A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,938
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kyoto crafts & photographs  (Read 1462 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lady dee
« on: March 30, 2006 08:41:49 AM »

Hi.  I'm going to Kyoto in July for my friend's wedding and while I was there I was hoping to check out some craft stores.  Anyone have any suggestions. 

I also really like photography so I'm looking into find some nice places to photograph.  Any suggestions with this as well would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dee of AnnDeeScraps (two best friends making fun stuff together)

Pics of stuff i've created: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladydee/sets/731194/
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006 11:00:31 AM »

I don't know about craft stores, but there's no better place in Japan than Kyoto if you want beautiful things to take pictures of. Kiyomizudera, Sanjusangendo, Gion (the geisha district, basically), hundreds of other beautiful temples and shrines, a castle, and lots of other cool scenery. Fushimi Inari is one of the best places for photography (in the WORLD, imho), but it's not technically in Kyoto. Less than an hour by train, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
kwoozy
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006 06:36:48 AM »

Hey lady_dee,

I was in Japan recently in April. So maybe I can help with the crafts stuff.... I happen to chance on it while
wondering around the JR Kyoto Station...

In the Kyoto Tower Building - I think it is Level B2 ( one of the basement levels anyway if not B2) - there is a craft shop! Beautiful fabric! I suspect that is it probably slightly more expensive than other craft shops because it is right in the city and such a touristy area too - but anyway it is still worth it. Better than buying online or wherever you are from. I bought some fabric there... if only i had more moolah..   There are lots of other cool stuff there.

Also, 100 yen shops is always a good bet for some of the more basic crafty stuff.

Will you only be in Kyoto?

If you plan to go to Tokyo, then these are my suggestions:

1. Walk around Asakusa area - there's a touristy strip right near Kamarimon (thunder  gate) but go behind  -     there are lots of kimono fabric selling shop (expensive). Some of them sell old kimonos (cheap for some) 
   which you can just buy and reuse the fabric. Didn't buy any though..

2. Tokyu Hands - this is like a super DIY store. There's one in Shinjuku in the Takashimaya Building.

--------------
And of course do get some japanese craft books and pay 1/3 of the price (that's my second big purchase) - any (non manga) bookshop will have some.

Lookout for BookOff - it's a 2nd hand book shop chain - they sometimes have old crafts books - I got 2 for about 300 Yen each. The very recent ones were usually 70% of the retail price although these are rare.

Hope that helps,

kwoozy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlogFlickr  |  Swap info

Join the  Handmade Felt Food  Flickr group.
lady dee
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006 12:56:29 PM »

wow.  thanks kwoozy!  all those places sound great.  i can't wait to go now. only a month & a half away!  i'll definitely check out the ones in kyoto & hopefully tokyo too.  I believe we'll make a trip there as well.  I just found out we'll be spending a week in Wakayama too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dee of AnnDeeScraps (two best friends making fun stuff together)

Pics of stuff i've created: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladydee/sets/731194/
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006 01:05:29 PM »

This might seem obvious, but keep everything!  When I was there,I picked up free flyers, newspapers, magazines (usually left by others!), store promos, store wrapping paper and bags! etc. I kept ticket stubs, business cards, and basically "junk"!  I am glad I did because a lot of this stuff can be used in collages, notecards, etc.  Have fun--and once people find out you craft, they will most likely give you stuff!! Plus, take plenty of small notebooks to jot down ideas!

Small things to pickup that can be used for crafts, relative inexpensive: cool chopstick holders, charms, papers, chopsticks--I went in 2002 and STILL have tons of stuff to use that I did not pay a lot for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Katherine Zemla: Manicure Addict
The Look of Christian Dior Fall 2013
The Look of Lanvin Fall 2013
Why You Should Create Your Own Makeup Rules
Tamira Laboy: The Revlon Makeover Challenge
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...