A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,400
Currently Running With Scissors:
789 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embarrasing Question....  (Read 1605 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

poorlittlefish
« on: March 28, 2006 08:36:14 AM »

Ok, so, I could ask my super-quilter-mother-in-law this question but I think that it would lower her opinion of me.  I am a beginning quilter and I made a baby quilt for a friends shower (that is this Saturday).  I have finished it except I need to tie it and sew up the binding around the edge (hand sewing it).  I have been so stressed at work, traveling and such and have had no time to finish this and it has become a total thorn in my side. 

So, here comes the embarrasing part...can I use Stitch Witch to finish up the binding or will that turn out to be a disaster?  Do I need to buck up and just sew the damn thing? 

Thanks for your help...and for not judging me  Tongue
jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lorky
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006 11:43:14 AM »

Buck up and sew the damn thing.  You'll be happier with the results.  Trust me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

poorlittlefish
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006 01:33:43 PM »

I was hoping you wouldn't say that...thanks though. 

I will plan to sit down with it tonight and sew like crazy. 

Do you always have to hand sew the binding on every quilt or is there another way--fyi for my future quilts.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lorky
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006 02:59:10 PM »

I have a cheater method where you sew it with a machine and then wrap it around so you only have to hand sew one side. 
And I've heard that its best to go ahead and machine stitch it if its a baby blanket because the stitch is tighter and will withold the washings. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yosemitequilter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006 01:21:29 PM »

Here's my humble opinion, for what it's worth. First, I agree that machine-sewn bindings are generally more durable, and are perfectly fine for a baby quilt that's most likely going to get washed alot. It may not look as "perfect" as a hand-sewn binding, but you're probably the only one who will notice - i.e., your recipient isn't going to be any less pleased with your hand-sewn gift. I personally loathe sewing by hand, so almost always machine-sew my bindings. Check out this link for a very good method to follow:

www.make-it-easy.com/BindingPDF.pdf

Good luck.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lorky
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006 09:30:26 PM »

Yes, thats pretty much the method I was shown and you can hand sew the second (front) side if you want.  My stitches weren't straight at all when I machine sewed mine so now I'll hand sew.  Its up to you and how well you sew. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006 07:56:50 AM »

Sometimes for baby quilts, I buy packaged double fold binding at the notions department.  This is very easy to sew on.  If you look at it closely, you will see that one side overlaps  the other.  This wider side goes on the bottom as you top stitch the binding on the quilt.  You can get the whole binding on in one pass, though I usually have to go back and stitch down parts that popped out from underneath.

Bindings aren't the easiest part of quilting, so you should not be embarrassed by this question!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angelofmusic

Cinderella's Castle: from the Rose Garden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006 12:37:28 PM »

Quilting Confession Time: I always machine sew baby quilt bindings.  More durable in the wash and, well, to be quite honest, I'm lazy.  I just make the backing larger than the top, then do a rolled binding.  I use my iron to iron over the raw edge, then I roll that over the top and machine stitch in the ditch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frogs have it easy...they can eat what bugs them!
siamquilter
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006 10:44:21 PM »

An idea for next time--my quilt group works on a lot of baby quilts for charity. So instead of binding, we do a sandwich--batting, backing (right side up), top (right side down), then stitch 1/4" seams all around leaving about 6 or 7 inches open so that it can be turned. Some people then slip stich the opening closed. Then the quilt is either tied or machine quilted. I don't like hand stitching, so I press the edges neatly all around, including the opening, then pick one of the fancy stitches I normally don't use--I have ducks & alligators, then stitch all around the edge of the quilt, making sure I stitch the opening closed. My thought is the fancy stitch is cute and probably makes it a bit stronger. Most of the quilts we make are 42 x 54 inches or smaller.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angelofmusic

Cinderella's Castle: from the Rose Garden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006 11:18:42 PM »

An idea for next time--my quilt group works on a lot of baby quilts for charity. So instead of binding, we do a sandwich--batting, backing (right side up), top (right side down), then stitch 1/4" seams all around leaving about 6 or 7 inches open so that it can be turned. Some people then slip stich the opening closed. Then the quilt is either tied or machine quilted. I don't like hand stitching, so I press the edges neatly all around, including the opening, then pick one of the fancy stitches I normally don't use--I have ducks & alligators, then stitch all around the edge of the quilt, making sure I stitch the opening closed. My thought is the fancy stitch is cute and probably makes it a bit stronger. Most of the quilts we make are 42 x 54 inches or smaller.
I've done the sandwich & flip quilts too!  It's really easy that way isn't it?
Also, I like the idea of the fancy stitches like ducks or alligators...wish I had a fancy machine to do those.  All I've got is my mom's sewing machine from the 70s.  The fanciest thing it does is zigzag.  However, it serves it's purpose and has made many many items of clothing over the years!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frogs have it easy...they can eat what bugs them!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Develop a Module
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Rate and Sort Images
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Import Images
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Use Adobe Lightroom
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using Autoflow for Automatic Documents
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...