A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fjord dress - NEED HELP!!  (Read 2810 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 26, 2006 01:59:17 PM »

ok - I'm trying to make this dress:

http://www.elsewares.com/commerce/Russian-Owl-Dress_MPD302.html
Second version shows how it's made better:
http://www.elsewares.com/commerce/Crest-Dress_MPD578.html

I love it! ok - here's the pattern I made:

I ended up making the body portion in 2 peices, I thought I'd make it easy on myself. HA!

Here's how it looks on:

thank you seaofstars - for the lovely fabric, thisis what I intended it for.

Sorry for the washed out pics, I was trying to get the contrast high enough to see what I'm talking about:

Here's the bad part:

arm up - you can almost see my nipple for the arm pit!!

and with the arm down there is a flap of fabric that hangs down.

I'm thinking I need a dart on the sides and to sew up the front part ( I pulled into my cleavage for more coverage before I took the pics - the whole internet doesn't need to see that much of my boob!)

What do you ladies think?? What should I do here? I don't want to scrap the whole thing!!

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squidtrick
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006 02:06:21 PM »

It's so pretty!  I would actually say to just wear a tank top under it, and let it fall/expose you as it wants. I think it's perfect as is.  But if you want to be sans undergarments, I'd sew up the sides and front a bit.  You might not even need to dart it if you sew the sides up right, because the fabric hanging will look fine. 
Nice job Smiley  But I agree, it's too much boob-showing at the moment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006 02:20:16 PM »

It's so pretty!  I would actually say to just wear a tank top under it, and let it fall/expose you as it wants. I think it's perfect as is.  But if you want to be sans undergarments, I'd sew up the sides and front a bit.  You might not even need to dart it if you sew the sides up right, because the fabric hanging will look fine. 
Nice job Smiley  But I agree, it's too much boob-showing at the moment!

Thanks!

I totally freaked when I put it on...I knew it was going to show some cleavage, but I wasn't thinking it would be that much!! I thought about just wearing it with a cami to, I have some built in bra tops I got at NY & company that would work pretty well since they are kinda silky feeling and wouls slide well against the cotton jersey.

It took forever, since I'm not the best pattern drafter in the world. About 8 hours total - first runs of a pattern always take a long time for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

actoneends

I don't want to be an adult.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006 03:41:12 PM »

that dress is beautiful... i wish i could make it (i'm just trying to make a few skirts without a pattern- i'm no good without patterns)

but yes, it does look like you could just sew up the side a little, and i think that would fix your problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<a href="http://www.myspace.com/thatjennagirl">Find me on MySpace and be my friend!</a>
DJmahg
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006 10:49:10 AM »

could you post a tutorial for those of us that are sewing-impared? I want to try to make these dress with jersey, like the actual dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006 12:04:13 PM »

could you post a tutorial for those of us that are sewing-impared? I want to try to make these dress with jersey, like the actual dress.

Oddly enough, I did take pictures of the process, so I can probably post a walk through of the steps I took to get to this point. It might take me a few days, but as soon as I get a chance, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the comments!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

seaofstars
sew serious

mmmmm... fabric!

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006 08:48:25 PM »

Wow! Your dress is gorgeous  Cheesy

I would have never of thought to use that fabric for a dress, but I'm glad you did. It looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop
http://sewserious.etsy.com

Blog
Blog Giveaway happening right now! Ends Monday, March 7th. Stop by for details on how to win a free zipper pouch!
http://sewserious.blogspot.com
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006 09:01:11 PM »

Wow! Your dress is gorgeous  Cheesy

I would have never of thought to use that fabric for a dress, but I'm glad you did. It looks great!

Oh Thank you!! Means alot to me that you like it - you're stuff is so great!!

I'm going to work on it again this weekend. I showed the S.O. and *of course* he didn't see anything wrong with how much was hanging out!  Tee Hee! I'm just not comfortable wearing it out of the apartment like that. @_@ 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006 03:06:56 AM »

That's lovely - I love the curve of the bust portion especially...

I wouldn't just sew up the underarms at the side seams - that'll ruin the nice drape of the sleeves. I think it'd be better to add in a panel on the inside that sits closer to your body and connects to the back seam and the underbust seam (so it's hidden unless you raise your arms). As for the bust, I have no problems with low necklines, so I'd personally either just get some tit-tape to avoid any unfortunate "Janets", or perhaps take a bit from an invisible bra strap and attach it across the bust gap just so that area doesn't gape. It wouldn't be completely invisible, but it'd keep everything in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fehr Trade - custom clothing
BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006 10:10:20 PM »

I wouldn't just sew up the underarms at the side seams - that'll ruin the nice drape of the sleeves. I think it'd be better to add in a panel on the inside that sits closer to your body and connects to the back seam and the underbust seam (so it's hidden unless you raise your arms).

I second this - just what I was going to say!
What a great dress!
Good luck with the adjustments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...