A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help on drafting pattern for aline/pleated skirt  (Read 1223 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bubbledragon
« on: March 27, 2006 06:39:59 AM »

So... I saw this skirt on someone the other day that at first looked like an aline with 8 gores, but upon closer inspection the gores turned out to be pleats.  It looked very similar to the following, but the pleats seamed a bit different.  Like instead of laying the extra pleated fabric all the way to one side, it looked like it was "folded" and pressed, so that it was flat against the stitching line.  Does that make any sense?

Now... how would I go about drafting a pattern for something like this?  I'd definately need a zipper.  Then I figured I'd take my measurements, divide by two (for two panels), then add the requisite ease and seam allowances, and then add an inch for each pleat I wanted.

Am I on the right track?  Anyone know of an off the shelf pattern for something similar?  Thanks for any help that you might be able to offer.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006 09:48:54 AM by bubbledragon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006 08:18:09 AM »

the link didn't go anywhere for me, but if you can find another picture, i'll tell you how to make the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
bubbledragon
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006 09:49:41 AM »

I've edited the original, and stole... borrowed the picture from Target's website.  Thanks so much for offering to help!

~bubbles
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006 06:09:57 PM »

it's really hard to tell from this picture, but it looks to me like ordinary knife pleats on an a-line skirt.  all you do is slash your pattern from the hem to the waistline, wherever you want a pleat, and then spread it the amount needed to give you the size pleat you want.  this skirt appears to have just two pleats on each side of center front, and i will just assume it is the same for the back.

the waistband is contoured by cutting off the top of the skirt BEFORE slashing, whatever depth band you want, then close any darts.

i don't understand what you mean in your description of the pleats--the only thing i see that is different from a regular knife pleat is that the top of the pleat is stitched down to the hipline.

don't try to make this skirt from a plain rectangle of fabric, the top has to be shaped or it will spiral around your body.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
bubbledragon
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006 06:19:00 PM »

Ahh!  I see.  No, I wouldn't take just a square, but I understand what you're saying about taking a 'regular' pattern and slashing it.  I've got about 8 yards of muslin that I might hack up and experiment with, and if I have questions, I'll make some rough sketches to illustrate.  I think I get it, though.  Thank you so much!  *grin*

~bubbles
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stereoette
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006 07:41:07 PM »

oooh, ive been wanting a skirt just like that bubbledragon, so if you start drafting soon, tell me how it goes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006 11:53:33 AM »

Is this the type of pleat you are asking about?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubbledragon
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006 11:56:45 AM »

Yes!  That's very much like it!  (Hee, very cute pic, by the way!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006 07:35:05 PM »

They are box pleats.  If you take a square of fabric and place your index finger and thumb about 5" from the centre on each side, then pull it together until your fingers meet, this is how they are formed.  You can make them as big or little as you like, and the amount of fabric needed depends on how big the pleats are.

HTH

Michelle Giordano
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...