A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
797 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My photography! Portraits, weird, conceptual..Image heavy!  (Read 2675 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bestsundaydress

colour me black and white

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2006 11:07:59 AM »

Hi!
Just thought I'd post a few of my photos, I'm studying photography at college and wanted to see what all you lovely people thought, as opposed to art teachers and such!   Grin

Ok, I'll stop now, it'll probably already take too long to load!

xx
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006 11:43:30 AM by bestsundaydress » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feed my crafting habit - buy my prints at http://silxy.deviantart.com/store!!
kiwiblue
Personal Swap encouraged

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006 11:34:19 AM »

I love your pictures . the first one is one of the beautiful haunting pictures Ive ever seen .. I don't care what your teacher thinks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SEMPER IN FAECIBVS SVMVM,SOLE PROFNDVM VARIAT
bestsundaydress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006 11:44:24 AM »

Oh thanks Kiwiblue, that's such a nice compliment!   Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maehem

.glitz and glamour.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006 11:47:53 AM »

gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 alyssamae
ArmyOfMe

It should be raining

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006 12:15:34 PM »

lovely, just lovely. my favorites are the first and the last

<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mintbamboo
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006 12:21:24 PM »

i love black and white photography. i love your black and white photography. i love guitars. i love your first picture. the eyes really speak in it, its amazing.

your other pictures are fantastic, but wow, that first one just grabs me and i cant look away. what did your teacher(s) say about it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm your fool
Drea4545

Nothing is so simple that it can't be screwed up

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006 02:37:59 PM »

I think you are very talented.  There is a sensitivity in your portraits- a depth.  You should focus on human subjects because I think that is where your gift really shows.  #1 and #5 are fascinating. Good use of light/dark.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006 02:40:29 PM by Drea4545 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

siouxdxie
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006 03:24:57 PM »

You are really good. How you use light is great, you protray emotion so well. I could go on, but I will say I have worked (did grunt work for) with a pro who has been is somewhat known and he couldn't do what you did with the first pic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiwiblue
Personal Swap encouraged

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006 03:47:33 PM »

Exactly!!! You have it!! , don't let anyone tell you different
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SEMPER IN FAECIBVS SVMVM,SOLE PROFNDVM VARIAT
purplesky
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006 03:52:47 PM »

Awesome pics!  I too went to school for a brief while for photography.  Although I've switched majors (couldn't stand the art classes) I still love to take pictures, especially b&w.  I really love the first 2.  Great work, keep it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iScreamedMyselfHoarse
Boldly screaming where no one has screamed before...

And Jesus, I'm ready to go home...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006 04:04:50 PM »

So I know it's been said but that first picture is AMAZING! That is what I wanted my senior pictures to look like, they came out pretty well, but more happy... anyway I love them your amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

He wraps Himself in Light, and darkness tries to hide and trembles at His voice... How great is our God!

PM me if you would like to trade something knitted for a size 12-20 Built by Wendy sewing Pattern... never been used!
autopilotstar
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006 04:49:06 PM »

Beautiful... absolutely beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006 07:31:03 PM »

beautiful photos! the first one is my favorite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006 04:09:22 AM »

Very lovely, very lovely indeed  Grin  Deep, striking, and capturing... Smiley

Would you mind sharing what equipment you used?  Camera, lighting, etc.?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschkitty
Beading & forum addicted!

www.kitschkitty.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006 07:04:42 AM »

Ditto what everyone else has said!  Smiley

I hit this rocks - I think you are really talented in capturing the atmosphere, mood and emotion. They are very empathetic and intuitive pictures, you've really managed to capture feeling, which is hard to do.

You're sure to get a top grade with work like that - are you planning a career in photography/photographic art, if so what field do you hope to go in to?

Look forward to telling people we knew you before you were famous!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you love to chat about beading come join us at www.uk-beaders.co.uk/forum.htm
Find hundreds of UK based bead suppliers and more at www.uk-beaders.co.uk

Kitty's Unique Boutique
Custom creations designed to delight   www.kitschkitty.co.uk
Tiegan

The Dude Abides

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006 09:21:48 AM »

Fellow photographer here- went to college for it & have been doing it for about 15 years now. Specializing in Creative Portraiture.
First two images are outstanding. The first one being my favorite. Id suggest you submit it to a magazine for publication. :-)
The tonality in the majority of the images are right on. The blacks are black and the white are white & there is detail in the shadow & in the highlights- and a great range of greys. They really "pop" The first image- the eyes pull you right in. Beautiful.
How does the teacher grade your prints?
When I was in college we had a critique for each project where we had to stand in front of the class and explain our piece- then the class had a chance for input and they critiqued our work-(good and bad aspects) along with the instructor.Our grade was based not only on the teachers opinions but the opinions of our peers on our work. This was a great chance for growth and to be able to hear the honest opinions of your peers can help you to take your work to the next level. Plus it was cool- if you got an "A" you knew you really earned it.
We also had 3 juried pieces, where not only did we have the class critique our work- but we had to present it in our auditorium, in front of the whole visual comminications dept(graphic design, mixed media, photography) and present our work to a panel of professionals and a department chair of the vis.comm dept while they critiqued our work in front of the whole gang of people with you standing there. Imagine American Idol standing in front of Simon,Paula and Randy after a performance. lol
Those were scary but once again a great chance for growth, because they are brutally honest.
Are you a member of a local camera club or photography club? If not Id really recommend joining. If your school doesn't have critiques and juries- the clubs usually do. Plus a great way to learn photography is also to surround oneself with those outside of school setting, who also love and know the craft and have been at it for years.
  Are you in for a degree in photography or just taking a few classes? If you are in for a degree/certificate, then where are you at in the program?
Were these shot digitally or with a manual? Have they been manipulated in Photoshop? How were they lit? What grades did you get on them? What was everyones favorite? I'm guessing the first. Cheesy What is your favorite & why?
If you want I can offer a couple other comments on some of them if you IM me.

Once again great job & keep up the good work!

Elphalba
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006 09:39:27 AM by Elphalba » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pop into my Blog and say Hi!
http://pumpernickelandrye.wordpress.com/

Non judgement day is near.
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006 09:27:22 AM »

Those are all really great, but as everyone else has said, the first one really blew me away!! Great work!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006 09:42:41 AM »

I wandered on over to deviantART to take a look at more  Smiley  Now, I am going through all of your pieces...thanks for making me stay at the computer for over an hour (so far!)  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
floggingmolly
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006 10:28:27 AM »

Wow, those are absolutely beautiful I adore the first picture; the eyes just jump out at you its great. I love your work you are amazing. How long have you been studying?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jesus saves, Gretzky scores. The workers slave, the rich get more, one wrong move and we risk the cup. so play the man, not the puck!
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006 10:35:11 AM »

Great work! Did you work with a make up artist? 

If you lived in the US I'd hire to take "family" photos!  I can't stand the typical family photos with everyone in jeans and white shirts or some such uniform!  Your photos are the type of photos I want in my house I just want to be in them!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006 10:37:02 AM »

I can't stand the typical family photos with everyone in jeans and white shirts or some such uniform!  Your photos are the type of photos I want in my house I just want to be in them!  Smiley

Ditto.  "The Picture People" photos, seem to be the equivalent of "The Uniform People."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2006 10:46:50 AM »

I'm a photographer and I think you have amazing images...It's amazing that some people are even allowed to graduate, but I have to say that all of the pics you have up are beautiful and exquisite.  I'm very impressed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
barbwire
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2006 10:48:52 AM »

Very nice!  I have always fought with my teachers about image/content and grading on things they didn't like, as opposed to "did I get the technique right?"  Art is so subjective, but I love yours!  

Barbara
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschkitty
Beading & forum addicted!

www.kitschkitty.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2006 12:31:24 PM »

Just had some spare time so I looked you up on the net! Nice to see you've got your images out there in lots of places. I can't believe you're only (17 now right?). I didn't read your origional post properly, I assumed you were at university, not college, (and you're here in the UK right?).  Smiley Love all your other pictures too, especially just like sleeping, the fairytale moment and the picture of the girl in the yellow skirt.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you love to chat about beading come join us at www.uk-beaders.co.uk/forum.htm
Find hundreds of UK based bead suppliers and more at www.uk-beaders.co.uk

Kitty's Unique Boutique
Custom creations designed to delight   www.kitschkitty.co.uk
lelila
geek.

nerd love.

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006 12:46:03 PM »

I'm a fellow college photo student.   Grin  So are these digital, or did you develop prints in the lab?  My favorite is the girl on the bed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will private swap for handspun yarn!

My wists.

KER+ Exp+ SPM+(+) Bam++@ Syn+@ Wool+(+)@ Stash++ Scale- Fin--  Ent+ Tex++ Lace++ Int-@ Flat++ Circ+(-) DPN+ !Swatch-- FO+ WIP++ W+@ ALTSw(++)
roasted_kiwi

My head's the cliff, my heart's the bitter buffalo

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006 01:15:27 PM »

Wow.  The first is stunning...  Were the lights in the eyes added digitally, or were they there when the photo was taken?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The naked truth is better than an issue skirted.
honeebee
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006 01:32:52 PM »

gorgeous! my favorite one is the one with the water droplets on the leaf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
3beadgirls
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006 02:36:48 PM »

your black and white photos are beautiful! keep up the good work.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pleasurseekr
GUILTY BY NATURE SUBLIME BY DESIGN

If it ain't broke....BREAK IT!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006 03:28:54 PM »

Very moving!!  Hard to believe you're only 17.  How did you find your visual voice so early?  Its loud, clear and bold.  Its taken me years to find that in my own work.  Keep on keepin on. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my daddy says i shouldn't know about such things.
bestsundaydress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006 04:31:16 PM »

I'm not quite sure how this is going to work, but I'm going to try and reply to all questions in one post!  Famous last words!   Wink  I'm going to have to split it into two posts!

Firstly, thankyou all so much for the compliments and encouragement, they made me smile.  If any of you ever want me to take photos of you, contact me!  I'm always on the look out for new models.  Except I live in the UK.

i love black and white photography. i love your black and white photography. i love guitars. i love your first picture. the eyes really speak in it, its amazing.

your other pictures are fantastic, but wow, that first one just grabs me and i cant look away. what did your teacher(s) say about it?

I love black and white photography too, and guitars!  Im pretty crap at playing myself though, but my brother is amazing (thats him in the picture, hes twelve years old.)  And I havent actually shown that photo to my tutors, as its digital and done outside of college, but Im thinking of submitting it as a project thingy.  Smiley

Would you mind sharing what equipment you used?  Camera, lighting, etc.?

I use an Olympus 5060 (crap consumer digital but I cant afford expensive right now) an old Nikon SLR film camera with a 50mm 1.8 prime and various medium format/digital SLRs at my college. 

As for lighting, I use mainly natural with white home-made reflectors, but I also use a studio (nothing fancy usually, just a big softbox and flash) when I can.  I prefer natural light though, as I think it adds to the atmosphere of the overall photo.

Ditto what everyone else has said!  Smiley

I hit this rocks - I think you are really talented in capturing the atmosphere, mood and emotion. They are very empathetic and intuitive pictures, you've really managed to capture feeling, which is hard to do.

You're sure to get a top grade with work like that - are you planning a career in photography/photographic art, if so what field do you hope to go in to?

Look forward to telling people we knew you before you were famous!  Grin

Thank you so much!  Anyway, I would love to have a career in the photographic industry.  Right now Id LOVE to shoot portraits for people, and also to have art exhibitions of my photographs.  Thats what I plan to do, but first I have to finish college and then Uni!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bestsundaydress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2006 04:32:13 PM »

Fellow photographer here- went to college for it & have been doing it for about 15 years now. Specializing in Creative Portraiture.
First two images are outstanding. The first one being my favorite. Id suggest you submit it to a magazine for publication. :-)
The tonality in the majority of the images are right on. The blacks are black and the white are white & there is detail in the shadow & in the highlights- and a great range of greys. They really "pop" The first image- the eyes pull you right in. Beautiful.
How does the teacher grade your prints?
When I was in college we had a critique for each project where we had to stand in front of the class and explain our piece- then the class had a chance for input and they critiqued our work-(good and bad aspects) along with the instructor.Our grade was based not only on the teachers opinions but the opinions of our peers on our work. This was a great chance for growth and to be able to hear the honest opinions of your peers can help you to take your work to the next level. Plus it was cool- if you got an "A" you knew you really earned it.
We also had 3 juried pieces, where not only did we have the class critique our work- but we had to present it in our auditorium, in front of the whole visual comminications dept(graphic design, mixed media, photography) and present our work to a panel of professionals and a department chair of the vis.comm dept while they critiqued our work in front of the whole gang of people with you standing there. Imagine American Idol standing in front of Simon,Paula and Randy after a performance. lol
Those were scary but once again a great chance for growth, because they are brutally honest.
Are you a member of a local camera club or photography club? If not Id really recommend joining. If your school doesn't have critiques and juries- the clubs usually do. Plus a great way to learn photography is also to surround oneself with those outside of school setting, who also love and know the craft and have been at it for years.
  Are you in for a degree in photography or just taking a few classes? If you are in for a degree/certificate, then where are you at in the program?
Were these shot digitally or with a manual? Have they been manipulated in Photoshop? How were they lit? What grades did you get on them? What was everyones favorite? I'm guessing the first. Cheesy What is your favorite & why?
If you want I can offer a couple other comments on some of them if you IM me.

Once again great job & keep up the good work!

Elphalba

Wow, what a lot of questions!  Its nice to meet a fellow photographer here!   I have had a few things submitted to a magazine and published, but I havent tried for ages.. 
My tutor loves my work, which although people think is nice, is quite embarrassing, I think.  Hes always going on about how talented I am in front of the class, leaving me ready to curl up on the floor or run away!  Im not very good at taking compliments like that! Tongue 
Your classes method of critique sounds amazing (if a little scary)!  We dont have anything like that.  What a great way to grow and learn though!! 
Im not a member of a photographic club, but I keep meaning to join!  Ive just moved to a new area so I havent got around to it yet.
Right now Im just taking a part time class, but I start a full time National Diploma in photography this September, and then I hope to go onto uni and do a degree!
All the photos I posted are digital.  I shoot mainly with a manual 35mm SLR and a 50mm prime, because thats what I have to use for college, but my scanner is awful so I hardly ever get them onto the computer.
Theyre all manipulated in Photoshop, but to be honest, I hate photoshop, I get bored of it, so the less time I have to spend there the better.  I try to get everything right in camera, the most I manipulate is a curves layer and sharpening.  And of course converting to b&w (using the lab colour method).
Everyone likes the first, I have it on website where its VERY popular, Ive sold about 10 prints of it. 
My favourite out of that selection?  The Boy and guitar.  Im proud of it because its just what my brother wanted, an emotive portrait of himself and his music.  Also, we had A LOT of fun shooting it!  Hes 12 so cant sit still for long, so I had him pulling all different faces and expressions to relax in front of the camera. 
I think Ill take you up on the offer of IMing.  Cheesy

I wandered on over to deviantART to take a look at more  Smiley  Now, I am going through all of your pieces...thanks for making me stay at the computer for over an hour (so far!)  Tongue

An hour?  Oops, sorry!  And Im glad you liked them!  :*

Great work! Did you work with a make up artist? 

If you lived in the US I'd hire to take "family" photos!  I can't stand the typical family photos with everyone in jeans and white shirts or some such uniform!  Your photos are the type of photos I want in my house I just want to be in them!  Smiley

I don't work with a makeup artist, although sometimes one of my friends who does alot of makeup helps me out.  But usually I tend to do it for the models myself.  And yes, the whole jeans and white shirts type pictures are one of my pet hates!   Roll Eyes

Were the lights in the eyes added digitally, or were they there when the photo was taken?

The lights were in the eyes when the photo was taken, I made the model sit in front of the sun so there were lots of catchlights.  Smiley

So are these digital, or did you develop prints in the lab?

They're digital.  I do alot of film, mainly because I have to at college which I develop myself in the lab but I'm too lazy to scan them.   Tongue

Just had some spare time so I looked you up on the net! Nice to see you've got your images out there in lots of places. I can't believe you're only (17 now right?). I didn't read your origional post properly, I assumed you were at university, not college, (and you're here in the UK right?).  Smiley Love all your other pictures too, especially just like sleeping, the fairytale moment and the picture of the girl in the yellow skirt.  Smiley

hehe Aww you looked me up!  That comment made me google myself, quite alot came up, I was suprised!!   Grin  Yeah I'm 17, at college and in the UK.  Thankyoou!   Kiss

Very moving!!  Hard to believe you're only 17.  How did you find your visual voice so early?  Its loud, clear and bold.  Its taken me years to find that in my own work.  Keep on keepin on. 

I promise I am.  And I think it was growing up with a very creative family.  My dad draws, paints, and such all the time and my mum is into every kind of craft there is!  Also Ive been un-schooled since I was 7 so I think thats given me the time and freedomn to experiment so much to find my style. 

WOW!  That was a very long post!!  Sorry I could reply to every comment, but I need to go to bed!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Natural Starlet

Fashionista at Birth

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2006 07:33:45 AM »

Breath-taking!

Please share more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Exeter_Flud
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2006 10:46:25 AM »

I also take some photography, but yours are just beautiful. I love how it captures the little details and such that no one really notices. I just started about a year ago with photography, and I'm looking for a nice yet affordable camera. I have a tiny crappy one right now, but here are some of mine. Mine can't  even compare to yours though.

I hope you like em'! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kiss Me, Hold Me, Eat Me...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Filtering, Reordering and Sorting Files in Bridge
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Saving a Workspace, Rating and Labeling
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Viewing Files in Bridge
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Introducing Navigation and Adobe Bridge
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using the Navigator Palette
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...