A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,174
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Costume inspired by the Narnia movie.  (Read 4534 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lindsayanne
« on: March 26, 2006 04:36:35 PM »

with no pattern, no directions, and NO experience ever sewing an article of clothing before(!!!!!!!), I set out to make the dress that the Character lucy wore in the final Narnian scene of the Chronicles of Narnia. I'd been in love with that dress since I saw it and wanted to make it for a costume class at a horse show I was entered in. It took me forever, tons of practice fabric, and lots of time learning how to make a pattern (and attach sleeves! yikes!) but I'm finally (mostly) finished!

here is is! (the flash made it look way shinier than it really is! it really just shimmers very slightly)
http://www.soloved.org/weight/narnia6.jpg

This was the only picture I had to the original costume:
http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pevensiesfiles/kingsqueens/kingsqueensadamson.jpg

The super disappointing thing is that I made all this very elaborate narnian type costume for me AND my horse, and got myself injured just before she show and didn't get to ride in the show!!  Cry Talk about a disappointment! So I don't have pictures of it all on my horse yet, but here're all the accessories:

breastcollar, part of the saddle pad and drape for the front of my saddle, and reins (w/ the flowers).

http://www.soloved.org/weight/narnia1.jpg

barding (strappy stuff on horse's rump) Turned out REALLY good considering I just used 2" wide nylon webbbing and a metallic jacquard ribbon. Turned out looking more like armor/metal than I expected but I love the effect.
http://www.soloved.org/weight/narnia2.jpg

cool antique bridle I picked up on ebay, thinking it was kind of narnian looking:

http://www.soloved.org/weight/narnia3.jpg

All the accessories kind of lined up together. The only thing I really want to work on is making the saddle pad a little fancier- maybe a scalloped, embellished edge.

http://www.soloved.org/weight/narnia4.jpg

And the PERFECT accesory, the lucky goose that got out of having to play dress up last weekend:

http://www.bigdogboutique.com/personal/nwi/images/IMG_5372.jpg

And there you have it! What do you think? Any suggestions? I had to do the horse tack totally from memory since there were no stills, but I think I got generally close.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010 07:41:58 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss American Pie
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006 05:32:17 PM »

Wow, great job. My first project was a costume too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruwena
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006 05:37:34 PM »

Looks like it all turned out perfectly. Can't wait to see the pics of you in the dress on the horse Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006 06:51:59 PM »

wow. well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justforme
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006 07:04:14 PM »

Beautiful. Looks very well made for your first project. I am impressed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. -Indian saying.

True regret is not what you've done but what you have not done.
deedee2344

poke me. i squeak.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006 07:23:12 PM »

OMG! GORGEOUS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnyb64

free as a bird...it's the next best thing to be

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006 08:22:28 PM »

Oh, that costume is beautiful!! I know what you mean, I loved it from the moment I saw it in the movie too. And that's so cool that you were going to ride in it! I'm sorry you weren't able to do it, but if you get the tack on your horse and get some pics of the two of you, you'll have to post it up here!

(And thanks for posting it here. I'm a bit of a costume junkie, I made way too many of them after the Lord of the Rings movies--which is exactly why I haven't been able to afford a Narnian one-- but I don't see costumes on here very often so it's wonderful to see one!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

divinefaeriette

Syd Barrett <3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006 08:32:50 PM »

THAT'S your first attempt at sewing clothes? It's beautiful, it really is. I love it all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Opiate eyes and summer skies.
Tanza
Angel in the making....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006 04:27:06 AM »

If thats your first atempt at sewing clothes and without a pattern boy are you gonna be a pro soon.
You did really well. It all looks great.
Can't wait to see a photo of your and your horsed dolled up in it all.
well done
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006 04:53:20 AM »

That's gorgeous, it's such a shame you did not get to wear it for the competition. I am sure you would have won.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Stitch A Duvet Cover
How to Create Cushion Covers
How to Create Bed Valance
How to Darken a Room Using Curtains
How to Make Your Own Insulated Curtains
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...