A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
406 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My photography! Portraits, weird, conceptual..Image heavy!  (Read 2654 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bestsundaydress

colour me black and white

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2006 04:32:13 PM »

Fellow photographer here- went to college for it & have been doing it for about 15 years now. Specializing in Creative Portraiture.
First two images are outstanding. The first one being my favorite. Id suggest you submit it to a magazine for publication. :-)
The tonality in the majority of the images are right on. The blacks are black and the white are white & there is detail in the shadow & in the highlights- and a great range of greys. They really "pop" The first image- the eyes pull you right in. Beautiful.
How does the teacher grade your prints?
When I was in college we had a critique for each project where we had to stand in front of the class and explain our piece- then the class had a chance for input and they critiqued our work-(good and bad aspects) along with the instructor.Our grade was based not only on the teachers opinions but the opinions of our peers on our work. This was a great chance for growth and to be able to hear the honest opinions of your peers can help you to take your work to the next level. Plus it was cool- if you got an "A" you knew you really earned it.
We also had 3 juried pieces, where not only did we have the class critique our work- but we had to present it in our auditorium, in front of the whole visual comminications dept(graphic design, mixed media, photography) and present our work to a panel of professionals and a department chair of the vis.comm dept while they critiqued our work in front of the whole gang of people with you standing there. Imagine American Idol standing in front of Simon,Paula and Randy after a performance. lol
Those were scary but once again a great chance for growth, because they are brutally honest.
Are you a member of a local camera club or photography club? If not Id really recommend joining. If your school doesn't have critiques and juries- the clubs usually do. Plus a great way to learn photography is also to surround oneself with those outside of school setting, who also love and know the craft and have been at it for years.
  Are you in for a degree in photography or just taking a few classes? If you are in for a degree/certificate, then where are you at in the program?
Were these shot digitally or with a manual? Have they been manipulated in Photoshop? How were they lit? What grades did you get on them? What was everyones favorite? I'm guessing the first. Cheesy What is your favorite & why?
If you want I can offer a couple other comments on some of them if you IM me.

Once again great job & keep up the good work!

Elphalba

Wow, what a lot of questions!  Its nice to meet a fellow photographer here!   I have had a few things submitted to a magazine and published, but I havent tried for ages.. 
My tutor loves my work, which although people think is nice, is quite embarrassing, I think.  Hes always going on about how talented I am in front of the class, leaving me ready to curl up on the floor or run away!  Im not very good at taking compliments like that! Tongue 
Your classes method of critique sounds amazing (if a little scary)!  We dont have anything like that.  What a great way to grow and learn though!! 
Im not a member of a photographic club, but I keep meaning to join!  Ive just moved to a new area so I havent got around to it yet.
Right now Im just taking a part time class, but I start a full time National Diploma in photography this September, and then I hope to go onto uni and do a degree!
All the photos I posted are digital.  I shoot mainly with a manual 35mm SLR and a 50mm prime, because thats what I have to use for college, but my scanner is awful so I hardly ever get them onto the computer.
Theyre all manipulated in Photoshop, but to be honest, I hate photoshop, I get bored of it, so the less time I have to spend there the better.  I try to get everything right in camera, the most I manipulate is a curves layer and sharpening.  And of course converting to b&w (using the lab colour method).
Everyone likes the first, I have it on website where its VERY popular, Ive sold about 10 prints of it. 
My favourite out of that selection?  The Boy and guitar.  Im proud of it because its just what my brother wanted, an emotive portrait of himself and his music.  Also, we had A LOT of fun shooting it!  Hes 12 so cant sit still for long, so I had him pulling all different faces and expressions to relax in front of the camera. 
I think Ill take you up on the offer of IMing.  Cheesy

I wandered on over to deviantART to take a look at more  Smiley  Now, I am going through all of your pieces...thanks for making me stay at the computer for over an hour (so far!)  Tongue

An hour?  Oops, sorry!  And Im glad you liked them!  :*

Great work! Did you work with a make up artist? 

If you lived in the US I'd hire to take "family" photos!  I can't stand the typical family photos with everyone in jeans and white shirts or some such uniform!  Your photos are the type of photos I want in my house I just want to be in them!  Smiley

I don't work with a makeup artist, although sometimes one of my friends who does alot of makeup helps me out.  But usually I tend to do it for the models myself.  And yes, the whole jeans and white shirts type pictures are one of my pet hates!   Roll Eyes

Were the lights in the eyes added digitally, or were they there when the photo was taken?

The lights were in the eyes when the photo was taken, I made the model sit in front of the sun so there were lots of catchlights.  Smiley

So are these digital, or did you develop prints in the lab?

They're digital.  I do alot of film, mainly because I have to at college which I develop myself in the lab but I'm too lazy to scan them.   Tongue

Just had some spare time so I looked you up on the net! Nice to see you've got your images out there in lots of places. I can't believe you're only (17 now right?). I didn't read your origional post properly, I assumed you were at university, not college, (and you're here in the UK right?).  Smiley Love all your other pictures too, especially just like sleeping, the fairytale moment and the picture of the girl in the yellow skirt.  Smiley

hehe Aww you looked me up!  That comment made me google myself, quite alot came up, I was suprised!!   Grin  Yeah I'm 17, at college and in the UK.  Thankyoou!   Kiss

Very moving!!  Hard to believe you're only 17.  How did you find your visual voice so early?  Its loud, clear and bold.  Its taken me years to find that in my own work.  Keep on keepin on. 

I promise I am.  And I think it was growing up with a very creative family.  My dad draws, paints, and such all the time and my mum is into every kind of craft there is!  Also Ive been un-schooled since I was 7 so I think thats given me the time and freedomn to experiment so much to find my style. 

WOW!  That was a very long post!!  Sorry I could reply to every comment, but I need to go to bed!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feed my crafting habit - buy my prints at http://silxy.deviantart.com/store!!
Natural Starlet

Fashionista at Birth

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2006 07:33:45 AM »

Breath-taking!

Please share more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Exeter_Flud
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2006 10:46:25 AM »

I also take some photography, but yours are just beautiful. I love how it captures the little details and such that no one really notices. I just started about a year ago with photography, and I'm looking for a nice yet affordable camera. I have a tiny crappy one right now, but here are some of mine. Mine can't  even compare to yours though.

I hope you like em'! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kiss Me, Hold Me, Eat Me...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Swatches Palette in Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Type Tool in Illustrator CS3
How to Use the Undo Command in Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Toolbox in InDesign CS3
How to Use the Zoom Tool in After Effects CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...