A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 307,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Poncho Help  (Read 917 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

livlif2thefulest
Always gonna be Craftin'

Fat Cat!

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2004 05:29:01 PM »

Ok. I want to do the ponco on knitty that everyone is talking about and/or knitting. Instead of special ordering US 15, 24" circs, could I use my US 8, 29" circs? What would be the diffrence? Has anyone else done anything similar?
Thanks
Livlif2thefulest  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to live by:
Live Life To The Fullest
dahlea
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004 06:07:40 PM »

Your gauge would be way off and it would end up being a different size and not looking exactly the same.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
livlif2thefulest
Always gonna be Craftin'

Fat Cat!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004 08:11:29 PM »

ok... well is there anyway that I could change my gauge to get it to look like it does? I know the length doesn't matter because it said 24" or longer or does it? I'm confused!  Uhh its too late to be thinging about this. Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to live by:
Live Life To The Fullest
killerdaisy
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004 10:16:34 AM »

well i dont really know what poncho you're speaking of, but regardless of the pattern it's generally not a good idea to use such a drastically different needle size without having gotten gauge with them.

as for the length, i'd have to see the pattern. if it says longer, i suppose you could use longer - just know that that will make the item bigger (if its being knit in the round. if the circular needle is just to hold the weight of the work, then it doesnt matter)

i know its a hassle (and expensive) to buy all those different circs in various sizes *and* lengths, but if you're committed to creating something properly, it must be done.
if you're interested in staying with knitting, maybe check out denise needles (www.knitdenise.com), its basically  all the needles you'll need for a pretty low price. or elann.com often has discounted circs. and even local craft stores (joanne, pearl, etc) have circs in longer lengths. my joanne doesnt carry any under 29", but for you that would be perfect and they only run 2-3 dollars a pair

good luck & let us see pics when you're done :-)

ps- if you *do* test it out (do a major swatch) and manage to get gauge with the 8's, then use them! but know in advance that it might be a futile & frustrating swatching event
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004 10:18:16 AM by killerdaisy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dahlea
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004 11:08:39 AM »

Oh, and one other thing-think of the difference in time between 8 and 15 needles. The 15s will work up a LOT faster than 8s!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
livlif2thefulest
Always gonna be Craftin'

Fat Cat!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004 07:12:43 PM »

ok. I can ask my mom to get them at work on tues. I'm gonna have to wait to make them though  Cry o well.
BTY:
killerdaisy: The poncho is on knitty.com and its on some previous posts about ponchos.
dahlea: Thanks, I'm still knida new at knitting so thanks. I think I will get the 15's 'cause I don't want to be knitting forever!
Thanks everyone,
Livlif2thefulest  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to live by:
Live Life To The Fullest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Wild Animals on Your Tree
Meatless Monday: Crockpot Mac and Cheese
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Tutu Dress

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...