A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wedding Gowns for the... um.. ample? lol  (Read 9860 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rosie posie
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006 04:22:54 PM »

Talk to the seamstress first. She might not even work from patterns, so you'd be able to bring magazine clippings of dresses you like and say, "this skirt, that bodice, these sleeves." Bridal shops will alter a dress to fit you, so don't despair if you can't find a perfect fit off the racks. I'm not sure how it works for discount dresses--maybe they charge extra for alterations.

You'll need to see the dressmaker at least three times, probably more, so it might be more convenient to find someone local. Good dressmakers tend to be expensive, but you might get lucky. My husband's wedding suit was made by a phenomonal tailor who had recently emmigrated from Russia and had very reasonable prices because he wanted to drum up business. (It worked--no way could we afford him now!) Ask around at fabric shops; they'll know if your town has one of these hidden gems.

Is the seamstress in your hubby-to-be's hometown a friend of the family? If so, I would advise against using her, especially if she'd be giving you a personal-favor discount. My stepmother made my wedding dress, and I ended up making compromises for the sake of family harmony. The dress was lovely, but not really what I'd had in mind. If I had it to do over again, I would have hired a professional or just shelled out the bucks for the dress I wanted in the first place.

You might also consider looking in the classifieds for used wedding dresses, or check consignment stores.

Congratulations and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i_heart_duckies
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006 02:21:17 PM »

Thanks every one for your helpful posts.  The seamstress does work from patterns, which, to tell you the truth made me a little nervous.  The only reason I was really considering that was because I fell in love with this dress:  http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V1944=x&TI=20003&page=9 (I hope the link works as I've never posted a link on here before)  JeannieBeanie I absolutely love your dress.  Beautiful pic too, gotta love a guy in a kilt.  lol  Anyway, my measurements are about an average of 4" off of the biggest size for that dress and I have super long hair which I inted to wear down, so that dress wouldn't work anyway.  Why have such a dramatic back when I'm gonna cover it up with the wild animal I happen to call my hair?   Cheesy  I definitely plan on making my own veil and the hair pieces for my bridesmaid, my hubby2b's "woman of honor", his "groomswoman", and the flower girl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamasharones
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006 05:45:44 PM »

I got married last july and I bought my dress from davids bridal.  It was on sale for $600 I loved it so much but that was what we were planning to spend.  I would suggest checking out bridal stores when they have sales because some times you really catch good sales but if not you can also try your local china town and see if you can find some chinese ladies to custom make a dress.  They do really good work for really small amount of money.  I know on ebay you can get it done from people in china (my friend did it). Here's a pic of me in my dress

I'm a size 20, but in the picture I was about 4.5 months prego, but we lost the baby unfortunately, but the dress really was loose around the tummy.  It was a tube top dress with a lace jacket (which also lead out to the train) and it had bell sleeves and beading.  I loved it.. it's too bad you can wear your wedding dress daily! I would!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purlgurl

textile arts babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006 10:09:15 PM »

I totally had the same problem... I'm a size 16 or 18 with boobs to match, so trying on wedding dresses was hell.  We got married at the court house but I still wanted a decent dress, you know?  My mom and I went to David's Bridal when they had one of their big sales and struck out with the wedding dresses, but I found a less traditional old-fashioned number in the prom dress section that was on sale for $50.  It was my style, fit really well and didn't need to be altered size-wise.  I know most people want a "real" wedding dress, but you can totally find some stuff in the formal section that looks just like the average traditional white wedding dress for less $$ and could probably be altered a little bit to fit your style for not very much more.

Please ignore my toes sticking out at the bottom... darn shoes hurt Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamamoonie
herbal warfare!

ooooh...bright. need coffee...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006 03:14:57 AM »

http://www.fashionpatterns.com/

Great "ample" patterns!!  inexpensive and really really tailored for those of us in the size 20+ range.  I have made 2 of her patterns for myself, and they are easy to follow and shaped perfectly!  no more huge in the boobs and tight in the butt!!!!

They even have a wicked pretty wedding dress right on the front page. 

Also, Vogue/simplicity  usually has some fairly nice patterns that come in sizes, I have found them right up to sz 32 on the website, but if you find a seamstress that specializes in "ample" folks, she can usually alter the pattern to fit you.  I alter patterns for ample folks (like myself) for my mom's business, and here's what I can tell you from experience:
***Most patterns at JoAnns etc come up to at least a 22.  please choose a pattern that comes at least that big, because there are all sorts of little piddly details that are SO much different if the pattern isn't considered "plus size."  I had a lady ask me to alter a size 6 pattern to fit her size 24 daughter.  ain't happenin. Roll Eyes***

Remember that we're all shaped a little differently.  What looks good on the hourglass-shaped pattern model isn't necessarily gonna look good on ol' barrel-shaped me, LOL

Happy Wedding!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...feed your Head!" --The Doormouse

My personal swap status is officially "on hold till after the big move!"

NH to KS 2007!
KeenKitty
Accident free since...what time is it?

Because everyone loves a muppet...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006 06:56:17 AM »

Your dress looks beautiful!

That is something I would wear you look like a 50's glamour girl!

mon congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

francie pants
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006 08:13:56 AM »

i posted pics of a couple i've made... i wish you got to get married every five years so i could choose a new dress Smiley
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=92056.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chattyKathi
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2006 06:09:20 PM »

wow Jeanie Beanie how awesome was your dress!!?? Everyone looks fabulous! I lucked out 8 years ago when I got married and found a dress in the JCPenney catalog!! I had my bridesaid dresses made by a  mother of one of my sisters friends. everything was simple. I did how ever make my own viel and it was super easy! I just used hair combs and glued on white flowers and then velcroed on the tulle part which I hand sewed on the satin ribbon. it was nice because I could have removed the tulle part and just kept in the flowers. I have no good pics to show or I would.  Tongue
Good luck, and I have to also say that I like purlgurls idea about looking at things other than bridal, I did that too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
itsnikki
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006 05:00:35 PM »

I like the dress that JennyBeanie posted. It's similar to mine, but the sleeves on mine were split on the bottom and sheer. It was a lovely dress, and we got the fabric and pattern at walmart, believe it or not! I'll try to find some pictures.

Oh, and a tip: Don't be afraid to wear a strapless. Because my sister in law wore one, even though she's as large as I am. (Size 18.) It looked BEAUTIFUL on her, fit her perfectly.Smiley Hope you find what you want.Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid people do stupid things, smart people outsmart each other.

My LJ

-Add me to your livejournal, and I'll add you back!!
i_heart_duckies
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2006 08:30:01 PM »

Oh my gosh purlgurl, I LOVE your dress.  I'll be making a trip to David's Bridal in about a month, so hopefully I can find something.  I'm not picky really.  Wedding dress, prom dress, doesn't matter as long as it's white (or red cause I love the idea of that lol) and it looks good.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
CC Cream Reviews
The Rules to Wearing Dark Lipstick Like a Pro
The Trick to Covering Up Age Spots
The Nail Art Trend Is Over
Top Picks for Eye Shadow Primer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...