A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,850
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: robot stained glass!  (Read 3365 times)
Tags for this thread: stained_glass  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annamal
« on: July 04, 2004 07:46:38 PM »

A friend of mine does stained glass, and he said he'd help me do stained glass if I sewed a shirt for him.  Naturally, I agreed since I've always wanted to try stained glass out.  It ended up being a lot easier than I thought!  I have an obsession with robots, so I decided it would be easy to do because of the boxy shape.   Here's me grinding glass on the bathrom floor surrounded by tennis balls.
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL68/1623497/4038313/49986762.jpg
I have it hanging in the window in my apartment.  I have a great view of some dumpsters and a parking garage so this makes the view a bit prettier.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010 08:52:30 PM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken pic links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004 08:32:59 PM »

the robot is really cute. i'd love to learn stained glass. and btw whats with the tennis balls? wouldn't want to get up in the night to pee..might get dangerous Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annamal
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004 08:36:26 PM »

Actually that's my friends bathroom.  He's an odd kid with a weird tennis ball obsession.  Surprisingly, they don't get in the way.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004 08:42:14 PM »

sounds like a cool guy Smiley did it take you long to make the robot? i know my mom did stained glass but it was a workshop that you do a bit each time so i have no idea how long it really took.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annamal
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004 08:50:07 PM »

It did take a long time.  I think we did it in two or three "sessions".  First, we mapped out the pattern, chose the glass, transfered the pattern to the glass and cut it out.  Next we sanded all the edges, then cleaned all the pieces.  After that, we put the foil stuff around the pieces, put them in order on a board and pinned em all real close together, then fluxed them and saughtered.  After that we just washed it up, petinad it and it was done.  Yeah I think we did the glass cutting/grinding part one night, and the rest another.  My hands hurt really bad after the first night from grinding glass.  I'm thinking it prolly takes awhile to get used to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004 09:20:51 PM »

plus i'd need the supplies. might try a class somewhere, maybe the high schools, i took pottery once it was fun. and my dad took an upholstery one yrs ago. he learned a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twitching_cheerio
Moody Teen

fyi...thats not me...thats KAC :or: Kevin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004 01:08:17 PM »

dude thats cool *ROBOTS twitch* ive alrways wanted to do stained glass
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not all Scars Show
Not all wounds heal
Sometimes you can't always see
The pain someone feels

|K|e|v|i|n| |A|l|e|x|a|n|d|e|r| |C|l|a|r|k|
my Anti-Drug
youhurrywonder
you are the music

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004 10:00:12 AM »

I am absolutely jealous. i love stained glass and that is just beyond adorable.
its also wierdly cute to me that your friend has a tennis ball obsession.
xoxo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you arm your face with the cruellest eyes...
shes crafty
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004 07:24:32 AM »

I took a stained glass class a couple of years ago at the local junior college taught by a couple who owned a stained glass shop.  So, check your community college or stained glass place for info on how to learn. 

I'm really curious about the tennis ball obsession, too.  Random, but they are bright and bouncey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lstarr
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004 12:27:40 PM »

YAY robot!!! awesome project!
I taught a $20 stained glass class last spring at a community centre. I'm certainly not a professional but I taught the basics and the projects turned out really well yay!! My suggestion would be to find a cheap class (or get a friend to show you yay!!) to start out because your first project doesn't always turn out the way you want it to. Subsequent projects will be much easier, faster, better and and worth going to a stuido or somewhere that charges more. You'll be able to see if you like it or not and you'll already have basic skills.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Derrick's Website -- http://www.textbookexchange.ca
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photography and the Green Screen
Skating and Photography
Photographing Wildlife
Photographing Big Cats
High Resolution Photography Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...