A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 305,897
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My surplice-front, black & silver knit birthday wrap dress!  (Read 5945 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2006 11:03:36 AM »

These aren't dumb questions at all - you'll never learn anything if you don't ask! Smiley

absolutely cute as a button with personality...  let me ask a *dumb* question though-- when sewing with knit fabrics does one need to use a serger?    cause i sure as sh*t don't own one!
Nope, you don't need a serger (I'm proof, I don't have one!!). A serger will just neaten up the fabric edges, which you can finish with pinking shears or a zigzag stitch over the edge if you've just got a regular machine. I can't be bothered with the latter, so it's just my trusty ol' pinking shears for me.

I will add to your *dumb* question Gretchen28!  Is there any tricks to sewing with knit fabrics?  Because I bought the pattern and am going to try it out, but I just had a flashback of sewing with jersey, - it was a horrible scrunchy mess.  I think I pulled on it too much.   
Yes, there are tricks, and believe me, I've had my own special horror with stretchy fabrics before someone told me:

1) Use a narrow zigzag stitch everywhere where you'd normally use a straight stitch. This allows the stitching to stretch with the fabric and not break
2) DO NOT STRETCH THE FABRIC AS YOU SEW! This is a great way to get horrible puckers when the fabric isn't stretched.

And, umm, that's about it. Burda World of Fashion magazine always has a little corner in the instructions area talking about stretchy fabrics if you want particulars (like using twill tape on shoulder seams, reinforcing zipper, etc) but if you follow the two tips above you'll be sewing stretchies like a champ in no time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fehr Trade - custom clothing
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
The Monday Makeover - Textured Knot Tutorial
The Monday Makeover - Masculine Chignon Tutorial
The Monday Makeover - New Evening Bob Tutorial
The Monday Makeover - Side-Parted Ponytail Tutorial
Hairstyles in Vogue for Fall/Winter 2013
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Patriotic Table
Craft Challenge #114 - Pick It and Craft It!
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Paper Stars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...