A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,136
Currently Running With Scissors:
400 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help with single crochet  (Read 474 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

everything_is_free
« on: March 28, 2006 06:41:43 PM »

i read the FAQ's and I've looked at photos, drawings, and videos and single crochet still seems wonky to me. I got the chain, I know that much.

So, from there, I turn it around, skip the first stitch, and single crochet the next one. got it. then i continue. got it. then when i get to the end, do i do this to the last stitch?

when i turn the piece around to do another row, so i bring the yarn *under* ( to the right side of the piece if I'm right handed), or *over* the piece, but under the actual hook so that the yarn to be used is on the correct side?

and lastly, what about the fact that all the damn photos i've seen on single crochet show just from the chain stitch and not from a piece that has been single crocheted already a few rows? my problem is that i want to make sure i am going through the correct loop. i see the "v" shapes on the other side of the piece, but the videos and pictures always show it on the side i don't see it on.

does any of this make sense and can anyone help? if not, i'm sorry and i'll delete the post.

can't wait till i master this thing and then i can crochetalong with all of you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now, my story begins in nineteen-dickety-two. We had to say "dickety" 'cause the Kaiser had stolen our word "twenty". I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles
slowfade
love and sparkles.

There's too much sky and not enough blue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006 06:59:13 PM »

1. make sure you do a single chain stitch when you get to the end of each row, otherwise you'll be decreasing with each row.

2. turn your work counterclockwise, and bring the yarn over your work but under the hook (your second description)

3. if you're seeing the v that's good.  you want to place your hook under the two stitches that make up this v.
(if you can look in The Happy Hooker, they've got a really good diagram.  that's what helped me a lot)

hopefully you can understand it all, and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We're so trendy we can't stand ourselves.

you + are = you're ...not your!!!
slowfade
love and sparkles.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006 07:01:06 PM »

also yes, you single crochet in the last stitch of each row (but still remember to do a chain stitch at the end!!  i didn't really know you had to until i found my practice swatch mysteriously shrinking!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everything_is_free
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006 07:03:47 PM »

you are awesome...i have done some rows and i think i am doing everything right but the chain stitch at the end. i'm not sure i understand what you mean by that, so i'll do another row to try it out (hard to envision without doing it, like most things!)...

yeah, i am totally going to by Happy Hooker. I knit and have the other SnB books, which I learned from. I'm guessing if they helped me learn to knit, HH could do great at crochet. but it'd also be nice to just dive into some of the awesome projects when i do get the book!

thanks again slowfade...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now, my story begins in nineteen-dickety-two. We had to say "dickety" 'cause the Kaiser had stolen our word "twenty". I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles
everything_is_free
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006 07:08:54 PM »

oh man, i now understand the chain at the end and it is going to solve the problem of the wonky shape i'm getting.

i am officially a crocheter! huzzah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slowfade
love and sparkles.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006 08:00:06 PM »

i just started crocheting like 2 weeks ago myself and i asked for help with stuff here on craftster, so i'm glad that i could help someone else out!! 

it's hard to teach yourself something like crochet without a person showing you, ya know?
hooray for crochet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...