A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making an attempt at a lush, evil-queen esque bedroom  (Read 1071 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 27, 2006 11:23:02 AM »

So I'm changing apartments, and I'd like to continue with my red/black room decor extremely.

My ideas: -I want to make a "headboard" ( piece of plywood painted black with green vines and red fake roses, Sleeping Beauty style, securely placed at the head of the bed)
- I have a huge amount of posters and black and white photos. I want to incorporate these somehow.
- I would do the tulle (or tulle-ish fabric) around the bed, but I watch movies on my computer, so I don't know if that would be feasible: would it be strange/expensive to put (red or black) tulle on the walls? Another idea is to make a sort of "window" around my next point:
- I'm going to make a rasterbated black and white photo, either something from a film noir (guns and shadows!), a pretty old-time actress, or a famous kiss photo.
- I have a big, filigreed Victorian-looking mirror (black frame)
- I would love a put together vanity, with a little chair (with a furry seat?)... table, and mirrors.

So. Any suggestions to make this more put together, or suggestions otherwise? Keep in mind though that I rent, so I can't do any painting or carpet changing...

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jshires

Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006 12:10:41 PM »

Okay this sounds like an awesome room! Hers my 2 cents...

For your posters and pics, I would definatly frame them. They'll look more elegant that way. Try thrift stores or garage sales. sometimes you can find empty frames or even framed artwork for pretty cheap and then re-use the frames.

As for the tulle...instead of putting it around your bed or on the walls (can be kind of pricey...that would take many yards...) maybe put it around the bottom of your bed, like a bedskirt. It would be like a tutu for your bed!

I know you can't change the carpet, but a throw rug is a great way to tie things together. A cheaper way to get one would be to go to a carpet store and buy remnants (the stuff left over after big jobs...) A lot of places will even finish off the edges for you. You can try to find some lush red carpeting...that would look gorgeous!

And lastly...An old desk (again a thrift store or garage sale find) painted black along with your victorian mirror would make a stunning vanity area!

Thats all I got. Hope it helps and good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessi~La

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anyone." ~Audrey Hepburn
My Wists
My Blog
msbrownpants
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006 12:07:22 PM »

that sounds like a great idea, i would find  some fake flowers (thrift store or bargain shop) and fasten those to the head board you could probably even paint them a nice bloody red with fabric paint, and place them on top of your   painted vines to add some dimension good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006 02:49:05 PM »

Framing and throw rug! Very nice idea... I could really use a nice red carpet.. or even black (my comforter and bed sheets are all red).

And I know I'll at least have one desk in my room, so hopefully there'll be space for a mini one as a vanity too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mary contrary
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006 12:35:52 AM »

for a vanity, you could anchor a shelf to the wall (like one of those mimicking old architectural details--i think home depot even sells some with a 'hidden' drawer), and even make a 'skirt' for it (to hide extra shelves or storage). hang a pretty mirror above, and you'd have a vanity that would fit in any space...would look great with some black metal candleholders on each side of the wall beside the mirror...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rowlly
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006 03:20:01 AM »

PLEASE....Post pics when you've finished your room!
 It sounds so great I would love a look-see. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psyche

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006 09:36:39 AM »

Ooh. That's a nice idea! Perhaps a little less space-taking too... and I do have some tall black taper candles right now... they're in short silver holders... I could do that and one fat black candle.. hm...

(And I will post pics as soon as anything gets done, but it probably won't be until August or September!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Beauty Products for Summer Chosen by Essence
High School-Appropriate Makeup Tutorial
The Look: A Fresh Faced Modern Bride
How a Foam Roller Can Give You a Facelift in 50 Seconds
Get Taylor Swift’s Bold Red Lip From Her 2012 Glamour Cover
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...