocks' from me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amy_UK
Got any sci-fi?

I don't like cricket. Oh, no. I love it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2006 09:20:21 AM »

I came here from the whipup site and your sandals are amazing!  I'm about to start learning to crochet (when my book arrives) and I'll definatly be trying these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My new blog: http://dyedinthewool.wordpress.com/
Do you craft?  Are you called Amy, or Amie or Ami?  Join us at http://knittingamys.blogspot.com
Mimi055
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006 12:53:00 PM »

Totally amazing and definitely something I am going to try!!!!!!! Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mAsQuErAdInG aS A nOrMaL pErSoN eVeRyDaY iS eXhAuStInG!!!
yarn freak

More Yarn Please

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2006 06:21:06 PM »

What if you spread some Shoe Goo on  the bottoms to help protect the soles from wear? Shoe Goo if you haven't heard of it is a rubbery glue used to repair tennis shoes.

Also, you can ask a local shoe repair shop for a sheet of rubber crepe. I read that in the Urban Knitter book by Lily Chin. The pattern there said it runs about $24/sheet but you can do several pairs of shoes with it.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
useratl
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006 04:14:27 AM »

I'm floored . . .  I'm always thinking I want to keep some rainproof shoes in my vehicle in case I get caught with the wrong shoes, and those would be perfect.  Nice to see a completely new idea with the used plastic bags!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Whatever You Want Without Risking a Slip!
How to Get Cleavage Without the Padded Bra
Have You Ever Seen Nicole Richie Look This Cool?
Fashion Friendly Winter Coats Review
Topshop 2014 Winter Lookbook
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...