A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I live in Japan and can fulfill all your 100 yen or kawaii needs. Swap?  (Read 17318 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catisoutside
« on: March 21, 2006 07:42:02 AM »

Hi,

I really want to do a craft swap with someone.  I live in Japan and unfortunately, although the crafty resources available to me in this country are beyond enumerating, I have very little time and space to make use of them, thus my plea to you.

What I can offer is this: so many wonderful Japanese crafty things unavailable to all you US/UK/Canada craftsters.  The Hyaku (100) yen shops here are chock-full of potential...wonderf ully abound with strange/funny "English" phrases, mod-looking accessories, kitschy housewares, cute stationary, stickers, tons of fabrics/yarns, and just great stuff all around, stuff you never see in US dollar stores.  I've seen so many talented craftsters on here who are obsessed with anything Japanese.  I really want to share this stuff with people who will make good use of it.  I sent a boat-load of stuff to my best friend and I could send anyone else whatever they want and more.

In return I'd really like to find someone who can sew...or crochet.  I would love it if someone could sew me a really simple, lightweight fabric dress that I could wear all during my upcoming travels through Southeast Asia.  I can't seem to find one that's a suitable size or price range here in Japan.  Maybe like this, but of course with cheaper fabric, and probably not orange:

http://www.anthropologie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=10749&itemType=PRODUCT&iSubCat=298&iMainCat=17

...OR I would love a delicate crocheted necklace/crocheted pendant. If it could be anything like these, oh my:

In the meantime, I'll look for an appropriate ongoing swap that I can contribute to.  But in case you guys want Japanese stuff and you can make me something like one of the above items, please let me know!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009 11:48:27 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stifflersmom
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sassy Britches

We are the people our parents warned us about....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006 07:51:54 AM »

Oh this sounds like a fun personal swap! I can crochet.
Are the pendants crocheted over a ring? My monitor here at work isn't very good, so I can't see the details, but they don't look complicated. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As you sew, so shall you rip. Don't fear the ripper.
catisoutside
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006 08:06:07 AM »

Stifflersmom: I think they are crocheted over a ring or triangle or teardrop shape of some kind, depending on the style.  They are made by Libby McInnis, who has a website, www.libbymcinnis.co m, yet it's not very informative, but it has one closer pic of her work on the main page. I saw her designs in a magazine one time and emailed her, and she sent me some extra photos, including these.  I love the delicate style of the crochet and the colors she used! I would love any one of the styles pictured.

Also, I want to add that since I'm a pretty new craftster, I would send anything from Japan to you before you sent it out to me, just so you know you'd be getting your things from me and I won't flake out. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmmfruit
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006 08:45:44 AM »

hi! i sent you a PM. ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stifflersmom

Sassy Britches

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006 08:48:59 AM »

Thanks for the link! I think I can make the pink round one at the top for sure, and probably one of the tear drop shaped ones if I can find something for the structure. Do you know if it's metal or heavy paper? I'm going thrifting/shopping tonite, and I'll peek around to see if I can find a suitable structure to crochet around.

And I think I could figure out the large purple hoop one. Cheesy

I'll post again later with the results of my searching. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catisoutside
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006 09:43:49 AM »

Oooh, I would love the pink one or one of the teardrop ones or the purple hoop, any of them really!  From the pictures she sent me it looks like she crocheted around metal for most of them, and for a couple others she used a wood material.  Honestly, your own artistic discretion regarding the structure would probably suit me just fine.  Here's a pic of one of the more elaborate wooden ones, but to me, the most important part is the crochet with the thin-type yarn...it's something I'm just totally incapable of (the only thing I've ever crocheted was a potholder.)

If you think you could make me a crochet pendant using a metal frame (or any kind of frame), I'm so excited: send me a PM with a list of the things you want from Japan.  In addition to all the stuff I mentioned, there are also cute bento box sets, party favors, magic tricks/kids games, cute figurines/vending machine toys/oddities, and probably everything else you can think of.  Let me know!   Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011 09:28:45 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stifflersmom

Sassy Britches

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006 10:03:12 AM »

Do you have any links to the hyaku-en shops online? I've seen them before, but I've lost the links. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catisoutside
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006 10:50:40 AM »

Here is one website that's in Japanese but you can click on random links and see some stuff.  http://www.cando-web.co.jp/item.htm Over all, it's a pretty terrible representation of what's available. Can Do is one of my favorite shops, too! The website doesn't do them justice.  Tomorrow I am going to some 100 yen shops and I will take pictures of the real stuff. Overall, the 100 yen places sell a lot of the cool/interesting stuff you can see on kawaiigifts.com, along with housewares and stuff too.  Also, this girl is AWESOME, everything you see on this page was made from 100 yen items: http://homepage2.nifty.com/whoko/sonota.htm

Oh also, there is Muji here, which you might have heard of.  You can check out their website too: www.muji.co.jp  I think they may have an English site, too. It's not 100 yen or anything, but it's chic minimalistic stuff that sells in the US only at the MOMA design store and a few other select places, and for much more.  If you want something from them, you can tell me too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
washu
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006 11:13:42 AM »

I'm one of those "who love everything Japanese" and a fair seamtress.  I could make your dress for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftykate
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006 12:49:43 PM »

Aww, man why don't you want anything that's knit?  Sad

Just kidding...mostly.
I love those crocheted necklaces. Beautiful! Maybe someday when I have learned to crochet better I can make myself one. I really like them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Grilled Barbecue Chicken Skewers
How to Make Rum Muffins
Sweet Potato Pie
Roasted Pepper and Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce
Arctic Char Filet with Citrus Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...