A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,049
Currently Running With Scissors:
879 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Retro monster framed mirror  (Read 21861 times)
Tags for this thread: monster  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

susank
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2003 09:52:09 PM »

Agreed about librarians.  I know a few library scientists.

What I envisioned with the paint wash:  glue all the b/w pics down.  water down some paint.  paint in broad even strokes over the whole thing.  wait for it to dry, then seal/mod podge it.

Think of the wash like a glaze for a cake (vs thicker, stiffer icing).

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susank
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2003 08:51:47 AM »

found some titles!

Here's the one I think katiesays17 must have used:
Who Goes There?
http://www.budplant.com/prod.itml?icObjectId=6450

And here's a page with more great ideas:
http://www.budplant.com/level.itml/icOid/9621

I'm talkin' 'bout a Batman Masterpieces frame!

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thewalrusisme
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2003 10:20:38 AM »

I even think it would be cool to copy images there in b/w (cheaper, too, and your $$ goes to the library) and use those.  Over xeroxed stuff has a certain charm, as does b/w.  

You could also them paint a wash over the whole thing, so you'd have a mirror border in blue & black, or red & black, or whatever... that would make it blend in a little and be a bit less wild.

Get me to the library!
--susan.

Yay for giving money to the library instead of to corporate america!!! also, would it be possible to put the paint into the actual sealant stuff?  im thinking that watered down paint might make the paper warp?  I have no idea....but just seems like excess water would do that

either way, im excited to try this after my christmas present making rush  Tongue

oh and ya, I'm a librarian of sorts, we rock!  Kiss  altho i still havent mastered that sexy tight bun thing  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
katiesays17
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2003 09:19:30 PM »

i think my next attempt might be with a bruce springsteen theme for my dad or just a wacky weirdo bizarro for whoever. thanks for explaining the wash susank
i have that righteous babe sticker in my car. cheerio!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2003 09:35:52 PM »

I love the mirror, and just had to add to the librarian discussion.  On International Talk Like a Pirate Day, the librarians at my university actually dressed like pirates!

And yes, I've been watching for months and registered just so I could say that... however, I will have a post of my own tomorrow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog, fingers and toes
susank
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2003 02:13:37 PM »

Aw yeah-- when I got home from work last night there was an AOL CD tin waiting on the floor... so I put all the good ideas from here to use.

See http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=42;action=display;threadid=970

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starstruq

Life is not black and white...it's GOLDEN!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2003 12:25:41 PM »

I love the mirror!  You know the idea about the color wash got me thinking...it got me thinking about the fliers we used to make for my band.  We would go through the "Weekly World News" (don't pretend like you've never bought one Wink )  They have some of the funniest pictures in there.  We used to cut them out and replace all of the text with the whatever info we wanted to get out and then we'd copy it onto colored paper.  We had one of Janet Reno in lingerie...a cat being swung around by his tail my a tiny mouse...and of course bat boy.  

I think that the idea could work really well for a project like this.  Clip a few pictures and headlines of the worlds fattest cat, bat boy's marriage to the dog faced girl, and a shot of a potato-chip that looks like jesus and you're set.  Since these don't come on the highest quality paper be careful not to rip 'em.  And they would probably look best with a wash of color as suggested earlier by susank.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you dim your light to let someone else shine...the whole world gets a little bit darker.
Goddess
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2003 01:32:25 AM »

that mirror is great, one done in pin up girls would rock as well
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiesays17
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2003 10:40:22 AM »

I will totally admit that I buy the weekly world news on occasion. splendid idea. and being super nonbutterfingers with that flimsy newspaper too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2003 01:08:23 PM »

Ooooh! J'adore those Ikea mirrors, in fact, j'adore Ikea! Next christmas, my friends are getting MIRRORS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Andrew Clements Talks About Writing The Report Card
Meet Author Robert Crais
Suzanne Guillette Reveals Who She Admires Most
Meet Author Phyllis Montana-Leblanc
Pathfinder Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...