A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Math hurting my head please help!  (Read 452 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

insertusername
« on: March 23, 2006 04:36:11 PM »

So I have this pattern for a bikini.  I can't seem to figure it out the math does not make sense to me.  I wrote out each row so i could make sure I was not missing anything is goes as follows:
Cups for bikini:
cAST ON 37
rs dec: K 16, k2tog, k1,k2tog, k 16
ws: P15, p2tog, p1, p2tog,p15
rs dec: K 14, k2tog, k1,k2tog, k 14
ws: P13, p2tog, p1, p2tog,p13
rs dec: K 12, k2tog, k1,k2tog, k 12
ws: P11, p2tog, p1, p2tog,p11
rs dec: K 10, k2tog, k1,k2tog, k 10
ws: P9, p2tog, p1, p2tog,p9
rs dec: K 8, k2tog, k1,k2tog, k 8
ws: P7, p2tog, p1, p2tog,p7
rs dec: K 6, k2tog, k1,k2tog, k 6
ws: P5, p2tog, p1, p2tog,p5
rs dec: K 4, k2tog, k1,k2tog, k 4
ws: P3, p2tog, p1, p2tog,p3
rs dec: K 2, k2tog, k1,k2tog, k 2
ws: P1, p2tog, p1, p2tog,p1
k3tog

The intarsia goes as follows:
on row 17 k 14sts work 9 chart sts, k 14 (And there are 8 rows in the intarsia part)
This does not make sense there are only 17 rows! and each row decreases by two yet the k 14sts work 9 chart sts, k 14 adds up to the original cast on # of 37.  I dont even want to do the intarsia for this part (although I will do it on the bottoms) I did a sample one and just following the 1st section (no intarsia) it comes out too small,  I must be missing something!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006 05:11:06 PM »

Well I've never made a swim suit - long past the days of putting a tiny triangle of knit fabric on this body, haha - but I can do math. Adding up what you have does come up wrong. It could be the pattern has an error.

I looked a the knitty bikini top for a reference and they only decrease every other row and that top look pretty small so I can imagine your's would be like a band-aid.

What pattern are you using - maybe you should contact the designer/publisher and see if they have a correction.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
insertusername
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006 05:56:54 PM »

its the bikini from the 1st "stitch and bitch" book!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006 06:53:36 PM »

Sorry still no help but I feel for you. I don't have the book but I just looked at the pix on the web page and it is indeed TINY. I checked the corrections page and it says
Queen of Hearts Bikini: Instructions for Cups should read: At the same time, beg small heart chart on row 13 (15, 17, 19)...
which is what you said (maybe you got a newer edition of the book that had it corrected).

I checked the SNB page and found this thread and on page three there is talk of doing 22 rows of st sts first. There are some close up pix on page 4 and 5 and it looks like there is quite a bit of stockingette before the decreases and the one pix that has the heart you can see the decreases start between the top curves of the heart.

I think that is the answer - knit 22 rows st sts and start the pattern on row 17 - yea!!!

Does the book have something that might vaguely lead you to believe you should do that much first.

PS - most of the folks on that thread said the top is small - you might wanna check it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
PowerPoint Video Overlay Text
Using AutoSave in Microsoft Office 2010
Making Image Adjustments in Photoshop CS4
Using the Rotate View in Photoshop CS4
Using Content-Aware Scaling in Photoshop CS4
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...