A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Sculpy Push Pins  (Read 4634 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mean_green_machine
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006 02:42:48 PM »

those are so cute....you should sell them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Doesn't creating make you feel powerful?
bluecat
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006 02:47:23 PM »

I love you Diane B. Your posts are always so helpful and your site rules.

About these thumbtacks, since there is no glue used, wouldn't they eventually weaken and crack because when you stick them in something (wall, cork board etc.) and them have to pull them out, Aren't you putting stress on the clay, not the glue (because you didn't use any)??

If the glue eventually gave out you could reglue it. But if the clay gives out then it would be much harder to fix and maybe not fixable. Or am I just overthinking this whole thing? hehe...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lollipop is candy/garbage
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006 04:45:51 PM »

My sis and I have been making these pins for years now.
We prefer Sculpey over any other clay beacause of its simplicity and versatility.
They have never broken the key is to make them thick enough.
Glue often lets go.
Try it and see, after 5 years from the first one we made the clay is still holding strong after much use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you are diabetic in that case insulin is.
klutzygirljenn

Crazy Glue really does stick 2 your fingers!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006 05:00:02 PM »

That bis so freaking awesome!!  I have scupley clay sitting here, you just gave me tons of ideas!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Live life to the fullest, cause if life weren't worth living, then why live at all!" - Moi
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006 08:04:02 PM »

I love you Diane B. Your posts are always so helpful and your site rules.

Aw-w-w.... thanks  Grin

About these thumbtacks, since there is no glue used, wouldn't they eventually weaken and crack because when you stick them in something (wall, cork board etc.) and them have to pull them out, Aren't you putting stress on the clay, not the glue (because you didn't use any)??
If the glue eventually gave out you could reglue it. But if the clay gives out then it would be much harder to fix and maybe not fixable. Or am I just overthinking this whole thing? hehe...

You're not overthinking at all... those are the kinds of details that can cause heartbreak.  We run into them all the time in polymer clay.

So the deal in this case is.... if you made thumbtacks where the clay wrapped around the tack head, or all the way around even covering the back, creating a "mechanical hold," and then properly baked them, a strong clay would never "give out" from stress (...it could be abraided or cut though, if stressed by rough or sharp things over time, of course). 

That's not true for Sculpey though --and now FimoSoft as well-- unless any of the stressed areas of clay are fairly thick... then they'd probably be okay.  Those clays are just more "brittle" in thin areas though because of their formulations, and can snap or chip if stressed.  The stronger clays (Premo, FimoClassic, Kato, Cernit) would simply bend if stressed.... they're not "brittle" (you'll notice that even the surface of a strong clay and a weak one are different; one is harder, one is a bit "softer." 
(In fact, if you made a thin strip of a strong clay, baked it properly, and then tried to tear or break it, you probably couldn't do it.)

When any of the brands are thick though, they're stronger (still relative to total thickness and total stress though).  Plus, rounded, thick items like balls, etc., are such inherently strong shapes all by themselves that they're almost impossible to break even with a more brittle clay like Sculpey or the new version of FimoSoft.

This is not to say that you might not prefer to use a glue underneath the clay as well for even more strength, or to prevent wriggle if the clay isn't tight to the metal  --using a strong white glue, then letting it tack up before adding the clay can give a little tooth to the metal, so that's can maybe be good idea anyway... and/or using a bit of liquid clay even beside the white glue could give even more strength too.  But, those things aren't really necessary for strength.

Diane B.
GlassAttic ...polymer clay "encyclopedia"
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm

If you want an all-polymer clay board here at craftster, vote here!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=72141.msg813624#msg813624

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006 10:14:01 PM »

I suppose it's up to the users experience, but as I said before none of our pins have broken at the tack part.  So until I encounter a single problem like that I will use sculpey and also encourage others to use it as well.
Fimo is harder to work with, it crumbles and its more difficult to work with thats all
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2006 03:46:19 PM »

I suppose it's up to the users experience, but as I said before none of our pins have broken at the tack part. 

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that all Sculpey-covered tacks would break.  For one thing,  your tacks are completely embedded, so those parts of the clay should be pretty strong since they have an armature underneath (...as long as the clay covering isn't really thin).

I would be suprised though if any of the parts without armatures, added to the tack head for example, didn't break in thin areas when stressed.  That's just the nature of those really soft clays (probably because of the amount of plasticizer required to make them that way).

. . . I will use sculpey and also encourage others to use it as well.  Fimo is harder to work with, it crumbles and its more difficult to work with thats all

True, especially if you don't buy FimoClassic "fresh" online, though Premo is one very good alternate choice because it's both strong after baking and softer than FimoClassic when raw.

Each to his own though!   I guess I've just seen too many heart-broken kids (and adults) who'd worked hard on a Sculpey item, only to see it break after awhile.  They never knew why, and never knew it could be avoided by using a stronger brand, so many of them just gave up on polymer clay in frustration.  Cry

Diane B.
--- polymer clay "encyclopedia"
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006 11:37:08 PM »

well no heartbreak here
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thetiniestspark
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006 11:41:23 AM »

Those are really cool!  I should make some South Park ones for my little brother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ansleah
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006 03:30:44 PM »

Love the South Park ones!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Leonardo
How to Draw Kou Ichinomiya
How to Draw Kisaragi Ryuji
How to Draw Kinji Tohyama
Tips For Using Type in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...