A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,363
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: snuggles project  (Read 925 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GummiSteph
« on: March 24, 2006 01:37:57 PM »

For everyone who loves to knit AND loves animals, i recently stumbled across this organization

www.snugglesproject.org

you can make knitted (or crocheted or sewn) blankets that are given to animals in shelters, so they have somewhere warm and soft to sit/sleep on in their cages.  the website has a list of shelters that accept blankets and gives directions about what size they need and how to donate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frogsrock
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006 02:44:10 PM »

the organizations nice and all but a tad dumb

ever had a knit/crocheted blanket and dogs (or cats... im assuming with them)?
they like to scratch at blankets and pull with their teeth to fluff them up, because if this its very common and easy for claws and teeth to get caught
it hurts the animal when it happens
is pain to un-tangle
and sometimes messed up the blanket

i've had 4 dogs of my own plus experiences with other dogs... it happens a lot no matter what stitch you use
i have trouble getting my own dog to let me untangle her much less a shelter dog who hasent developed trust yet...

if you want to knit for charity i suggest doing them for people instead (homeless shelters, hospitals...) plus a person will apperciate "wow someone made this" more than an animals
and sew or buy for the animals
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soapturtle
Turtle Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006 04:52:26 PM »

My dog loves hand knits and doesn't tear them at all, I really think it depends on the dog and these are worthwhile organisations as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frogsrock
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006 05:00:32 PM »

my dogs dont "tear it up" they're trying to get comfortable but sometimes they get caught in the process
they've only messed up one blanket and it was very loopy... flowers made on a loom thingy attached with crochet chains, but with some work we could fix it

we dont stop the dogs from laying on our blankets, but we have to watch them... i'd say we untangle them once a week, but at a shelter they cant get that kind of attention so its more likely to go unnnoticed, hurting the animal in the process

i just think its a better idea to sew/buy a blanket then spend hours makeing one that could possibly hurt them
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Frew-Frew
Caution: Eye Irritant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006 05:56:46 PM »

I adopted my cat and she came with a little acrylic garter stitched blanket. She'd had it the whole time she was up for adoption. She loved it. It was comforting to have something that smelled familiar. it was the only thing she would lay on the one time I had to have her boarded and when we travelled across the country by car it's what she snuggled with during the drive and in unfamiliar hotel rooms.

It may seem silly, but having a familiar item with the animal when they are adopted eases their transition. If a small cheaply and quickly knitted acrylic blanket helps the animal at all, then who cares if it eventually gets trashed. My cats blanket finally fell apart about a year ago. I was sad to have to throw it away, but grateful that she had it when she needed it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chuck Norris does not knit. He bangs the table, and the shockwaves force the yarn to create clothing.

http://frousworld.blogspot.com/
frogsrock
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006 08:30:35 PM »

when did i ever say giving animals blankets was silly? im saying knitting or crocheting the blanket isent the best idea
your cat would have loved any blanket just as much

personally i'd rather not spend long periods of time on something that has a pretty high potential to hurt an animal
but whatever
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Frew-Frew
Caution: Eye Irritant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006 08:39:51 PM »

Wow, Didn't mean to offend you I was just trying to give a different point of view.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chuck Norris does not knit. He bangs the table, and the shockwaves force the yarn to create clothing.

http://frousworld.blogspot.com/
frogsrock
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006 09:41:19 PM »

didnt mean to sound snappy, i havent been in my right mind lately and earlier your post sounded like an attack, now it doesnt but when im not myself it does
yeah i know that made no sense, not sure how to word it better
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjd
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006 03:24:04 AM »

I think the smart idea would be to make non-holey blankets.  Not lacy at all.  My cats love their entrelac acrylic knit blankets.  I can understand the drive to want to try lace on a small project, but it seems irresponsible to give that to an animal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

あたまの上に下ぎがあります。

wists
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006 10:23:19 AM »

I found this organization a couple years ago and donated a dozen hand-knit pet mats to a local cat shelter.  I used a double strand of yarn to make them nice and thick, and called the shelter ahead of time to see what size would work best for their facility.  The shelter was extremely grateful for the donation and it gave me a way to use up a bunch of acrylic yarn I had laying around.  Most cats won't chew a blanket or mat like they will a loose strand of yarn, and if you read the site carefully, they ask that you make the blankets using a solid stitch so the animals won't get their paws stuck in any holes.  It's a good organization and they care a lot about making the millions of lonely shelter pets a little more comfortable. So if you care about animal welfare, it is definitely a worthwhile cause.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Easily Fix a Broken Eye Shadow
Get Hayden Panettiere’s Sun-Kissed Glow from Her Glamour Cover
See Makeup Genius Kandee Johnson Transform Into Hayden Panettiere
Best Foundation for Olive Skin
Tyra Banks: Beauty In The Future Will Mean Looking Different
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...