A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,360
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wedding Gowns for the... um.. ample? lol  (Read 10628 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

itsnikki
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006 12:26:29 AM »

I actually found my flickr address, and put the photos on photobucket so I don't have to worry about remembering the stupid address.  Grin Grin

ANYWAY....

The picture makes me look washed out and yuck, but here it is. (My mommy and I<3) My husband's grandmother made it for me! This was her 3rd wedding dress! (Lucky to have a seamstress in the family!!)

You can see abit more of the detail on the front there. *edit* maybe you can't. But I like that picture!:P

It's an empire waist, and the sleeves don't meet at the bottom, but they flare out like a bell sleeve. I like the way they're attatched at the top. I think that his grandmother put alot of detail into it that was'nt in the pattern, just to make it special.

(OH, by the way... the veil and tiara, as well as the flowers... were all bought at hobby lobby. If you can find someone with a talent for things... food, flowers, sewing, whatever... see if they can help you. Trust me, it makes a difference in the cost of things. They might charge very little or nothing, and it's really more cost effective than pro's.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid people do stupid things, smart people outsmart each other.

My LJ

-Add me to your livejournal, and I'll add you back!!
opheliareborn
The Bouncy Insomniac

Talk nerdy to me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006 12:23:18 AM »

As someone who has working in a bridal shop, I thought I should probably caution those of you who go to David's Bridal. They're known for for buying "seconds" from the manufacturers.  That means those dresses were rejected by other retailers as being flawed for some reason or another.  I'm not saying they all are, but just be careful.  That being said, if you get a dress from a good place with an inhouse seamstress, they should be able to alter a dress up 1-2 or down 2-3 sizes without stressing the material too much (for those who are crafty, but not necessarily up to the task of rediong a complicated dress).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
granolagirltoo
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006 01:38:28 PM »

Here is the site I bought my wedding dress from 3 years ago. I ordered it online, it came and fit me PERFECTLY. I altered it a bit to add some small sheer cap sleeves (using the free scarf) and to remove the roses, but the empire waist was quite flattering. It was a prom dress, but I liked the price and I got it in ivory. No one knew it wasn't a wedding dress at all! I was a size 20 at the time. This pic of it in royal blue is horrible, but it really was beautiful. Plus, it has gone down in price to $69!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

http://shopshop.com/Prom_Dresses_G1116.htm

Dana
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megan0885
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2006 02:11:43 PM »

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned www.beautypluspower.com.  They are a search engine I believe its called and have links to several plus size clothing retailers.  They even have a formal/bridal section.  At least possible source of inspiration.  Congrats on the wedding btw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taste is the enemy of creativeness. - Pablo Picasso
paroper
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006 04:13:27 AM »

I'd go with the idea of ordering from that site.  WHen you take your measurments, find an experienced seamstress...or go to a bridal shop as an interested shopper and ask them to measure you (they might).  When the measurments are taken, be sure and drop your arms (will make your bust bigger).  Look straight ahead, head up and stand with both feet planted on the floor straight ahead.  You'd be surprised how much this changes your measurments.  It doesn't change so much in the size 3 and size 5 customers (they don't have much to change) but as the sizes go up, it makes all the difference in the world, even with a size 12 customer. 

I don't know if they charged the girl but I had a customer from Colorado have her measurements taken and sent to me in Oklahoma.  The measurments were taken at a bridal shop and they were perfect.  The girl came for her one and only fitting at 2 in the morning (flew in) and it was perfect!  All I had to do was add the hem!  I do not know if she paid for the measurments but if she did it was worth every penny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
japhy47
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006 12:04:30 PM »

Thank you all for posting links to such great sights.I am getting married next year and have been worried about where to find a pattern to fit me.I am going to help one of my friends make a dress for me.My main problem is that I don't want a "normal" wedding dress.I want more of a 50's cocktail dress  with formal fabric.Mid-calf,lots of Tulle,with a tight busty bodice.I have what I want in my head and now it's just a matter of getting it out of there and on my body.
Any suggestions on sights for patterns are greatly appreciated!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bellisima
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006 04:59:46 PM »

I went very non traditional for my wedding last summer. I am so not a gown person - I look awful in them. We decided to have a small wedding in Niagara Falls but I still wanted something special. My maid of honor & I both ordered our outfits from http://pardesifashions.com/ and I can't recommend them ENOUGH. They were WONDERFUL! I am a 26/28 & a 44DD - I'm also 5'4" - almost impossible to get something off the rack. They worked with me, helping me take my own measurements, making suggestions about what might look better & even suggested shoes (I found a pair of thong sandals @ TJ Maxx for $2!!!!). When my 1st outfit arrived there were issues with fitting - I got on the phone & they got a new one made & sent to me directly from India in less than 2 weeks. They were fabulous. I was comfortable & I felt beautiful. Pardesi makes all sizes but will custom make something for any size. My entire outfit, complete w/shoes cost me less than $200. I'm including the flowers, too (I made all the flowers including small favors for all the lady guests myself w/silks from AC Moore for under $75).
(clickables)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
frathousecook
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006 06:14:07 PM »

you are a beautiful bride. 
And your groom looks so happy.
Congratulations and best wishes for many years of happiness

THIS ROCKS   Logged
FututreTrophyWife
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006 07:23:47 PM »

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned www.beautypluspower.com.  They are a search engine I believe its called and have links to several plus size clothing retailers.  They even have a formal/bridal section.  At least possible source of inspiration.  Congrats on the wedding btw.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread or anything...But I just wanted to say thank you for posting this site.  I had bever seen it before but I love it!  Thanks....

Anyway, I just bought my dress at David's Bridal.  It was $500.00 but they had an awesome sale rack!  (I'm a size 24 by the way)  I actually bought 2 dresses off the clearance rack for less than $75.00 for our honeymoon.  One of the them was ripped at the seem but it was only $20.00.  I will easily be able to fix it!  So to make a really long story even longer...lol...I agree, check out the sale racks at bridal/formal stores.  It may be cheaper than you expect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only a few more months until I am a "Mrs."
evilsciencechick
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2006 08:28:51 PM »

Good luck finding a dress, sweetie!

I, too, am getting married in October.  I TOTALLY lucked out.  There is a boutique right here in atlanta that specializes in plus-sized wedding gowns, bridesmaid dresses, and intimate apparel. 

http://www.silverliningplus.com/

they have an awesome selection for a small shop, and their customer service is fantastic.  My dress is beautiful - I can't wait to wear it!  Of course, this only helps if you are in atlanta.  I know they will ship, though, so maybe you can call in an order if you see something on their website you liked?

also, I have a friend in CA who makes gorgeous wedding gowns - I almost had her do mine, but the logistics for cross country fittings were too much for us.  If anyone is in CA - around san francisco, and would like a gorgeous custom made bridal gown - plus sized or otherwise - let me know and I'll share the info.  I know she's SWAMPED with orders now - I only wish I had pictures of her dresses to show!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evilsciencechick.com

Science, knitting, ranting, and sex.  Not always in that order, and often all at once.

Look for me on ravelry!  Hey, that rhymed!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Separations Preview Panel in Illustrator CS4
How to Work With Gradients in Illustrator CS4
How to Use Live Preflight in InDesign CS4
How to Use Smart Guides in InDesign CS4
How to Use the Application Bar in InDesign CS4
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...