A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,768
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Green top  (Read 3064 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spinster7
« on: March 26, 2006 04:55:54 PM »

I tried to post pictures but for some reason they didn't show up
I made this top using Butterick B4549.  I used some fabric that I got from my aunt.  I did an invisible zipper, except that it was the first time I'd done an invisible zipper and I'm pretty sure I didn't do it right.  Oh well, I'm not that concerned.  All in all, the project probably took me about 6 hours but those 6 hours were stretched out over like 2 months.
I think that it could be a little bit tighter.  I'm used to wearing tight shirts so it's weird to see myself in a loose one, but at this point I'm not going to go back and change it.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010 11:33:02 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
samuraikiss
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006 02:28:39 PM »

Here are your pictures!

It looks really cute. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maliaka
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006 03:06:52 PM »

Wow! That's a shirt you BUY, not a shirt you make! (well, you know what I mean, hehe) Great job sweetie, it looks so  professional!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Winter Lights Clothing ~
http://www.winterlights.etsy.com
smash
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006 04:03:36 PM »

It's a nice fit and very flattering. I don't think you have to worry about it looking too boxy or anything, even though you're used to wearing tighter shirts. I've been trying to doodle out a pattern for a shirt, and this is exactly what I had in mind! Maybe I'll just break down and buy a pattern.

Nice work. Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spinster7
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006 05:26:49 PM »

Here are your pictures!

Hey!  The pictures!  How did you get them to show up?  I just uploaded them to the Craftster photo page and was going to post them, but they were already here.  Ahh, technology.
Anyway, I'm glad they're here now, and thanks for the comments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loreleiariadne
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006 06:51:57 PM »

I like the fit of the shirt, very feminine.  Awesome job. 

Did you have to use a special foot for the invisible zipper??  I have a zipper foot, but I was told there's a different one for invisible zippers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glitter is the herpes of crafts. once it gets on you, it never goes away!
spinster7
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006 07:33:49 PM »

The sewing book that I have (from the '60s) mentions a special foot for invisible zippers, but my sewing machine didn't come with one.  I guess what you have to do, according to the '60s book, is iron the zipper flat so that you can get the presser foot as close as possible to the zipper teeth, if that makes sense.  I decided not to do that for some reason, so my invisible zipper isn't as invisible as it could be.  I looked at a top I have that uses an invisible zipper correctly and I'm pretty sure that they must have ironed it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006 08:00:44 PM »

There really is a special foot for invisible zippers (in fact, back in the day, when invisible zippers were new, every invisible zipper package came with the foot enclosed) (of course there weren't so many different kinds of sewing machines back then in the Dark Ages!) Check old Salvation Army stores and thrift stores and see if you can't find one (they were plastic, as I recall, and brightly colored).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006 08:07:13 PM »

Awesome shirt! I love the cut, and the fabric is too cute.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
nicolethegirl
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006 08:08:12 PM »

i like it! is the fabric stretchy??? i just bought some non-stretchy fabric i liked and i want to make a top out of it but i couldn't find a top pattern i liked for non-stretchy fabric. phew. why do i talk like a crazy person? anyways, i think your shirt looks snazzy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

winter, she's a-comin'
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best at Home High-Tech Skin Care Devices
Guy Attempts to Follow a J-Lo Glow Tutorial
Sona Gasparian Talks Personal Style and On-Set Secrets
Turmeric Mask from India
Guy Attempts to Follow a Glitter Eyeshadow Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...