I dont know if anyone ever made these but I had to take a crack at it. I got some of the papery ones from my doctor the last time I was in to "stop those embarrassing leaks". Well I giggled and went home. Then I opened the package and took a good look at those pads to "stop those embarrassing leaks" and figured I could make them for cheaper( if I dont have to buy something and can make it instead its cheap to me!). And funny enough after a few trial and errors they work!
Okay here is what you do:
Gather some really soft none itchy material you can stand next to your skin.
a few towels you can part with
something circlular that is a little bigger then your bra(you are going to need a seam allowance) I used a very large coffee cup.
something a little smaller then your circular item for you insert
a brown paper bag(for making template I find they last longer)
all your neccessary sewing stuff
1. Measure first out your coffee cup or circular item onto the paper bag
Do this also for the insert one as well
2. cut both out and put aside
3. get your material together(wash it prior to making this or it may shrink and then you have mini pads). Lay out your material and smooth down flat. I ironed mine.
4. Place down your template. You are going to need 3 pieces of material for each pad. 1 for your front and 2 for back. Cut out. Repeat this for each set of pads. If you want to do this quickly fold your material in half and place down template then you are cutting out two pieces for the price of one!
5. When this is done set all of your covers aside. Towels are next. I used only two pieces of towel to make the insert, but my leaks havent got too embarassing yet for a thickness of anymore then that, but you personally may feel other wise its your call. Do as you just did for the covers but you only need 4 pieces.
6. Whip out your sewing machine or your handy dandy sewing needles. I started with the inserts first. Leave a edge to these incase you have to cut them down. Sew along edges then sew channels into the towel to sop up your mess(yuck)!
Okay here is the cover part:
7.Take your back pieces and fold them not perfectly in half, you want to leave a bit of the bottom, kinda in the shape of a crescent. tack the flap down with pins and sew down the edge so its flat. trim excess. Do this to the other one.
8. Get your front piece and lay down right side up facing you. Take your back pieces and put right sides facing down with the sewn edge kinda overlapping each other but only by a bit . Pin all together. Sew around the edge. Flip right sides out.
9. Get your insert and fit inside. Now if it doesnt want to fit trim little bits off till it does and then you are done.
Here is my finished project:
this is the back side of pads
insert(not the greatest pic)
If anyone has questions feel free to ask, I check this site periodically through the day to see all the new stuff everyone has made!