A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,098
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *TUTORIAL!* Pegged-skinny-legged-trousers from bellbottoms/slacks/bootcuts/etc  (Read 24044 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annamal
« on: March 29, 2006 02:20:56 PM »

Here is a tutorial that you guys requested!  If you have any further questions let me know and I can go into more detail!

Step 1.  Find yourself a pair of trousies that fit at the waist... heres a pair of sparkly work slacks I found at the thrift store for $2.  They are really soft, stretchy as hell, and have nice perm pleats going down the front/back.  Heres a before shot!

2.  I used my favorite pair of jeans as a guideline.. just placed them on top of the slacks to figure out how much to take in.  If you don't have a pair laying around.. measure your knee, calf at its largest, and ankle.  Using these measurements you can figure out how to shape the leg area.  Always make it a little bit bigger at first until you get the hang of it, because if you make them too small you're kinda screwed!

3.  Next just pin pin pin away.  Try to take about the same out on the inside as the outside.  My pants have the pleat going down the front and back, so I want to make sure that it stays centered.

4.  Pinning is one of the most important part.. make sure you smooth the seams out and that everything is straight and there are no weird bubbles.  Notice how there is more fabric on the back than the front.. you want it like this!  There has to be more fabric so that it can conform around your sexy, curvaceous calves, thighs, and bum! 

5.  Once everything is pinned how you like it, you can try them on.. but it's pretty hard to do this without stabbing the hell out of yourself so at this point I just stitch them.  I generally use a stitch length of 3 or so. 

6.  Heres how the pants look after stitching (stitch lines are shown with red lines!)

7.  Nows a good time to try on the trousies and see how they fit.  I'm pretty happy with mine, but because the material stretches sooo much I want to bring them in tighter (or else they will stretch out and sag towards the end of the day).  Just go back on your sewing machine and make adjustments.  If they are too tight, take out the stitching and make them bigger. 

8.  This part is optional, depending on wether or not you have a serger.  At this point, I go back with my serger and serge off the excess fabric, right next to the stitch line so it's reinforced.  If you don't have a serger, I'd reccomend adding another line of stitching, straight or zig-zag.  Because the pants are so tight, you want to have strong seams so that they don't rip.  Most common place for rippage is booty and inner thighs!! 

(holy crap thats a lot of fabric!)

9.  Heres the final product, inside-out.  Awww

Compared to your original jeans

10.  Now put them on, make sure they fit okay, then dance around your apartment like a wild rocker... be sure to disturb your sleeping dog in the process!!

I've been tapering my own pants for awhile now, and I finally think I've got the art of it down to a T!  Heres a pair I made out of a pair of ugly old navy BAGGY work slacks (sorry forgot to take a before picture!):

I made these out of a pair of baggy work slacks as well.  They had really ugly buttons on the belt loops, so I changed them out with heart buttons!

I did these out of some really nasty ugly super flared bad bad club pants

These I made out of a pair of really big cropped-pants

these are one of my favorites!  Made out of tacky bellbottomed club pants

Lastly the blue leopard ones.. made out of bootcut pants

phew!
I'd love to hear some feedback!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006 04:07:40 PM by annamal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006 02:37:09 PM »

those are pretty crazy awesome! i love them!! i really need to buy skinny legged jeans
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
mllejessy
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006 03:13:20 PM »

These are awesome!  I so love skinny pants--bootcuts 'n' flares make me look like an 8yrold wearing her mom's pajamas.
So, howdja do it?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goodgirlthreads
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006 05:20:31 PM »

SKINNY PANTS ROCK!  do you take them in from both sides vs. inner leg/ outer leg?  share the 411 woman.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missy_potaimia
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006 06:36:00 PM »

hmmm.... why buy skinny legged pants when you can just make some out of some old flares? GOOD IDEA GRRL.

*adds project on the list of things i must do*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ViolentViolet
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006 07:34:19 PM »

damn!thoses flatter you so well!i love them also.skinny jeans hare horridly costly and usally a shittly made now days.but yours looks so nince.could you post some tips ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I just love her man,Hey what are you doing with that brick?"

http://www.wists.com/EvaBlack
annamal
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006 10:55:02 PM »

Next time I make a pair I'll post a tutorial. but for now.. letsee if this makes sense..
it really helps to already have a pair of jeans/pants that fit you the way you like.. so you can use them as a guideline. 
I make my cuffs about 10" around.. so I take in on either side the same amount up to the knee.. then usually for the thigh area I take in more on the outside than the inside.  I've only done this with pants that fit well in the waist/hips.  I usually sew them, try them on, adjust the fit, then serge the seams as well.  It can also help to pin them and try them on.  Oh!  Also... the back of the pants is always bigger than the front.. so really make sure you take out equal parts from both front and back.  If you take out more fabric from the back than the front, it will twist funny, fit weird, etc, because you need more material in the back to form around your booty/calves/etc.  I hope this makes sense! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

welshdragon

Love Music : Hate Racism - www.lovemusichateracism

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006 02:36:53 AM »

wow those are totally hot!!!!! i love them and your creepers
skinny jeans are sooo expensive too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Music : Hate Racism - www.lovemusichateracism.com
dreadful penny
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006 07:37:47 AM »

Ooooh!
This is very cool - and they look great on you!!!
I've about 4 pairs of pants in the bottom of the closet that need this treatment...
Add me to the list of folks that would love to see more in a tute, but I'm gonna try it anyway 'cause your desciption helps alot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BambiKhantastic
Craftster's Resident Tattoo Artist

Taloola Rocks my World!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006 08:28:30 AM »

Wish I could pull off skinny pants...but yours look great! LOve the Zipperbacks, Love the tattoos, super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Cool Banners in Gimp
How to Create A Map in Photoshop
How to Make a Twitter Logo in Photoshop
How to Use GIMP Freeware Image Editor
How to Convert Images Into Icons in Gimp
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...