A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What styles of clothing are most flattering  (Read 4093 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

whitecalx
« on: March 27, 2006 02:13:17 PM »

I'm thinking of making some things because I can't find anything I like in the stores for an affordable price.

I've got a large chest and a lower tummy I'd like to hide.  I'm looking for summer clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinderly
Crazy Cat Lady (in training)

Morkmer loves his eggy!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006 09:38:53 AM »

I like surplice-necked tops that skim the belly to mid-hip, loosely-fitted princess-seam button-down shirts, and loose-fitting tunics in semi-sheer materials (worn with a solid tank under).  I can also rock the twinset if the pieces are made of a material that skims instead of clings (same with tees).

For bottoms, boot-cut jeans are good on me, as are drawstring straight-leg pants, and trouser-cut anythiing.  If I have to wear a dress or skirt, semi-fitted empire waist dresses (mine usually have a surplice neckline), or a long skirt & twin set.  I tend to favor straight skirts, but a bias-cut skirt could be cute, as well.

I work in an office, so the above suggestions may be too corporate/dressy for your taste ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stuff I've made  --  Swap Info  --  Wist  -- got a secret?

Got 4.5" cotton squares?  I <3 personal swaps!
licalee
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006 07:00:48 PM »

I really like shirts that are empire cut and fall below the waist line. I also agree with the boot cut and drawstring styles of pants but I'm big on top and narrow on the bottom. I tend to like the wider legs because they make my shape look more normal and not so top heavy. I have a cousin who is much larger than I and she looks a lot better in pants that are form fitted at least until the knee because it gives her a curvy shape instead of going straight down from her waist and making her look bigger. Wrap skirts that fall to the knee seem to look good on everyone and if you fluctuate in weight a lot like I do.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006 07:29:41 AM »

A-line dresses and skirts (skims right over those problem areas), Princess seaming (allows for a nice fitted look w/o being too tight anywhere), skirts and slacks w/o waistbands (they give a smooth fit from your waist to hip w/o adding bulges!).

I also stay away from pleats right at the tummy...although depending on your belly, inverted pleats may look fine. I also don't go for rear pockets (unless they're jeans).

Hmmmm......I personally stay away from v-neck tops. I have a low bustline and despite the fact that I wear a 40D, they make me look flat-chested! I like sweetheart and split-neck tops (show off that cleavage!), or anything that makes my bust appear "lifted" rather than just hangin' there (and it helps to balance out my big 'ole hips too!).

Anything cut straight from the bustline to the hips tends to make me appear larger and rounder than I am, like regular t-shirts, but they're fine for knocking around at home! I also haven't found a flattering skirt/dress style that allows me to wear the hemline above my knee. That seems to emphasize my roundness even more. That really disappoints me b/c my calves are more muscular now than when I was a skinny gal. Guess I have to try just below the knee?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
whitecalx
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006 12:01:49 AM »

I went shopping today at Fashionbug.  I have such a hard time spending money on clothes!

I got two t-shirts for $11.99 each.

That leaves me $75 left for the rest of my summer clothes.  I saw a few surplice tops that I thought might work well and a really cute gauzy tunic that was so flattering but they were both over $30.  I want to get more than 2 more shirts with my money.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
awfullykaleidoscopic

I <3 protesting.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006 10:11:53 AM »

I find drop-waist shirts/tanks/camis do the trick for a fuller tummy.  Boot cut jeans balance out big hips and thighs.  For big thighs flowy, knee-length skirts hide them and worn with a pair of heels means it really highlights your calves.  For those who are big-busted and don't want to show it, slightly fitted polo shirts are nice.  Tapered jeans (skinny jeans, drainpipes) make hips looks wider than they really are.  Tiny back pockets make your (or my, for that matter) butt look bigger.  Of course tunics with jeans that are more fitted in the thigh and for those who do not like their upper arms, try three-quarter-length or half-length (fitted sleves that come down to the elbow.)  Empire waists of course hide the tummy but have a tendency to make one look pregnant.And that's all I can think of right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under the cities lies a heart made of ground, but the humans will give no love."
--"A Horse With No Name," America

low_budget_diva
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006 12:42:31 AM »

What will be flattering on you will depend on your overall shape. This site has a nice chart of different body types and links to styles that flatter each type: http://www.zaftique.com/?page=shop/detail5&product_id=1533 . I think it's a useful guideline.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you are forty-two years old and you have five children, it's a slippery slope into sweatpants and a minivan. So I just don't go there."--Laura Bennett, Project Runway
felly
19th October's the B.dae

the felly to the ellly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006 02:06:38 AM »

princess or empire cut--- but only start flare from under the boobs or the smallest part of the body..

Not too flare... i always feel pregnent in tops that are too flare or those smocked tube tops..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FeLLy BeLLy MeLLy JeLLy KeLLy TeLLy *heart* Crafty

My Wists: http://www.wists.com/felly
betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006 07:03:23 PM »

According to Stacy and Clinton from What not to Wear, bustier, more "rubenesque" women look great in structured tops.  jackets and blazers should button below the boobs ("lock and load the ladies", i beleive they said).  A-lines are good too.  i think i remember them saying that bootlegs are better because it sort of balances out your body or something.  also really pointy shoes extend the leg line, making you look taller and a bit slimmer. or something like that!

p.s. thats a great link, i'm already eyeing some of those awesome dresses! too bad i don't have 100 bucks to shell out for them.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

low_budget_diva
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006 07:45:04 PM »

I *heart* What Not to Wear! Except when Stacey starts referring to breasts as "puppies." That kind of horrifies me.
I believe they also mention that big-boobed gals should pretty much exclusively wear v-necks and scoop necks, which makes sense 'cause you want to show them off! I sometimes think Stacey and Clinton make everyone look the same (read: boring), but at least they get the shapes right. The British version is more creative, like when they took an art director and brought her to the vintage store. Much cooler than Filene's Basement!
Okay, that was somewhat off topic, but if you (or a friend) gets TLC, you should watch the show, it's fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you are forty-two years old and you have five children, it's a slippery slope into sweatpants and a minivan. So I just don't go there."--Laura Bennett, Project Runway
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Hat
How to Count Crochet Stitches
How to Choose the Right Crochet Hook
How to Choose Crochet Projects
How to Choose Crochet Patterns
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...