A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,777
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brain Twisting Stamens - No peeking, nabi! SOLVED - with great collaboration!  (Read 2020 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: March 28, 2006 05:45:57 PM »

I don't know what topic to put this in because I don't know how I'm going to make it...

I've been twisting my brain trying to come up with ideas for teeny tiny stamens for the fabric flowers I'm making for a swap. My partner likes asian things, wanted a tote bag, and seems to like flowers (from the fabrics she showed me) so I'm embroidering a cherry blossom applique branch onto the tote. The embroidery is done and all the petals are made for the flowers but I can't seem to find anything that will work for the stamens (the little stalks in the middle of a flower with the pollen on the tips).

The flowers are made out of a polyester "satin" type fabric and are about 2-3 cm wide (an inch to an inch and a half). Nothing I have thought of will fit in this scale. The only idea I have that might work is somehow knotting or braiding strands of thread with a seed bead on the end. Cherry blossoms have a lot of stamens so I'd hate for them to get twisted together during use.

Does anyone have any better ideas? Or suggestions on how to try the thread idea?

Here it is with one of the stamenless flowers (I'm still adding the flowers, hence some unfinished looking embroidery edges that will be covered, plus this is my first attempt at this)

The color is very washed out but you get the idea. The stamens are going to be a raspberry color, hopefully.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on this. I've been brainstorming this for a few weeks and am now going in circles. I've got craftsters block.

Also, I'm still working on perfecting my flower buds so any ideas there would be appreciated as well. the ones I have are ok, but I'd love to try a new idea.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006 06:49:48 PM by licalee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006 06:31:10 PM »

Oh! Oh! Eureka! How about that clear plastic monofiliment stuff? With a bead on the end. It's kind of stiff so it won't droop or get twisted up, as long as your bead isn't too heavy.

<3 Jessi~La

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anyone." ~Audrey Hepburn
My Wists
My Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006 07:11:51 PM »

Oh! That would be great- perfect! Thanks jshires, I have some clear stuff but would like it to be some shade of pink/raspberry, has anyone seen colored stuff?

Ooh - just thought of this - In lieu of that I can dye it since it is nylon! if only I knew where it was after the move...

Thank you - Thank you! This is the perfect thickness and stiffness.

I can't believe i didn't think of this before

I'm still open to other ideas, so bring them on - but this is great!

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006 05:53:55 PM »

Thanks again - I dyed some as soon as I got home from work tonight and it turned out great!

Hooray for late night brainstorming.

Here are the results -

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006 06:00:38 PM »

I just love the usual problems and clever solutions one finds on craftster. Your combined solution is brilliant.  Cheesy Can we see the finished product?

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006 06:18:23 PM »

I just love the usual problems and clever solutions one finds on craftster. Your combined solution is brilliant.  Cheesy Can we see the finished product?

Sure, I'll post it here after I finish. Do you want me to PM you minouette?

And totally agreed - awesome brainstorming. I love craftster, and this is a great example of collective brainpower, something I'm a huge fan of. It's a tribute to you that you also see the beauty in this, and wanted to comment. So, thanks.

This is what I love about craftster - and I'm going to become a "friend" very, very soon (payday is Friday.) I believe in supporting public TV and radio, and craftster is just as worthy. 

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006 06:38:35 PM »

oh, and I found out you could dye nylon in the yarn dyeing thread here - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=4268.30 it's post #30 on page 4.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2006 07:35:12 AM by licalee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006 01:14:31 PM »

Oh, that was supposed to read "unusual problems" above. It's not everyday that someone asks how to make coloured stamens! I'd like to see the nylon as a stamen- the finished blossom. Posting here is fine (or a link to the swap gallery)... I'll see it. Thanks Smiley

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006 08:06:03 PM »

OK - here are the results -

The color is a little off but you can see the stamens

And the bag looks like this:
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006 08:36:09 PM »

Those look so good!  I am so jealous!

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind the Scenes With Indique Hair Boutique
The Top Hair Trends From NYFW Fall 2013: Braids and Ponytails
How to Do a Charlize Theron Rolled Updo Hairstyle
How to Get Red Carpet Waves Like Naomi Watts
How To: Create Classic Waves With Pin Curls
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...