A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: single girl swap?  (Read 2703 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Writer78
« on: March 20, 2006 03:37:54 PM »

I was getting a little wistful as I read about the wedding swap, currently going on for those who are engaged.  What would anyone think about a Single Girl Swap?  This is not intended as an anti-wedding-swap thing or any kind of slam on the happily coupled; it's just an outlet for those of us who aren't paired up with anybody.

The only "problem" I can think of is that different people have different approaches to singleness.  Ones I can think of: dreaming/hopeful of finding "the one"; bitter and cynical about men; super-charged girl power; focusing on showing love to others/creating your own happiness; sad/lonely; recently broken up; happily single by choice; and I'm sure there's more.

Perhaps each person could state their "singles style" so that they get something that suits them - comfort for the sad, empowerment for the feisty, sass for the angry, etc.

The problem I'm hitting, starting out, is - how does one craft for this?  I did get a lovely Valentine's gift in Unconditional from porfiry - it included a Victorian valentine and a number of luxuries - fancy chocolates, scented soap, etc.  She also made me a sachet that's simple and heart shape and is embroidered with the word "courage."  It touched me deeply and was just what I needed.  (Though I know different styles would be encouraged by different approaches!)

Any ideas about whether/how this would work?  And would it be best to limit it to single/not dating/etc., or should it be open to those dating but not engaged/married?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft_t_chic
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006 03:42:23 PM »

As someone who is looking to be single, and looking for that courage to get rid of the boy, and looking to continue with the empowerment and remind myself that I am just as strong single as I am with someone, I absolutely LOVE this idea. I love the thought of being able to pass on some positivity to someone else, too! What a great idea!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your promo stickers...your fave local band, your etsy shop, your zine, a sticker you picked off a bar wall, or even bumper stickers! I'm covering a table & need stickers! PM me!

http://www.wists.com/craft_t_chic

Free gift with every purchase!
www.crafttchic.etsy.com
pink_seatbelts

dirtay souf!! w00t!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006 06:43:27 PM »

i think this is great. while everyone wishes they had a boyfriend after some sappylifetime movie shows up, they're really a pain and only good for the sex. ( Grin kidding!)
long live being single1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/thenewbohemia <---La Vie Boheme is the shish, and you are jealous.
Writer78
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006 07:39:18 PM »

cool, I think each of you have demonstrated how many different views of singleness there are!   Grin  (I myself am mainly a dreamy/wistful/lonely/hopeful type, if that makes any sense!)

What kind of swap items come to mind?  I think our sassier chicks might enjoy teeshirts; I don't think one would really work for me.  (Who wants to wear an "I'm getting older all the time and wish I had a boyfriend or fiancee because I'm lonely" shirt??  Yeah, there's a real showing of self-confidence.)   Roll Eyes  Anyway, my approach would probably be along the lines of the V-day gift I received: little luxuries to make my single-gal swap partner feel pretty and girly and special.  Chocolate is always good for that, and I don't think you can ever go wrong with fancy bath soaps.  I really like revamping Altoid tins, and I'm still working on my sewing/embroidery skills. 

I sent hertrigger a little pink zipper pouch around V-day; it had a heart with an arrow (and dripping blood) that read "He loves me not."  (Yeah, I have my bitter side!)  Maybe a decorated goody like that would be nice; something to carry with you and remind you - well, in hertrigger's case, I guess my message was, "Men are jerks."  Which is not usually the message I want to send, but there was this guy, and, well...  Let's jsut say that particular embroidery project was good therapy.   Wink  But I could see taking the heart/courage theme from porfiry and making a little trinket that a gal can carry with her as a reminder.

Other ideas?  What would you enjoy receiving in this kind of theme?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahrah

What the deuce?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006 09:24:25 AM »

I think the appeal of the swaps is that it allows the craftee to be as creative as possible - take the type of single attitude, and run with it! stalk your recipient to see their personality and craft according to them. I think this sounds like fun, and if I get feedback on my first swap before signups close I might join Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"it's when you cry just a little, but laugh in the middle - that you've make it" - Jason Mraz
http://www.wists.com/dishy/
pink_seatbelts

dirtay souf!! w00t!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006 08:37:55 AM »

I think the appeal of the swaps is that it allows the craftee to be as creative as possible - take the type of single attitude, and run with it! stalk your recipient to see their personality and craft according to them. I think this sounds like fun, and if I get feedback on my first swap before signups close I might join Smiley

i really like that idea. (and it turns out that after all i might not be single pretty soon. i'm kind of having mixed emotions on that.  Undecided) but like, i totally understand the whole wistful, i wish my prince charming was here kinda thing. so like maybe the wistful ones we could send the kind of valentine's gift that writer 78 got. something sweet and cute. i also like that  zipper pouch with the men are jerks kinda theme. we are women and we are better than men. they should be falling over themselves to get to usGrin but i think this is a fantastic idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/thenewbohemia <---La Vie Boheme is the shish, and you are jealous.
BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006 11:40:14 AM »

This could be fun! I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this one (are most craftsters hooked up?   Huh).

I would be interested, as always depending on timing etc.  I'm starting to feel a little swapped out (mainly because my family's birthdays are going by and they're only getting gift certificates, meanwhile I've been knitting for swaps  Embarrassed).  Anyway... I think that we could have a lot of fun with this one, and that maybe there could be a question in the sign-up about your attitude about being single (ok with it? sad? angry? jubilant? empowered?) to help people figure out what to make.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
grannystylee
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006 06:03:58 PM »

I'm interested but also I'm waiting for several cool swaps to start so it depends on timing.  This would be great therapy/empowerment crafting, my ideas are all over the place for this one.  I'll keep thinking on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Writer78
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006 06:23:08 PM »

I am in the Unconditional April swap, and I want to do the Thrift Store Art Revamp challenge.  Between those, writing projects (that I've been reeeeally lazy about), prep for best friend's May wedding, and real life, I don't have any plans to immediately take this forward.

I'll warn you, I'm notorious for posting ideas - or posting enthusiastically in other swap idea threads - and then losing interest a couple days later.  I absolutely refuse to ever flake on anyone, so at least I lose interest before signing up!   Roll Eyes

Point is, if you see this theme and want to organize it, go for it - no "pride of authorship" here.  If you want to wait, I may get to it later, but I can't guarantee, with this short attention span...   Tongue

shout-out to all my single girl peeps!  (Dont' you love it when lame 28 years olds try to use slang??)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006 06:47:07 AM »

I'll warn you, I'm notorious for posting ideas - or posting enthusiastically in other swap idea threads - and then losing interest a couple days later.  I absolutely refuse to ever flake on anyone, so at least I lose interest before signing up!   Roll Eyes

Oh, I so hear you on that one! I try not to reply to posts on this new swap idea board a lot of the time, because I was getting embarassed that I kept saying, "what a fab idea! I'd do it!" and then, when it became a swap, not joining in due to other commitments. But yeah, better to do it before than during the swap!

shout-out to all my single girl peeps!  (Dont' you love it when lame 28 years olds try to use slang??)

I don't think you're lame, writer... I think you're coooooool.   Cool   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How The Light Gets In 2012: What the Patrons of the Festival Thought
Jim McEnery on the Book Hell in the Pacific
Fantasy Writers on Their First Steps in the Field
Jeffrey Eugenides on What Makes a Good Film Adaptation
Joyce Carol Oates on Violence in Writing
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...