A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: copyright question  (Read 1037 times)
Tags for this thread: copyright  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pibbgirl
« on: February 28, 2006 10:53:55 AM »

Sorry if this was discussed before...I did a search and only came up with a bunch of sweater posts, something is goofy there.

Anyway so I made a bag that was a pretty good hit with family and friends (the ISU one in this link: ) http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=70309.msg662345#msg662345
or this one
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=38361.msg335334#msg335334

But I was wondering if anyone knows if there would be any copyright issues for selling such a bag?  I am pretty sure its a no-no to use mascotts or the full name, but do schools have copyrights on their colors and abbreviations?  College or High School?

I want to sell them on etsy and it would be hard for me to ask each school sepretly because they would pretty much be a custom item to the buyers school...  Bad idea?

thanks
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006 11:13:25 AM by pibbgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fairyprincessbeaniebaby
"Nobody's ever asked me to a party before, as a friend! Is that why you dyed your eyebrow, for the party? Should I do mine, too?" -Luna Lovegood

thats right. l saw THE ROLLING STONES in concert!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006 11:01:14 AM »

i dont quite know legally, but i think that if you make sweatshirts, or something else like that that they make/sell that would be a no-no, but if you made wristbands, or a ruched purse that would be okay, cos its different markets. this is not legal advice so if im wrong, im wrong, ok?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd find the prettiest boy in school, take him home and neatly f**k him "
 -David Bowie
"Whether your browning, searing, or just setting things on fire a kitchen blowtorch is fun for the whole family!"
-Tom, QEftSG
http://www.piczo.com/ireallyfancypirates

Lover of all things kitch, retro, and
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006 03:44:55 PM »

No one can claim a copyright on color combinations, but if you use names or other images used by teams, schools, etc. it's best to contact the school in question and just ask them if it's acceptable or not. Who knows, they might end up wanting to advertise you if they think your product raises awareness/spirit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ricecake
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006 10:39:37 AM »

Just a little bit of clarification--it would not be a copyright issue, but rather a trademark one.

Copyrights accrue to "works of authorship"-the typical painting or book, or software code, whereas trademarks are  rights that accrue to names, logos, other forms of identification.  You might want to check out the wiki entry for a little more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark#Fundamental_concepts

From my perspective, selling something that has a college's name looks to be a technical violation of that college's trademark rights.  Like CraftyChef said, it would be difficult to state or argue that the mere color combinations would be distinctive enough to become that college's trademark-but I'd stay away from advertising it as "an ISU bag" or using the college name, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dcunited11

DCU [champs] 1996-1997-1999-2004

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006 08:28:58 PM »

i have a similar question: i want to see some of my marble magnets on etsy, with some of them being soccer themed. is it alright to have a logo of a sports team? what about a famous person? logo of anything?

i know those might seem like stupid questions for veterans, but i am new & don't want to screw my first time on etsy up....thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kobedog

www.kobedog.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006 11:56:21 AM »

i have a similar question: i want to see some of my marble magnets on etsy, with some of them being soccer themed. is it alright to have a logo of a sports team? what about a famous person? logo of anything?

i know those might seem like stupid questions for veterans, but i am new & don't want to screw my first time on etsy up....thanks in advance!

from what i was told, as long as you don't sell something as, say, mickey mouse marble magnets, it is okay. for example, let's say you use mickey mouse stickers for the images behind the marbles. i was told you can sell them if you advertise them as marble magnets, complete with free mickey mouse stickers, or something similar. i'm not sure if this is true or not, just relaying what i was told. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner
fairyprincessbeaniebaby
"Nobody's ever asked me to a party before, as a friend! Is that why you dyed your eyebrow, for the party? Should I do mine, too?" -Luna Lovegood

thats right. l saw THE ROLLING STONES in concert!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006 02:32:36 AM »

from what i was told, as long as you don't sell something as, say, mickey mouse marble magnets, it is okay. for example, let's say you use mickey mouse stickers for the images behind the marbles. i was told you can sell them if you advertise them as marble magnets, complete with free mickey mouse stickers, or something similar. i'm not sure if this is true or not, just relaying what i was told. Smiley
actually, if you buy something like mickey mouse stikers, as long as the skickers are from disney and are legal, you can resell them in any wayshape or form, if you mention that you bought the sdtickers from disney/used disney stickers...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd find the prettiest boy in school, take him home and neatly f**k him "
 -David Bowie
"Whether your browning, searing, or just setting things on fire a kitchen blowtorch is fun for the whole family!"
-Tom, QEftSG
http://www.piczo.com/ireallyfancypirates

Lover of all things kitch, retro, and
kobedog

www.kobedog.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006 01:57:30 PM »

actually, if you buy something like mickey mouse stikers, as long as the skickers are from disney and are legal, you can resell them in any wayshape or form, if you mention that you bought the sdtickers from disney/used disney stickers...
[/quote]

that's good to know, and settles some of my worries too Smiley
thanks for the info.
cindi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Indian Henna Designs
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Overglaze and Finishing
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Adding Shadows and Highlights
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Sponge Texture
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Additional Layering
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...