A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
359 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help w/ learning to use circular knitting needles  (Read 485 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knittedrobot08
« on: March 25, 2006 09:23:08 PM »

I have been knitting for a while, and I have knitted on dpn's before. However, I just bought some circular needles and I am sort of confused about how to use them. How do you knit on them without having stitches going all the way around them? I attempted a pattern that called for size 10.5, which I have, but the stitches didn't cover over all of the cord. I just need to know how to get it started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006 07:37:37 AM »

Did the pattern mention a specific length? You may have got a circ that's too long. However, you can use what's called the `magic loop' method. Which I used (sorta, it's the same effect) years before I ever heard of it. You would pinch the cable together about halfway around your stitches and push the stitches to the two ends, thereby being able to join them together. When you get to the empty cable, do the same again. If you're increasing the stitches or do a row or two you shouldn't have to loop the cable anymore. Unless the needle you have is just simply too long for the project.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
rosecomet

Que papi chulo!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006 07:44:31 AM »

Soozeq is right. The needle is probably too long. Also, once you start to knit, it starts to get longer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittedrobot08
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006 12:26:12 PM »

I see what you are talking about with that magic loop thing. Thanks, I'll try it. I have heard that there are different cord lengths, but when I bought the circular needles at the store, I didn't see anything pertaining to length..just the different needle sizes. I'll look out for that next time, and thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006 04:04:51 PM »

I see what you are talking about with that magic loop thing. Thanks, I'll try it. I have heard that there are different cord lengths, but when I bought the circular needles at the store, I didn't see anything pertaining to length..just the different needle sizes. I'll look out for that next time, and thanks again.

Look at the package it came in - it should say on the front which length. Of course you could measure it.... <g>

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
knittedrobot08
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006 10:49:55 PM »

What I meant by not seeing anything pertaining to length was that I didn't see different options. I just saw the different sizes of needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006 06:30:08 AM »

What brand do you have? The lengths are printed on the cardboard packaging somewhere. Take a look next time you're at a yarn store.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
elijor
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006 10:54:22 AM »

What I meant by not seeing anything pertaining to length was that I didn't see different options. I just saw the different sizes of needles.

It is quite possible they may have only had one length at the store you were in. Joann's and Hobby Lobby for instance sometimes only have one length. Some LYS have all of them hanging on one hook so you have to look behind the front package (all size 7 on one hook - front is shortest, back is the longest).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
You Can Become Sexy in Seconds
How to Rock Bright Lipstick
BEAUTY BUZZ: Jenny Packham - NYFW - Spring/Summer 2015
BEAUTY BUZZ: Monique Lhuillier - NYFW - Spring/Summer 2015
Dose of Colors Lipstick Product Review
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...