A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,080
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: any tips on how to make a dress bigger across the chest? help me please! w/pics!  (Read 1199 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lalalibertine

philly craft stylez

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2006 04:14:43 PM »

today at the salvation army i found a fabulous never-been-worn nicole miller dress for $8, and it fit perfectly, except for around the arm holes, sort of.  it's sleeveless by the way. it's a little tight across the chest, and i guess in the arm holes. it's only one size smaller than i normally wear, but it fit so perfectly in the hips. does anyone have any advice on making it bigger in just those areas? i was thinking about adding a wedge of fabric under the arms. i'm just a little afraid of cutting the dress up because it's so lovely and was such a good deal. any help would be greatly, enormously appreciated!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006 04:11:54 PM by lalalibertine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006 04:49:23 PM »

don't  cut  use  your  seam  ripper  that  would  be the  only  way I could  think of to do it....  good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
stacysews
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006 06:46:19 PM »

I agree, use a seam ripper and take apart the seams and use a smaller seam allowance in the bust area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006 06:56:20 AM »

from your description i suspect there is more to this than just not being big enough around.

is the armscye deep enough?  is it too wide in the front?  too narrow in the back?

is the cup size big enough?  is the cup fullness located directly over the fullest part of your bust?

any of these things being the wrong size will make the bodice tight in the chest, even if it is big enough around.

try it on again, post some pictures and please describe the inside of the dress so i can give you better suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
lalalibertine

philly craft stylez

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006 04:10:56 PM »

hahahaha i seriously wasn't going to cut it. i have a seam ripper and know how to use it. but thanks!

rostitchery- thanks for offering some help! the dress sort of flattens out my boobs. like it fits pretty well when i don't wear a bra, but my boobs look smushed down. the arms don't cut me really high. pretty normal, but a little tight. it just sort of feels like the arms come in too much in the front or something. i know it's sort of difficult to understand. when i wear it, it feels like if i just made it a little bit bigger under the arm pit area on the sides it would fit better. but i also have very little experience in tailoring this type of thing. here are some pics to help you out.

this is to show that it's a bit tight across the chest. it doesn't look too bad, but my chest is like a 36 C (def. not a size 4!) so maybe this will help to show how much they're being squished. you can also see how it sort of gets tight around my arm pits.

this is the inside seam. i just highlighted where the seam is so you can see better.

and here is the dress just to give an idea of the over-all shape.

Seriously, thank you so much for your help!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006 06:17:48 PM »

well, it looks to me like  there is not enough cup depth (the dart is bulging at the point),  and there is not enough circumference (crosswise wrinkles around the midriff).

if there is enough seam allowance at the sides, you can let it out to give more circumference.  however, getting bust cup depth is not as simpler, because cup depth goes from side to side AND up and down.  which means you need more length in the front if the waist and hem are to remain level.

making a deeper dart will make the cup deeper from side seam to apex but it won't give you extra length.  it might not matter to you, so baste it and see how you feel about it.

the triangle of fabric you mentioned is called a gusset and in this case it is a last choice because it won't provide the cup solution you need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lalalibertine

philly craft stylez

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006 10:46:29 AM »

thanks so much for the tips! i will give the alterations a go and see what happens. hopefully i won't ruin this dress because i love it. do you think it would be feasable to add any fabric to the sides to give more circumference? in person the dress doesn't look overly tight, except for in the chest. the dress was a bit wrinkled when i took the pics, but i do agree that i could probably add some width to make it fit more comfortably. if i ever fix this i'll post pics. again, thanks so much for your help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006 04:06:35 PM »

try it, but i wouldn't expect good results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sabrina Jeffries Talks About A Hellion in Her Bed
Neil Cross Talks About Natural History and Burial
Lucy Hawking Reveals Where She Would Like to Be
Terry Mort Talks About The Hemingway Patrols
Meet Author Carolyn Castleberry
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...