A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
480 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fashion Designers...  (Read 1084 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cats_pajamas
Certified Weirdo

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2006 01:00:58 PM »

Im 15, and in Minneapolis. I cant wait  to take some serious classes in collage, But wnat to take some now. I'm @ that level where I don't even use patterns anymore.
I think an internship would be nice, but where? I don't know of any designers that are actually working and living in Minneapolis. Do you? Just wondering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carriem23
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006 07:44:44 AM »

You might try contacting the U of M.  I think they have a fashion design program and that the students put on a show every year.  Also check out craigslist.org in Minneapolis there seemed to be a few people looking for people to help with fashion shows. I noticed some fashion design related ads today.  I usually look under gigs-creative or skilled trade/craft but I can't remember exactly where I saw them.
Good Luck

THIS ROCKS   Logged
carriem23
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006 07:57:20 AM »

Also there is a fashion design class at powderhorn park.  It starts tomorrow- wed april 5 and goes through may.  If you read this post in time you may want to check it out.  Just check out Minneapolis parks and powderhorn park and it will be under classes for community.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010 06:37:20 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Valoir

I knew I could make it myself!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006 09:19:19 AM »

Joy Teiken is a local fashion designer who seems to be having some success in New York and with the fashion magazines.  Her label is Joynoelle.  Her studio and showroom are at 2115 Como Ave. SE in Minneapolis and she is open from 10 to 3 on Saturdays, website www.joynoelle.com

I have no affiliation, but read an article about her in Women's Press last summer and was very impressed that she made it, leaving her day job and doing her design work full time.  Someday, maybe that will be me!
Valerie/Valoir

THIS ROCKS   Logged

it's all jewelry all the time!
http://www.valoirdesigns.com
BambiKhantastic
Craftster's Resident Tattoo Artist

Taloola Rocks my World!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006 01:35:09 PM »

At fifteen, it might be a little difficult to get an internship.(I don't want to burst any bubbles: and more power to ya for trying!)

My suggestion to you is to get involved with community theatre. That's where most of my sewing knowledge came from, and they can always use a hand. Plus, you get to work on everything from Edwardian farthingales to zoot suits. Community theatre folks tend to be a great bunch, a little more appreciative of their volunteers, as opposed to the "go get my coffee internship."

It might not be Parisian fashion design, but it will give you great exposure to designs and fabrics you've never encountered.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitpickles
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006 06:15:47 AM »

Hey! I second the Joynoelle! Her stuff is neat- and her studio is fantastic. I got to work with her once in a fashion show......I was going to suggest hunting down Lyle Jackson- he does all sorts of costuming/fashion design stuff. He used to be costumer for Ballet of the Dolls, and he has also done Children's Theatre productions, Dayton's Xmas show windows......etc. A very inspiring person. He started a company called Tulle and Dye, but I don't know it's whereabouts these days. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
one_daddio

Breakin' the law every chance I get

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006 08:59:10 AM »

cats..

The U of M has a design camp each summer that's just for teens. It takes place in July but registration is open now. Check it out and make sure you let us know if you sign up. 

http://design.umn.edu/go/projectGroup/DC06
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 1/15
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 3/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 5/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 2/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 1/10
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...